David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/21/20 11:51 a.m.
feature_image

Eager to rejoin the action but have questions regarding, you know, stuff going on today? The SCCA has posted COVID-19 safety precautions, and they’re specific for each program. 

Some closing comments from SCCA President Mike Cobb:

“As we re-engage, let us continue to work as One Team to deliver a safe, fun, and exciting motorsports experience for all of …

Read the rest of the story

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/20 3:42 p.m.

That seems like a solid plan. It will take some time for people to adapt & adopt it, but it should help.

There seems to be some contradicting wording though: in the Event Planning Guidelines it states 

• Require or strongly encourage all participants and workers to wear masks, for not only their own safety but for the safety of everyone on-site"

However, in the Solo & Rally section Outdoor Specialty Areas it states 

• Encourage workers to wear masks when a 6-foot distance cannot be followed

Which makes it seem masks are only encouraged/required when social-distancing isn't possible. 

Kylini
Kylini Dork
5/21/20 4:22 p.m.

From the flagging & communications side, I'm not sure how blue and yellow flaggers can stay a safe distance apart while also being able to grab each other in the event of an off-track excursion. Tricky problem to solve...

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/20 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Kylini :

Really you can't too easily. That's part of the reason I'm a little leary of working races through this year. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/21/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Kylini :

At least be back to back- so the breathing is going in opposite directions.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/21/20 5:57 p.m.

I've read that the primary issue is close proximity to others within enclosed spaces. Two people wearing masks within a few feet of one another while outside are probably safe. The key part being that everyone is wearing a mask.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
5/21/20 6:45 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

I've read that the primary issue is close proximity to others within enclosed spaces. Two people wearing masks within a few feet of one another while outside are probably safe. The key part being that everyone is wearing a mask.

It's a function of proximity and time. Outdoors helps, but you're standing next to the same person all day, which hurts. It's possible to have only one person per corner, but it definitely isn't ideal.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/21/20 7:23 p.m.
Kylini said:
MrFancypants said:

It's a function of proximity and time. Outdoors helps, but you're standing next to the same person all day, which hurts. It's possible to have only one person per corner, but it definitely isn't ideal.

I'd say that one person station isn't safe.  You need eyes in every direction there could be a car.  I'm sure some layouts could facilitate that, but in the past most I've been to required stations inside the course.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 New Reader
5/27/20 3:45 p.m.

How to safely return to the track:

Once you've stopped spinning/sliding/rolling and are back on all 4 wheels, slowly drive back to the edge of the pavement you recently left at a high rate of speed just moments ago, while checking to see if any/how many/which parts of the car are still attached. Stop , look, and listen for other cars closing on your location but still ON the track, get on the radio with your spotter/pits/tow truck driver and ask if they can see any traffic coming towards you at impressive velocities, and do your best to avoid them - now is NOT the time to worry about how many places you're falling behind, that was right BEFORE you ran out of traction and talent entering the corner. Once there is a reasonable gap in cars zipping inches away from your radiator, pull quickly but safely back onto the track, AWAY FROM THE RACING LINE. DUH. Accelerate as best you can, staying to edge of the track, while you drop gravel, grass, mud, dirt, and the random trackside banner. Stay out of other cars' way - they are at least still IN the race, while you sputter, shudder, rattle, shake, and shimmy back to the pits.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VVtoykjduYvLT0iFO9IHMvd0jWz2VxqZc0BeGeKO55chMO2qe9XKAu4CCaUxlqrX