the staff of Motorsport Marketing
the staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
12/8/16 1:32 p.m.

Story by Peter Argetsinger

Rain driving is something many drivers approach with fear and trepidation, but with a few tricks of the trade, it could be something to look forward to. Remember, the challenge of negotiating a wet and slippery track is not yours alone. Solve the problems of traction and visibility better than your fellow competitors, and you may find that elusive advantage not available in the dry. The rain is recognized as the great horsepower equalizer; because grip is diminished, driving skill suddenly plays a bigger role than inequities created through better equipment and bigger budgets. To consider the challenge, let’ s look at three major ares of concern:

1) Visibility: This may seem obvious enough, but lack of visibility can be a major problem. 2) Setup: What can we do to enhance the performance of a car in the wet? 3) Technique: How should we alter our driving style? In particular, what changes should we make to our line, braking points and accelerating?

Read the rest of the story

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/8/16 4:13 p.m.

Apparently Max Verstappen read this article when he was a wee tike.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/8/16 5:43 p.m.

Sounds just like ice racing.

We have a couple Spec Ford racers that excel in the rain and fog. They credit yearly racing on ice.

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
12/11/16 9:23 a.m.

Did my best racing in the rain. Loved that outside line! Still kills me to see people racing in the wet doggedly sticking to the traditional line.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
1/3/18 12:46 p.m.

I love autocrossing in the rain, great way to learn the car!

Our Preferred Partners
rz6XexGxZpg262HYtbOGVlxiS1KzxUxB