NOHOME Dork
July 22, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Quick report on a fun day.

Local Solo club secured an airport to stage slaloms. Very long high speed events (3rd gear slaloms sections) tempted me out of my dislike of cones.

As a very occasional solo driver (every 6-8 year I do one) I don't tend to set the course on fire. But after the official runs, I did a couple of fun runs with the traction control fully off.

I can say one definitive thing about the FRS...It will recover from some RIDICULOUS sideways antics! MY passenger, who was ribbing me for taking it too easy during the competition, was pretty sure I was going to spin off into the rhubarb.

And for some reason, it certainly did not feel underpowered.

evildky Dork
July 22, 2013 1:07 p.m.

I got to drive an FRS/BRZ at a school and it was an amazing car to drive, felt much more powerful than I expected and just loves to be pushed hard.

July 22, 2013 3:16 p.m.
evildky wrote: I got to drive an FRS/BRZ at a school and it was an amazing car to drive, felt much more powerful than I expected and just loves to be pushed hard.

I think they are much quicker than a lot of people give them credit for. For comparison, an E36 M3 is about 6.1 sec 0-60, the FRS is 6.2. Sure it's no Z06, but it's still not slow. My experience is that they are faster than they feel, especially on the street, as you get a nice linear acceleration curve. I still want one!

wlkelley3 SuperDork
July 22, 2013 7:55 p.m.

I too drove one at a school and feel the same way. Enough power to get the job done. Yeah, faster than they feel. Certainly no worse than a Miata, maybe a bit quicker.

mtn UltimaDork
July 22, 2013 8:12 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: My experience is that they are faster than they feel, especially on the street, as you get a nice linear acceleration curve. I still want one!

I think that might be my big problem with it--for something that is going to be on the street rather than the track 99.99% of the time, I would rather have somethign that feels faster than it is.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
July 22, 2013 9:39 p.m.

I don't know, it has a similar weight/power ratio as an '06+ Miata doesn't it?

I certainly don't have any problems. Although it's not as exhilarating as the Mustang was.

mad_machine MegaDork
July 23, 2013 7:00 a.m.

I think people wanting moar power are the ones who want to go drifting.. without realizing that is not the reason for the car.

mtn UltimaDork
July 23, 2013 8:40 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I think people wanting moar power are the ones who want to go drifting.. without realizing that is not the reason for the car.

I am one who wants moar power. I drive a Miata that has a Flyin Miata suspension, Star Specs, tow hitch, and a cat-back exhaust as the only mods. Before that I was in a BMW 318ic; before that a SAAB 9-5. I should be the guy screaming "IT DOESN"T NEED MORE POWER THAT IS NOT THE POINT", but I'm not. I actually think it is the delivery of the power that gets me. Rev the piss out of it, and it hits redline with a mighty blah.

Of course, I say this knowing that the car would be driven 99% on the street, and that is where it would likely annoy me. Even with all of that, it is still a frontrunner for my next car in a year or three.

NOHOME Dork
July 23, 2013 10:52 a.m.

and it hits redline with a mighty blah.

No E36 M3! The rev-limiter on this thing is a killjoy. Every other car out there just bounces on the rev limiter and keeps going if say it is the last cone on the slalom. The FRS falls off the edge of the earth when the limiter comes on; you really do not want to hit it if you are trying to go fast.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
July 23, 2013 11:24 a.m.
mtn wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I think people wanting moar power are the ones who want to go drifting.. without realizing that is not the reason for the car.

I am one who wants moar power. I drive a Miata that has a Flyin Miata suspension, Star Specs, tow hitch, and a cat-back exhaust as the only mods. Before that I was in a BMW 318ic; before that a SAAB 9-5. I should be the guy screaming "IT DOESN"T NEED MORE POWER THAT IS NOT THE POINT", but I'm not. I actually think it is the delivery of the power that gets me. Rev the piss out of it, and it hits redline with a mighty blah.

Of course, I say this knowing that the car would be driven 99% on the street, and that is where it would likely annoy me. Even with all of that, it is still a frontrunner for my next car in a year or three.

If you aren't cornering hard enough to adjust the car with your right foot, you don't need anymore power.

DaveEstey UltraDork
July 23, 2013 3:50 p.m.

I drove one in anger at an AutoX and it needed more power or about 400 pounds less weight.

Keith Tanner MegaDork
July 23, 2013 3:53 p.m.
mtn wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: My experience is that they are faster than they feel, especially on the street, as you get a nice linear acceleration curve. I still want one!

I think that might be my big problem with it--for something that is going to be on the street rather than the track 99.99% of the time, I would rather have somethign that feels faster than it is.

Excellent point. On the street, the sensation of speed is a lot more fun than actual speed. See: classic Mini, bugeye Sprite, NA/NB Miata.

Advan046 New Reader
July 24, 2013 1:01 p.m.

I too am looking forward to the used FRS/BRZ car market. I hope to add it to the fleet some years out. I think if it is even close to my NA Miata (I never removed the hardtop BTW) I would love it.

Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
July 24, 2013 2:34 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
evildky wrote: I got to drive an FRS/BRZ at a school and it was an amazing car to drive, felt much more powerful than I expected and just loves to be pushed hard.

I think they are much quicker than a lot of people give them credit for. For comparison, an E36 M3 is about 6.1 sec 0-60, the FRS is 6.2. Sure it's no Z06, but it's still not slow. My experience is that they are faster than they feel, especially on the street, as you get a nice linear acceleration curve. I still want one!

While I don't feel the FR-S is horribly underpowered, it doesn't feel nearly as quick (or fast) as my E36 M3. I don't think those times are accurate. I'd think more like M3--- 0-60 in 5.7 or so and the FR-S maybe 6.5. Not slow--- but not nearly as quick as the BMW.

This is reinforced as I've just retuned from a LAPS Inc. track day at Road America. There was a nicely prepped FR-S in my run group and my M3 had no troubles walking away from it handily down the straights. Of course he SLAUGHTERED me through the carousel. Overall his times were faster, but my car was clearly more powerful.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

What Do You Get When You Cross a Modern Honda and a Vintage BMW?

36 minutes ago in News

Find out in the next issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

2017 Nissan Armada Platinum

2 hours ago in New Car Reviews

The Nissan Armada is the brand's largest non-commercial vehicle and is a direct competitor to Chevy's Suburban and Ford's Expedition. ...

Tech Tips: 2015+ Ford Mustang

22 hours ago in Articles

How to make it your way.

Speciality Insurance for Our Special M3?

1 day ago in Project Cars

Can you save 15% or more with Hagerty?

First Drive: 2017 Subaru BRZ Performance Package

2 days ago in Articles

We’ve heard it before: The Subaru BRZ doesn’t make enough horsepower.

10 Cars to Buy Now

2 days ago in News

Hagerty recently announced the top 10 classic cars to buy in 2017.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Cone-Killing Camaro

3 days ago in News

This one's a work in progress, but we can't wait to see the finished product.

Get Our Magazine in Print and Digital for just $17.99

3 days ago in News

Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.

Treading on Thick Ice

3 days ago in News

How do you improve your car control in the racing off season?

Strap In

6 days ago in Articles

Is your racing harness installed correctly?

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Inscription

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

Volvo's XC90 is the manufacturer's luxury SUV and this—the T6 Inscription—represents the highest tier of that model. And to triple ...

Flyweight Flier

1 week ago in Articles

The masses may not view the Mazda2 as much of a sports car, but enthusiasts have learned otherwise.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
BQp5airps9K4ydFOFcjUkzEU2JYXCyYB