mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/18/09 11:18 p.m.

I'm building a V6 for my chevette and when I'm done I'm going to put the 1.6 on an engine stand and see what I can get out of it. I was thinking of using a sportbike ITB setup sense I can get one for 75 with the ecu fuel rail and all. Another option would be making an intake manifold a doing a turbo setup.

I guessing that mega squirt would be about the only way to tune this. How much does mega squirt cost for the most basic setup? How hard is it to setup the mega squirt an tune it?

Any suggestions?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
3/19/09 8:02 a.m.

Megasquirt would be the cheapest way to do it. If you can read and comprehend, anything is possible.

Also: megamanual.com and msextra.com

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/19/09 10:09 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: Megasquirt would be the cheapest way to do it. If you can read and comprehend, anything is possible. Also: megamanual.com and msextra.com

My reading comprehension sucks bad, and I built a Megasquirt, ITB setup, and custom fuel rail for my Rabbit in less than a month. It fired right up too. So yeah, if you can read and comprehend, anything is possible. Even if you suck at it, Megasquirt is possible.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/19/09 11:24 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote: Because you can't be bothered to google. MSefi.com and diyautotune.com

Sorry, didn't know I couldn't ask questions on a forum.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
3/19/09 12:19 p.m.

No worries. :) We're not nearly as inclined to hunt people down for not using the search button as on some other forums. I hope it stays that way. The folks at DIYautotune.com are GREAT, and the megasquirt product is awesome. I first started using MS in the yahoo group days, and was in on the first buy for boards: it's grown and evolved tremendously since then. I haven't put the MS in anything lately, but the fact that I used the same board for everything from a Briggs&Stratton 3.5hp to an SRT-4 2.4 speaks volumes for it's capability. Not only that, but it's relatively easy to implement!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/19/09 12:23 p.m.

If Toyman can do MS then anybody can do it.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/19/09 10:40 p.m.

What does megasquirt have to control for it to run? Just the AFR?

ww
ww Dork
3/19/09 11:06 p.m.

It can control as little as fuel (based on AFR's) and as much as spark, boost, methanol/water injection...

For the whole story, check out:

www.megasquirt.info

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
3/21/09 11:52 a.m.
mrdontplay wrote: What does megasquirt have to control for it to run? Just the AFR?

Megasquirt would need, at a minimum, the following inputs to run reliably:

• Engine speed
  • MAP sensor or TPS (it has a MAP sensor built in)
  • Coolant temperature sensor
  • Intake air temperature sensor

An O2 sensor definitely helps, preferably a wideband, and it's best to have both a TPS and a MAP sensor. But it doesn't need a huge number of inputs to run.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/21/09 12:42 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
mrdontplay wrote: What does megasquirt have to control for it to run? Just the AFR?
Megasquirt would need, at a minimum, the following inputs to run reliably: - Engine speed - MAP sensor or TPS (it has a MAP sensor built in) - Coolant temperature sensor - Intake air temperature sensor An O2 sensor definitely helps, preferably a wideband, and it's best to have both a TPS and a MAP sensor. But it doesn't need a huge number of inputs to run.

Awsome answer, thanks a lot man!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
3/23/09 12:19 p.m.

You're welcome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IDR8DDbaCCcORyscUqA3Fdr2fo3YdBLRFa9eSYYOnikrGscFle75g3aXPYDraHbv