dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/10 6:15 p.m.

So car dies today get it towed home.

Narrow it down to fuel.

I was messing with things and discovered that if I unplug any one of the 4 injectors it runs (bad but it runs)

I pulled the DME and went over the whole thing with a soldering iron. The car appeared to work normal for about 5 minutes then died and revered back to no run unless one injector is unplugged.

Since there are two injector circuit (one for cylinders 1&2 and one for cylinders 3&4) and unplugging any of the injectors makes it run I don't think it is a wiring harness issue.

I ohmed the injectors and they checked out (2.4 R). I ohmed the harness and it seemed ok. I checked voltage at the injectors and it was ok. I have yet to unplug the DME and ohm out the harness back the to DME. Tomorrow mornings project.

So My thoughts

1. DME has gone bad
  2. Fuel pump has gone bad and can only keep up with three injectors
  3. FPR has gone bad or is dying (I checked the vaccule line and there was not fuel)
  4. ??????

Anyone got any ideas?

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
11/27/10 6:32 p.m.

Off the top of my head, you might check the impedance on the injectors to see if one of them is significantly higher or lower than the rest. This might mess with ability of the DME to trigger them.

I assume you have done this already, but check/clean the grounds on everything.

dean1484
11/27/10 6:45 p.m.

Yup ohmed the injectors all was good.

I have not done a ground check

EricM
EricM Dork
11/27/10 10:27 p.m.

DME relay. I carried a spare in the glove box at all times.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/27/10 10:30 p.m.

Clark's Garage says fuel pressure regulator is bad: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-16.htm

When the fuel pressure runs too high, the fuel injectors draw too much current causing the injector drivers in the DME computer to shut down. Disconnect on fuel injector connector and attempt to crank the engine. If the engine starts, where it would not start with all injector leads connected, the fuel pressure regulator is bad and should be replaced. Disconnecting one fuel injector plug reduces the injector driver current sufficiently to get the injector drivers to fire.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/10 10:31 p.m.
EricM wrote: DME relay. I carried a spare in the glove box at all times.

Me too.

dean1484
11/28/10 7:05 a.m.

In reply to EricM:

I carry a jumper that I made up years back.

dean1484
11/28/10 7:09 a.m.

In reply to pigeon:

I think you nailed it. I never read that part of Clark's manual. . I think I have a spare FPR in my parts pile. I know I have a FPR from a 951 I wonder if that would work? Since it would only be using the vacuum side of things I think it should. Only one way to test it out. Otherwise I have a rail I made up that I can use a generic unit. I will have to see if the local parts store has any in stock.

dean1484
11/28/10 12:32 p.m.

As a follow up I put the 951 regulator in my car and it works perfectly.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/28/10 1:28 p.m.

I like happy endings! :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbwXdbVIAtx2ZfSvaAwC9BTUhhfpwgQGymZxx67H53u0ZXEYI4lbb66WymXeYPQh