nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
11/17/18 5:44 p.m.

Im currently in the process of getting my in-tank fuel pump refunded because i spent money, waited a week and a half past its scheduled delivery date of 2 months to show up.

I've changed my mind on going from in-tank to in-line and ive decided on getting a walbro GSL 392, the 255 LPH version (possibly 394?), because it is a well spoken of brand and the models are known to be quiet if mounted low on the car w/ the mounting equip provided. 

Ive decided on AN-6 lines going to and from the engine, my only question is what size to use from the tank to the pump (it will be gravity fed). will i be ok using AN-6 stuff or should i spring for some AN-8?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/17/18 5:49 p.m.

If it is AN6 the rest of the way, just plumb it all in AN6.  Unless the tank already has AN8 fittings or something and it's easier that way.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/17/18 7:14 p.m.

Are you lifting the fuel out of the top of the tank, or feeding out a bung on the bottom?  Bottom, you might be ok with the small line, but pulling out the top I would want at least 8, or a feeder pump.

Back in the olden days, Volvo used a 1/2 inch feed line when they came out the lower side of the tank, and they were feeding 125 horsepower...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/18 7:31 p.m.

Careful with the walbro.  They don't have a good rep for the last couple of years.

A Bosch 044 would be perfect for this. 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
11/17/18 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

no, nothing prefabbed; gonna use AN fittings and JB weld to seal it up

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

bottom lol no need for extra fab for this project.

i think things have advanced a bit since those old volvo days, just wondering if i need to do the same for my project with an old tank and new pump.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

whats been going on with walbro? i havent seen this on the forums ive been lurking on

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/17/18 9:57 p.m.
TurboFocus said:

bottom lol no need for extra fab for this project.

i think things have advanced a bit since those old volvo days, just wondering if i need to do the same for my project with an old tank and new pump.

Physics hasn't changed.  Its still harder to suck than it is to blow...

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
11/18/18 4:17 a.m.

I get that, but does a modern pump mitigate those issues? 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/18 6:09 a.m.

Walbro are very loud and have a higher failure rate in the last couple of years than in the past.  I'm not entirely sure why.  I noticed this in endurance car racing.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
11/19/18 11:20 a.m.

I've been running that exact pump - the GSL-392 - on my Dodge Cummins for about 4 years now and it has been rock solid.  I have read that there are a lot of counterfeit Walbro pumps out there, maybe that is the source of all the failures?  It's also way quieter and cheaper than a Bosch 044 I also have (not on the truck), so I'm a fan. 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
11/20/18 6:42 a.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

Awesome to hear, quick question if you don't mind. What size inlet hose do you use on your truck? 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
11/20/18 1:09 p.m.
TurboFocus said:

In reply to NorseDave :

Awesome to hear, quick question if you don't mind. What size inlet hose do you use on your truck? 

AN-6.  Running it with a feed on the bottom of the tank now, but I ran it for 3+ years with a "draw straw" config going down through the top of the tank.  I had some fuel system issues earlier this year (not pump related) and in trying to sort out what was going on, I ran that pump with about 10' of -6 line on the inlet side, and the pump about 24" above the level of the pickup, and it had zero issues pulling fuel.  This was testing, so maybe if you ran it that way for years it would impact the longevity, but I think my test setup would be a rather extreme example.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
11/21/18 12:05 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

For some reason I love personal anecdotes

This puts me at peace for pulling the trigger on my fuel set up

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6z8CTv2zurx8NnMrYkavNWz7CX7BCxa5OM3rnP7ej2A739EYyMQbMllP7fYxl0Nb