David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/20 9:17 a.m.

The promise almost sounds too good to be true: Get more horsepower just by using a certain type of fuel. What’s in these magic elixirs? Oxygen. A lot of it. But like most seemingly miraculous solutions, today’s highly oxygenated fuels come with a potential trade-off.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
1/14/20 10:22 p.m.

Just bumping this up because, darn it, Chris made a nice title card for this. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/20 10:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Just bumping this up because, darn it, Chris made a nice title card for this. 

Well, you know? That he did.

David S. Wallens
1/14/20 10:30 p.m.

Thanks. Vu from PCA said the title card looked "young." 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
1/15/20 9:28 a.m.

Starts with a little extra O2 in the the VP import or Q16, then you put in E85, then you get addicted to methanol and soon enough you are blowing the crank out of the bottom of the engine with a little too much nitro. By the last bit you are destitute, so it's not a huge deal. I assume that's how most people end up on skid row.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/15/20 10:01 a.m.

I experimented with a VP oxygenated fuel when I was drag racing bikes back ~2001-2002.  It was only 94 oct, and produced a benefit of 4 rwhp on a 170hp bike engine over 91 oct pump.

For what I was doing, the small benefit (2.3%) wasn't worth the fuel cost.  Even the supercharged Coyote example above is only 1.5%.

If you absolutely need every last possible horsepower, it does work.

It also smelled bad... really bad.  I wonder if the new stuff is better?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I wonder if that was the crap a certain rallycrosser was putting in a certain Miata.  Even 50 yards away you would know right away they were refueling.  And due to an incredibly small fuel tank they had to do it often.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
1/15/20 1:22 p.m.

It has to smell bad to work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
crR9gR9WxwofxesvyxRLUT4M3jmSFd8KkmoeZBpWv7rHbkYgPfQam3M4mn7zaQC4