1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/18 8:12 a.m.
te72 said:
T.J. said:

The more I hear about these, the more I like them. My goal is to not go to a Mazda dealer and drive one of these because if I did, I'm fairly sure I'd buy one and I don't need a new car right now.

The only saving grace for me the last time I was in a Mazda dealer was that their only ND in stock was an automatic. I'm sure it's still fantastic to drive, but I have no love or much use for torque converter autos these days. Makes me wonder how much longer it will be before DCT's will be the norm.

On your original sentiment, I'm in that exact same boat.

I doubt they will with advances in torque converter autos. Even BMW has gone back to regular autos in non-M cars. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/3/18 8:19 a.m.
z31maniac said:
te72 said:
T.J. said:

The more I hear about these, the more I like them. My goal is to not go to a Mazda dealer and drive one of these because if I did, I'm fairly sure I'd buy one and I don't need a new car right now.

The only saving grace for me the last time I was in a Mazda dealer was that their only ND in stock was an automatic. I'm sure it's still fantastic to drive, but I have no love or much use for torque converter autos these days. Makes me wonder how much longer it will be before DCT's will be the norm.

I doubt they will with advances in torque converter autos. Even BMW has gone back to regular autos in non-M cars. 

I was constantly impressed by my dads 2012 Infiniti 7 speed auto. Real auto. I don't know that I could have shifted as fast as it did, and it was always in the right gear.

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/3/18 9:12 a.m.
mtn said:
z31maniac said:
te72 said:
T.J. said:

I was constantly impressed by my dads 2012 Infiniti 7 speed auto. Real auto. I don't know that I could have shifted as fast as it did, and it was always in the right gear.

The 8L90E in the Corvettes is also a hell of a piece of technology. I much prefer the auto C7s to the stick-shift cars.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/18 9:56 a.m.

^Same with the 10 speeds in the new Camaro/Mustang.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/18 11:38 a.m.
te72 said:
T.J. said:

Drive one, you may change your tune.  6-speeds, fairly quick upshifts by the steering wheel buttons/handle, throttle blips on downshifts, same gearing as the manual and more enjoyable in traffic.

te72
te72 Reader
8/4/18 12:17 a.m.
Stefan said:
te72 said:
T.J. said:

Drive one, you may change your tune.  6-speeds, fairly quick upshifts by the steering wheel buttons/handle, throttle blips on downshifts, same gearing as the manual and more enjoyable in traffic.

I'm sure they're not bad, but there are things you can do with a clutch that an auto simply cannot do. Driving my Supra at the autocross is all the proof I need of that. But for those that just want a fun car, it's great to hear that the auto is finally a viable option for those that wouldn't have a manual for whatever reason.

I have heard good things on the newer 8 and 10 speed GM and Ford units, but none of them are in anything I'd be in the market for.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
8/5/18 9:53 a.m.

It sounds like they've made it great car even better.

The biggest gripe I have with the club/sport is the wind noise coming in from the top when it's up. I don't think they've addressed this? I haven't driven a GT model, but the top on the Fiat 124 completely solves the problem.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

gt and the fiata have the same top

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
8/5/18 5:54 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to Snrub :

I had read that too, but I recently read something which suggested the Fiat has an aluminum panel inside the fabric too (Edit: Found the link: "Most important, the folding soft top has a piece of aluminum sewn into it, as well as foam padding." https://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124-spider/2017/2017-fiat-124-spider-first-drive-review/. ) I've never read this before in reference to either top. This makes me wonder if there's a bigger difference (?). Can anyone confirm or deny definitively?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/6/18 11:22 a.m.

I know you have a driving report embargo, but what about a simple yes or no answer compared to the 2018?  Is the 2019 so much better than you would better be served by waiting, even if the local dealer has the 2018 Club RFs marked $7k off?

MrChaos
8/6/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to racerdave600 :

$7k buys a good coilover set up and the FM supercharger for the ND

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/6/18 2:21 p.m.
MrChaos said:

$7k buys a good coilover set up and the FM supercharger for the ND

But then you are no longer in a street autocross class.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
8/6/18 2:47 p.m.

Are you positive the ND2 and ND1 will end up in the same class?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/6/18 3:31 p.m.

Not at all, but given SCCA history on such things, this could go either way.  

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
8/6/18 3:37 p.m.

$7k is a lot of money, a quarter of the overall price. I'd lean towards a 2018 for that difference.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/6/18 3:56 p.m.
Snrub said:

$7k is a lot of money, a quarter of the overall price. I'd lean towards a 2018 for that difference.

I have not seen Mazda discount Miatas like that in the past.  They must think the 2018's are going to be a tough sell when the '19's hit.

MrChaos
8/6/18 6:01 p.m.

i see 124's discounted like that. but then again its hard to move fiats right now

There is one semi local that is like 7-8k off right now, base 124 with tech package

MrChaos
8/12/18 12:18 p.m.

Just sitting here waiting for monday.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/18 12:21 p.m.
Snrub said:
MrChaos said:

In reply to Snrub :

I had read that too, but I recently read something which suggested the Fiat has an aluminum panel inside the fabric too (Edit: Found the link: "Most important, the folding soft top has a piece of aluminum sewn into it, as well as foam padding." https://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124-spider/2017/2017-fiat-124-spider-first-drive-review/. ) I've never read this before in reference to either top. This makes me wonder if there's a bigger difference (?). Can anyone confirm or deny definitively?

My ND LE (aka as ND1 as one can get) has a panel inside the first third of the roof. I think it's aluminium, but I haven't dug into that.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
8/12/18 12:38 p.m.

^ Interesting, thanks for confirming.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/13/18 7:06 a.m.

Weren't we supposed to talk about this this morning?

MrChaos
8/13/18 7:16 a.m.

The video reviews are slowly trickling in.

Also flyin Miata has a 19 RF gt-s they will talk about later today

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/13/18 8:26 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Mazda MX-5 Miata ND2 Review

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rY5i3fOsc2i7LyMQYbvdpvm3v8Xg8JODzHIMNFeRTnPIiMmr5rahp2yqXcUDZqzA