ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/15/15 11:25 a.m.

In reply to jstand:

Clysler-Prymoth!

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/15/15 12:04 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I see a truck around town that has a huge decal across the top of the windshield that says "Don't RAM it, STROKE it!" I am amazed every time I see it. It also is a dually with one of those giant wings on the roof that might be useful if one was pulling a 5th wheel, but this particular truck never seems to be towing or hauling anything other than the imbecile driver.

i think every diesel powered Ford is required by law to have that decal in the windshield.. and you might never see it towing a big 5th wheel trailer where you are, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't pull one somewhere else on a regular basis..

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
10/15/15 2:36 p.m.

Looks like a short bed, short cab F150 with the 2.7L Turbo, 2wd, just over 4000 lbs, and a couple options bring it in under $30k, has awesome power, and can get to 60 in WAY less than 6 seconds. C&D clocked the 4x4 2.7l at 5.7 seconds to sixty and that model weighed 4700 lbs. This thing is likely closing in on the 5 sec mark.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/15/15 2:47 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Yeah, with a CG about shoulder level...

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/15 2:48 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
T.J. wrote: I see a truck around town that has a huge decal across the top of the windshield that says "Don't RAM it, STROKE it!" I am amazed every time I see it. It also is a dually with one of those giant wings on the roof that might be useful if one was pulling a 5th wheel, but this particular truck never seems to be towing or hauling anything other than the imbecile driver.
i think every diesel powered Ford is required by law to have that decal in the windshield.. and you might never see it towing a big 5th wheel trailer where you are, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't pull one somewhere else on a regular basis..

I've seen a few Dodges around here with one that says "I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin'"

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/15 2:51 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Looks like a short bed, short cab F150 with the 2.7L Turbo, 2wd, just over 4000 lbs, and a couple options bring it in under $30k, has awesome power, and can get to 60 in WAY less than 6 seconds. C&D clocked the 4x4 2.7l at 5.7 seconds to sixty and that model weighed 4700 lbs. This thing is likely closing in on the 5 sec mark.

What?!?!? That's crazy fast for a regular old truck. I bet it pulls over 20 mpg no problem too. If only you could still buy one with a manual...

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
10/15/15 2:59 p.m.

In reply to jstein77:

Why would it have any higher a CG than the Dodge mention here?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
10/15/15 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Yeah, that was what I thought. Here is the C&D article. Sorry GRM over lords, I like your mag way better if that helps.

Notice that they got 5.7 secs with an extended cab and 4wd. They state weight is over 4800lbs whereas the 2wd truck with a 6.5ft bed and short cab should be a sold 500 lbs lighter if not more.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/15/15 3:25 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to jstein77: Why would it have any higher a CG than the Dodge mention here?

It won't...can you option a short bed, single cab with rwd only and a 3.5TT yet?

92dxman
92dxman Dork
10/15/15 3:30 p.m.

It's a shame Dodge doesn't build a Tradesman with a stick shift. A Tradesman stick shift/6 cyl with vinyl mats would be awesome. Still cool that they offer a bare bones work truck. I sat it in one at the auto show and mrs. DX laughed at me since I would need a step ladder to get into the darn thing.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
10/15/15 3:55 p.m.

My most recent vehicle purchase is relevant to this discussion. I just picked up a '15 F150 extended cab 3.5tt with rwd. It weighs 4500lb's, has 420ft/lb at 2500rpm and has a button on the column shift which can enable the '15 auto mustang transmission mapping. As soon as I have a Friday evening free, it's going to the local drag strip to get times.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/15 4:12 p.m.
92dxman wrote: It's a shame Dodge doesn't build a Tradesman with a stick shift. A Tradesman stick shift/6 cyl with vinyl mats would be awesome.

You can get that, its just the 6cyl is a diesel and the Tradesman is at least a 2500. FCA is the last to offer a manual in a full size but only with a Cummins. Blame all the people that didnt buy brand new trucks with sticks for the elimination behind the gassers.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/15/15 4:24 p.m.

My son's Chevy LUV had canted valves, a four-speed, and 4.56 gears from the factory.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/15/15 4:26 p.m.

Remember when you had to order options or else you got the base model?

I'm not enjoying the complete 180 the industry has done.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
10/16/15 5:01 p.m.

I drive a new 3.6 but it's in a new Grand Caravan. Don't laugh at me, it's not as cool as a pickup but with 4 kids it's the most practical vehicle for us. Sliding doors and stow n go rule. This is hands down the best van I've ever owned. It's pulling down 23-24 mpg consistently which my old Econoline struggled to get 15.

I'd love to someday swap in a newer 3.6 into an older lighter weight 2nd gen Mopar minivan and go drag racing.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/16/15 7:42 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Javelin wrote: It's called the Ram 1500 for some reason. Seriously! The V6 Ram 1500 is, like the RX-7, front mid-engine as the engine sits behind the front axle centerline.
"Front mid engine", a marketing term passed off as an engineering term.

Thank you, well put.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V13y4BJy4kJcv6Jz19ldk1PyW8wmOnAM8bI0DK4yLg8UME5GnnufFJQqQvlEPrPg