scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/6/15 8:28 a.m.

Hi guys, I'm playing around with a set of technologies called Hadoop. I thought it would be more fun if I used a data set that I was interested in. Does anyone know of any (preferably text-based) repositories of motorsports-related data? Most of the stuff I've found has been embedded in pdfs, which can be really messy. It's fine even if it's just a simple csv of wheel sizes or something. I'm playing with import/export/transformation mostly.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/15 9:05 a.m.

Wheel weights in xls: http://wheelweights.net/

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/6/15 9:13 a.m.

For Hadoop to be really interesting... you need massive datasets. Check noaa.gov for weather model data. It's publicly available for free and gzipped it isn't too huge to pull down locally.

Although if you could find similarly public data from NHTSA for a few million automobiles (crash safety data, emissions, etc) ... that would be cool.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/6/15 9:41 a.m.

Yeah, I know it is most useful with massive datasets (and correspondingly large clusters), but for practice with pig/hive/sqoop on a single node, large size is not necessary.

It'd be really cool to be able to play with comprehensive sensor data from a race car, but I don't think I'd get to do that unless I were part of a race team.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/15 10:05 a.m.

Can you get a smart phone app like harrys lap timer and take a drive on a curvy road? Might be able to generate your own fun data...

Edit, get the OBD2 adapter and log engine stuff at the same time for extra fun. Want bigger files? go for a bigger drive!

Then see if you can download google maps data and somehow plot your journey on a google map by linking the data logger with map data.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/6/15 10:14 a.m.

That's actually a really great idea! Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58s35t41uBRozUsnPTUdbZtQYgCsqf7S0oyfHG57E3AUg5MfDHowuTnkOuFjJj8v