roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/19 3:42 p.m.

Hello, 

I am currently tossing around the idea of getting a 3rd vehicle. No, I don't need it, but that's never stopped me before. 

To explain, my current daily driver is a 2019 Jeep Wrangler and my weekend track/autocross car is a 1992 Miata with the usual mods. Sometimes they get flipped around, as I frequently drive the Miata to work and the Jeep also becomes a weekend play toy on trails here in CO. I love them both. I don't want to get rid of either one of them. 

With that said, neither of them excel at long drives on the freeway. I don't make a ton of long freeway drives as my commute to work is only about 15-20 minutes long. With that said, when I do make longer commutes, both the Jeep and the Miata are tiresome (cry me a river, right?). The Jeep is actually much better than older Jeeps on the freeway, but I suspect it will only get worse with the addition of the inevitable lift and bigger tires. Truly, this is just the kind of weak sauce excuse I need to add a 3rd car to my stable.

The caveat is that I'm not a big fan of boring cars. And I don't want another car payment, so I'm capping my own spending limit around the $5000 mark. 

As a 3rd car, it doesn't have to be terribly reliable. I don't need 4-doors/seats. It doesn't need great mileage. I don't care about the drivetrain (although RWD would be preferred, I'm ok with FWD). I really don't even care about the transmission- I prefer a manual, but if the auto is decent, I'm okay with it. 

Basically something relatively enjoyable/somewhat fun to drive, lower to the ground than my Jeep, longer wheelbase than my Miata and an independent suspension. The lack of wandering/pulling over rough/broken/uneven pavement at highway speeds would be nice. 

As of right now, the first 2 cars that come to mind are the RX-8 and E46 330i/330ci.

Thoughts on either those cars, or any other recommendations?  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
8/7/19 3:46 p.m.

SC400 or SC300. I owned both of them  and drove LA to Seattle every weekend for 2 years. Fantastic machines. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/7/19 4:20 p.m.

E39 BMW 530i!

Available with a 5-speed manual.  Comfortable.

Error404
Error404 New Reader
8/7/19 4:40 p.m.

Mk5 GTI with the DSG. Will cruise on the highway until the tank runs dry, 200hp and a turbo is enough to have fun without instant trouble. Seats are comfy, visibility is good, mileage is good, plenty of space in the hatch for whatever you're hauling on that trip. Manual is an option but I say DSG because sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about clutching on trips, especially if your relief driver doesn't drive stick. Decent specimens can be found under/around $5k.

Alternatively, there's the Speed3. You might have to look a good bit to come in under $5k though.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 Reader
8/7/19 4:41 p.m.

Sounds like you need my 1993 Mercedes 300E 2.8! 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/622898678181874/

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/7/19 4:52 p.m.

The newest/nicest Porsche 944 you can afford. They eat up highway miles comfortably and get upper-20s MPGs to boot, sometimes a bit ove 30. Not much bigger than a Miata, but they feel totally different overall and like high-speed cruising. Mine (924S, so same thing basically) is my road-trip car and I'd choose it over any of my other cars for a long highway trip (including my 2018 GTI). 

If you don't care about automatics, you can probably find one of those cheaper/nicer than a manual.

Otherwise, i second the e39 suggestion above. Though they're not exactly small cars lol. 

cbaclawski
cbaclawski New Reader
8/7/19 9:29 p.m.

Oddly enough, I have both an RX-8 and an e46 330i!

I love them both.  Mine are both primarily Track cars, though the RX is mostly stock with only a couple minor suspension tweaks.  The e46 is fully caged and prepped, but it was stock when i bought it,

I'm not sure If I could choose between them stock for stock, but since you already have a miata and the RX shares a lot of it's DNA and handling characteristics, in your shoes I'd probably go 330i.  You won't be disappointed in either.

On another note, I'm kinda looking for a 2001 to 2005 Lexus IS300 with the 2jz inline six.  I think they still look pretty modern, that engine is legendary, and should be around your price range.  There was one at a recent track day I attended, basically stock, and it more than held it's own...

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/7/19 9:38 p.m.

Is300

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
8/7/19 10:30 p.m.

I'd also recommend a straight six equipped E34 or E39. Preferably  a manually equipped car, since auto's aren't known for their longevity, but E34's in particular are pretty stout. They are both excellent highway cars and still nice to drive when the road is a little twisty. 

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
8/7/19 11:10 p.m.

Infinity G35 can be found in a manual transmission. 

The Lexus mentioned above is a good candidate as well. 

While I wouldn’t want to deal with German car issues in that price range, I might give the Jaguar XJR a test drive 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/8/19 7:28 a.m.

3 series BMWs are great highway cars; I haven't driven a 5 series, but I'd imagine they're even better at cruising if not quite as sporty at handling.

C4 Corvettes can be a surprisingly good choice here too. They're not the easiest thing to GET into, but they're surprisingly comfortable once you're in.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/8/19 7:29 a.m.

Infiniti G35.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
8/8/19 7:36 a.m.

Get an old LS400.  As reliable as a car can be, super comfortable, cheap, and that V8 rumble.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/8/19 8:30 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

Get an old LS400.  As reliable as a car can be, super comfortable, cheap, and that V8 rumble.

Or a GS 400 or 430. Same engine, but a slightly sportier package. I love mine. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
8/8/19 8:41 a.m.

I love our '97 LS400.  Not sure it's necessarily what I'd call fun to drive as in sporty, but the engine is amazingly smooth, is incredibly comfortable, cruises the highway like nothing else and is dead nuts reliable.  Fabulous cruiser.

G35 would also make a great choice.

V6 Accord, bonus if you can find one in 6spd coupe form.  Surprisingly fun to drive, fast, reliable, great cruiser.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/8/19 4:49 p.m.

Thank you for the recommendations gentlemen! A few cars I hadn’t considered that I’ll take for a spin sometime! 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/8/19 5:46 p.m.

I can wholeheartedly recommend an RX8 I had a 2010 that my grandfather and I drove from Flint MI to Keyser West Virginia twice. He was 89 the first time we took the trip. He had a little trouble getting in and out but once in his very comfortable. A year later it wasn't so easy for him. Mileage on the freeway is pretty good if you consider 19 to 20 miles per gallon good at 85 to 95 miles per hour. I now have a 1984 Porsche 944 and I can wholeheartedly recommend that car as well. The RX8 will carry more stuff but I think if I had to drive regularly long distances I pick the 944. I run 80 to 100 miles per hour for extended periods and get about 25 to 30 miles per gallon usually closer to 25

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/8/19 5:50 p.m.

I also recommend a C4 corvette. My late fiancee would occasionally borrow one from a friend. It had an automatic and i truly enjoyed driving it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FLevKIewOUSd8SIdscE11H59ejfVYSH4sixGKtp4LDXc3OqWgYO7sZzHra4tgfca