golfduke
golfduke New Reader
1/21/13 8:53 a.m.

So I've been reading up on composites and aerodynamics and all that stuff lately. Fascinating! Anyways, because I'm bored and because I like to do things with my own hands, I'm dedicating the next few months to playing with some stuff.

So, with that said, I've got a bunch of CSM fiberglass, polyester resin, some S-cloth, and some Carbon twill along with epoxy resin for it... I've got my bicycle workbench clean and am ready to make... something.

What should I make now? Here is a list of stuff I was thinking of, but I'm not sure about the level of complexity or challenge of it. Bear in mind, this is more for me trying to learn the process thanme envisioning slapping these puppies onto my car and expecting perfection. I have realistic goals, a lot of time, and patience.

• dive planes/canards- interesting because they are smallish, not interesting because of the compound shape and flanges I'd need to make for them.
  • Front adjustable splitter- easy because it's flat, but difficult because it's big?
  • radiator/oil cooler shrouds- noone would see them, but the shapes would definitely be funky.
  • sunroof delete panel- The pattern/mould process would be simple, but this would also be the most glaring if it comes out looking like poo.
  • carbon fiber bottle opener- Just because I'm a drunk and I can???

Anyone else have any insight or suggestions? I know that the mould and pattern are the biggest keys to successful layup, so I'll obviously take my time with that. I'm just looking for other small stuff to experiment with and start getting familiar with the process.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/21/13 8:55 a.m.

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
1/21/13 8:56 a.m.

um, okay that's going on the list!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/21/13 9:18 a.m.

seriously though - things Im interested in for my own car:

• composite grille - because racecar
  • rear windshield visor/diffuser
  • foglight inserts w/NACA ducts for brake cooling
  • MAF adapters for cone style filters

Other things that would likely sell IMHO:

• Battery tie downs
  • Keychains
  • spark plug wire covers (for the depression in between the cam humps of a DOHC valve cover)
  • interior/dash panels
  • Intake tubing - generic straights, 22.5°,45° and 90° just like stainless for exhaust

HERE IS SOME BASIC STUFF I DID once upon a time. That MAF is still in use on my car today, but heat cycling has taken its toll on the polyester resin, its starting to get pretty brittle/yellow.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/21/13 9:22 a.m.

Start with simple things and be prepared to screw up a lot. The best way to learn is to just place with it. Are you doing vacuum bagging?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/21/13 9:28 a.m.

My long term goal is to build a not too ugly and quite light hatch for my Mazda 2 because racecar. Thus spring or next fall if I turn lazy I'm hoping to do an ugly hood and then perhaps a prettier one. I'd also like to make some big flat under tray/aero stuff. I'm sort of wondering if I can make a sacrificial skid plate for rallycross with the understanding that it will break, but that it will be cheap/easy enough to make that I won't feel too bad.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
1/21/13 9:31 a.m.

Vacuum bagging, for when double bagging isn't enough.

golfduke
golfduke New Reader
1/21/13 10:02 a.m.

I'm just going to do wet layup for now, but I definitely think I'll be doing vacuum bagging and heat-activated prepreg type stuff in the future. I have access to a powdercoat oven, which makes some of the prepreg material really appealing to me.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/21/13 3:46 p.m.

following this thread

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GIi53B47cwqCh9ut0oeN6JgDX86zAD03DqWjvdQWKOQSgkSjn1VvjK3TPPKvTW9m