1 2
mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
6/3/08 8:33 p.m.

Thought you all might enjoy these pictures. I saw this Fit being put to work in the neighborhood recently.

redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
6/3/08 9:01 p.m.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/3/08 11:18 p.m.

At $4+/gal, we're going to see a lot more work vehicles that look like this.

The 1st-gen Scion xB is probably going to appreciate in value.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/3/08 11:38 p.m.

It's hauling around more work equipment than 99.9% of SUVs out there. I bet you couldn't even fit that ladder in an SUV. And an SUV would be too tall to comfortably get anything on/off the roof.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/3/08 11:43 p.m.

You guys should see the pictures of me and my 1st Gen RX7 from last week...

I hauled 22 2x12x8 pieces of lumber in it . The F350's in the Lowe's loading area were not amused as they loaded their one 2x4...

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/4/08 8:00 a.m.

4 sheets of 4'x8' plywood in my '84 944. I'm pretty sure I still have a flat spot on the top of my head, and my neck might be a little shorter now.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/4/08 8:35 a.m.

Ever see the commercial with the two guys loading a matress on top of a Jetta (or some VW)? They tie it down tight and go to open the doors and, surprise!, they tied the doors shut. It made me laugh.

The Fit is go!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/08 8:58 a.m.

Now we'll see which SUVs are really work vehicles, and which ones could be replaced with a subcompact* with a roof rack

*modern subcompact, previously known as a "regular-sized car"

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/4/08 9:13 a.m.

If our service guys didn't need to haul around so much heavy equipment we could save a ton on fuel using vehicles like that.

Over $4k in fuel each month... was $3k at the beginning of the year.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/4/08 9:18 a.m.

I don't get it...

It's got a roof rack. That is by far the easiest way to get a ladder from point A to point B if it's more than a block.

So um...if that photo is funny, you guys should camp outside my place with a 6 pack and prepare to be entertained! I think the DOT requires a strap for the cat...but the cat doesn't go for it at ALL. Clem

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
6/4/08 9:46 a.m.

Looks normal to me :)

I used to carry all 4 racing tires/wheels, my mountain bike, and my EZ UP canopy on the top of my 91 Civic Si. People used to pass me thinking "What the heck?"

LOL

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
6/4/08 10:12 a.m.

Fits are awesome. The scion xB..I see a ton of them around here being used for work vehicles.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/4/08 11:25 a.m.

i've also hauled my 36" big screen, still in the box, and unassembled tv stand home in the back of my rsx

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 11:36 a.m.

My Intrepid could haul 2 x 12's easily...if the damn back seat would fold down!!! I miss having a roof rack, I used the one on my Grand Cherokee all the time.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/08 1:35 p.m.

I carried 12 foot lumber in my 89 Civic Si when I was building my house.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/4/08 2:00 p.m.

i suprised the guy at Sears when i loaded my full size 2 peice craftsman tool box into my '88 accord sedan. top box in the trunk, botom box in the back seat. would have been loads easier if i had a hatch

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
6/4/08 2:13 p.m.

On a related note, I see a lot of companies that normally buy full-size cargo vans replacing them with the Chevy HHR Panel truck.

I actually like the HHR Panel, conceptually speaking. I think it is a brilliant (and cheap) redesign of an existing model that opens a niche market. Too bad it's just a Cobalt underneath.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
6/4/08 2:35 p.m.

Would be nice if hatchbacks would come with removable rear seat/benches like some vans do.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/4/08 3:17 p.m.
GlennS wrote: Would be nice if hatchbacks would come with removable rear seat/benches like some vans do.

I did exactly that to my old Tercel EZ. I never seemed to have more than 3 people in the car, so I got an interior from a DX (cloth FTW, vinyl FTL) and only put one seat bottom in, as well as the full seat back. I would have only put one seat back in, but I wanted the cargo area to be flat. The single seat bottom was a matter of putting it in or pulling it out. It wasn't even bolted in.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/08 6:41 p.m.

The back seats in the 924s were really built in child seats so they are gone and we now have a track ready hatch that can hall a bunch of stuff. I am now looking for a roof rack that I can put on it for ladders

The roof rack on our expedition is great but thanks to the height it is a PITA. I miss my 79 zephyr wagon with the strait 6 200. I did a head gasket in the parking lot of the local parts store one saturday. Just put all the tools in the back and drove there. Figured that I would have access to all the parts if we did it there.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 8:48 p.m.

And this is why I buy hatchbacks...

wonder if the 318ti is going to raise in value or not now?

I know with the Saab, I do not need a stationwagon. With the rear seats folded, you can hold a party back there

amaff
amaff Reader
6/4/08 9:45 p.m.

Hatchbacks FTW! I fit nine 4x2 florescent fixtures in the Protege once, and a boatload of lumber for making my workbench another lol

(one in the passenger seat)

Oh, and a queen sized sleeping pad / mattress thing Before:

After:

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
6/4/08 9:59 p.m.

The rear glass flips up separate from the hatch (actually a mini-tailgate) on my civic, so i can stick items of virtually any length out of it. Its really quite useful and much less annoying than opening the whole hatch and having a 3'x3' movable aerodynamic device catching the wind anytime you need to carry a 2x4.

GlennS wrote: Would be nice if hatchbacks would come with removable rear seat/benches like some vans do.

Hatches and most wagons have a higher floor in the back due to the fuel tank under the car and the spare tire in the car under the trunk, so removing a rear seat would give the back a less useful two-tiered cargo area. Most hatches and wagons have fold flat seats, which give up a couple of cubic feet but are overall much more useful.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/5/08 12:31 a.m.

FWIW, I just hauled 10 big bags of mulch in my EG Civic the other day--not a problem at all.

One of my favorite features of the EG is the little tailgate.

Clay
Clay New Reader
6/5/08 7:48 a.m.

I am amazed at how much I can fit in my Miata. I know I've fit 12 or more 1x6's when I was putting a floor in my attic. With the top down, I just put one end of the wood on the passenger floor board and sit the stack of lumber between the Boss Frog dual hoop rollbars. The wood doesn't even stick out that far.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qswunXG6XHRbDrwiKsog1m53lEZDfZ1ghWsesY8ngn2ZacYCUrFQ8P9GRorKgF6U