Keep looking, you'll see it...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/9/13 9:51 p.m.

Wow.....

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
12/9/13 9:51 p.m.

$2000 appeared between the factory sticker and the dealer sticker?

Besides being a forty thousand dollar KIA?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/9/13 9:52 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: $2000 appeared between the factory sticker and the dealer sticker? Besides being a forty thousand dollar KIA?

Gotta love "regional market adjustment" which is fancy talk for "We feel like berkeleying you. This is how hard we feel like berkeleying you."

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/9/13 10:01 p.m.

A berkeleying Kia is $43000.00. That's berkeleying ridiculous.

That and the applied the berkeley You fee twice.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/9/13 10:02 p.m.

I sorta hope these things tank hard. Kia builds a decent car- and this would be an awesome luxo-barge down the line.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/9/13 10:02 p.m.

Drat, Datsun beat me to it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/9/13 10:24 p.m.

Are Optimas depreciating quickly?
Kia Souls seem to hold their value.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/13 10:41 p.m.

I figured you guys would nail it. Yeah, this slimehole dealer tacked on $2K transferring the MSRP from the real Monroney sticker to their own BS sticker (which was on every singe ca, yes they were asking for a $2K "Market Adjustment" on SOul's, Rio's, etc).

And KIA isn't the problem here, it's Dick Hannah. Every berkeleying one of his dealerships are like this.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/9/13 10:57 p.m.

lol $4000 markup on a Kia, I know they sell well, but come the berkeley on.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/13 6:46 a.m.

Wow....just wow. That is ridiculous. I would just turn around and leave right there as soon as I saw that. It's not like a big hyundai or Kia are selling well. I never see the Genesis sedans.

Barfglargle
Barfglargle MegaDork
12/10/13 7:12 a.m.

$44k!? Is that for a family pack of Kias?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/10/13 7:22 a.m.

That's a brand new Ford Taurus SHO price.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 7:29 a.m.

Nothing new. My wife, when she was my girlfriend, insisted on buying her first new car, an '88 Civic LX sedan, by herself. She ended up paying an extra $800 in "market adjustment". We were engaged at the time, and I was pretty upset about it, but the deal went through.
Thing is, as consumers we may not like it, but there's nothing wrong with it. The dealer is under no more obligation to sell at the MSRP as they are to sell under or over the MSRP. In a free market, people can sell something for whatever someone else is willing to pay. Sorry, but when it's written right there for all to see, I can't call that guy a slimehole.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/10/13 7:35 a.m.

I don't know this dealer, since they aren't local, but we have plenty of dealers like that around here. They're the same ones with the never ending radio commercials where they're screaming

"Take $2000 off the dealer advertised price and we'll give you $1000 more for your trade. Plus, if you hurry, we'll even throw in a free bottle of lube as we berkeley you in every way possible. Then just when you think you got a great deal on the car price, wait until you see our finance deals. They're unbelievable...and I mean un-be-liev-able."

They then put a $5000 region adjustment and a $750 "detailing package" on the sticker price.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/10/13 8:09 a.m.
RossD wrote: That's a brand new Ford Taurus SHO price.

or a fully loaded 2014 mazda6 and several grand left to go on a few vacations

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/10/13 8:35 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I figured you guys would nail it. Yeah, this slimehole dealer tacked on $2K transferring the MSRP from the real Monroney sticker to their own BS sticker (which was on *every singe ca*, yes they were asking for a $2K "Market Adjustment" on SOul's, Rio's, etc). And KIA isn't the problem here, it's Dick Hannah. Every berkeleying one of his dealerships are like this.

Yeah the KIA dealership here in town does the same thing.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
12/10/13 8:41 a.m.

Well all you have to do is say No. As someone already pointed out, as long as people buy they can charge whatever will sell. That's why we call it a free market.

Don't complain, walk away.

wae
wae Reader
12/10/13 8:46 a.m.

It's just like the billion scam emails and adverts for "male enhancement" pills. If it didn't work, they wouldn't even try it, so the real solution is to find the people out there that are giving them positive reinforcement to that sort of thing and beat them with a dead fish.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/13 9:30 a.m.

That extra sticker is called a "bump sticker" for a reason. Just walk away. Unless you want to make a big scene in the showroom first. But wait until it is busy...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/13 9:32 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Thing is, as consumers we may not like it, but there's nothing wrong with it. The dealer is under no more obligation to sell at the MSRP as they are to sell under or over the MSRP. In a free market, people can sell something for whatever someone else is willing to pay. Sorry, but when it's written right there for all to see, I can't call that guy a slimehole.

You fail to realize that the dealer added $2,000.00 to the MSRP in between the actual Monroney sticker and their own add-on sticker. A "Market Adjustment" is at least putting their tactic out there, purposefully berking with an MSRP is a whole 'nother ballgame, and probably illegal.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

You're right, I missed that. I only saw the $2000 market adjustment. I now agree that the dealer is a slimehole.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/10/13 9:37 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
RossD wrote: That's a brand new Ford Taurus SHO price.
or a fully loaded 2014 mazda6 and several grand left to go on a few vacations

QFT. Our Mazda6 has every option they offer and was out the door under 31 before trade in.

wow.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/10/13 9:39 a.m.

Kias are taking monster hits the first year. $5K in depreciation. The soul is an odd ball as after that is goes to less than $2k a year.

Optimas are running in the mid $3K to high $2K depending on trim with $4K to almost $6K the first year.

Yeah they depreciate quickly, but then again all cars are these days but they are starting to hover higher too.

Source: Edmunds.com

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/10/13 9:49 a.m.

I like the Cadenza, but I am disappointed it's not RWD. I'd rather have the Azera to be honest (same car).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4ftnKI77KMdEnffYvnco7YTXhIvXTSeFC92rzCRHVFIOmPG8LYZaep8lvbBNSty