1 2 3 4
93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/19/09 12:06 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: yea, I used to hate EXPs too...now they're kinda cool. I've noodled around with the idea of combining a RAV4 and a 6th gen Celica into a GT4. All the mounting bosses and tunnel are under there. I think the fuel tank is an issue, but that's fixable with a real cell.

I really like your AWD Toyota thoughts lately. I would like to subscribe to your magazine.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/19/09 12:10 p.m.
RossD wrote: The funny thing is its probably cheaper to make a celica rwd than to buy a last gen supra.

More than likely.... MOST of what you need to do what was done with the GT8 is fairly readily available, and not a huge amount of custom work, besides actually getting the 1uzfe that he used, to mount in the bay.

Figure going price of a MKiv Supra is $15k for an n/a, and a couple million for a twin turbo.

If a 5th gen celica couldn't be converted for that, then it's time to maybe put down the tools.

thedude
thedude New Reader
5/19/09 12:43 p.m.

I think toyota made a mid engine del sol...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/19/09 1:11 p.m.
thedude wrote: I think toyota made a mid engine del sol...

toyota made a honda?

did you mean MR2?

Jay
Jay Dork
5/19/09 1:38 p.m.

Dangit, I really shouldn't have gone looking.

My daily driver is giving me enough pain in the butt, I REALLY don't need a project right now. You guys keep wishing for bigger garages - I'd settle for a decent driveway at this point.

I HATE apartment living.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
5/19/09 1:51 p.m.

Im pretty sure most cars that are designed to be fwd id prefer either still fwd, or awd. Both fwd and rwd are decent, but its a way bigger job than alot of people think to make a rwd car out of a fwd car and have it work right.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/19/09 1:59 p.m.
thedude wrote: I think toyota made a mid engine del sol...

MR2 Spyder, my thoughts exactly... I WILL own one of those one day

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/19/09 2:11 p.m.
Jay wrote: Dangit, I really shouldn't have gone looking. My daily driver is giving me enough pain in the butt, I REALLY don't need a project right now. You guys keep wishing for bigger garages - I'd settle for a decent driveway at this point. I HATE apartment living.

That's CHEAP. Get it!

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/19/09 2:22 p.m.

For the longest time, I really wanted to build a RWD early '90s Civic coupe using a Chevy DZ302 clone engine. Good for 9k rpm in street form (revs higher than those VTEC ricer fanbois' engines do). Wonder if you can build a decent DZ302 clone (in stats) from the lighter LSx engine easily?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/19/09 2:42 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: For the longest time, I really wanted to build a RWD early '90s Civic coupe using a Chevy DZ302 clone engine. Good for 9k rpm in street form (revs higher than those VTEC ricer fanbois' engines do). Wonder if you can build a decent DZ302 clone (in stats) from the lighter LSx engine easily?

I dunno 'bout all that.... i took my last ricer fanboi hondur engine to 9500 with no problems.....

There's the guy with the "Civette" with an LS1 in an EG hatch.

RossD
RossD Reader
5/19/09 2:42 p.m.

How about a mid sized ford car like this:

Oh wait it's already rwd but we cant have it here.

Jay
Jay Dork
5/19/09 3:18 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Jay wrote: Dangit, I really shouldn't have gone looking..
That's CHEAP. Get it!

It's killing me now. I could easily go over there, get it, drive it back and it would barely put a DENT in my living budget. I just have absolutely nowhere to put it, nowhere to work on it, and I'm already going through the import-from-Britain-pain-in-the-butt-rigamarole with the Lotus and don't want to deal with that twice at the same time.

But it looks soooo perfect. Every option I want, and none of the ones I don't want. Not to mention I've never seen that sexy black leather before, I thought they were all grey. Argh.

Per? Dave? Can we have a £2009 European challenge?

Sheesh. Every time I come here my head hurts from all the impossible projects calling to me.

J

Hal
Hal HalfDork
5/19/09 8:09 p.m.
Will wrote: If you want a RWD Focus get the Kugel conversion with a 302 or 4.6 DOHC.

Or if you want to keep the Zetec engine, Quad4Rods makes a bellhousing to hook the Zetec to a T5.

Phase-X in Florida has done a couple conversions that move the whole stock drive train to the rear

RossD
RossD Reader
5/19/09 9:01 p.m.

To me the Zetec is old news, but the Duratec/MZR is neat because you can throw thousands of dollars at it and make it a Cosworth....

Theres actually a bunch of manufacturers of bellhousings to mate the duratec/zetec/ecotec to rwd 5 speeds but the Q4R pieces seems to be the only usa friendly manufacturer. The rest are from over seas and for the T-9. And XR4TIs are getting harder to find.

With the layout of the focus, the ranger transmission might actually be the unit you'd want since the shifter is located in the center of the unit rather than the tail piece. Thats pure speculation though with regards to ideal shifter location. Otherwise the NC miata trans will do the trick. What is the track width of a miata compared to a focus? Could the rear subframe just be stuffed in there if you cut a big hole in the back of a focus?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/19/09 9:13 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: awd Mazda3's are only available with the smallest nonturbo four banger, so the rear diff for that is not likely to be able to stand up to the kind of power that even a stock ms3 puts down.

Im dreaming of 4wd so a little rear diff in addition to the stock front one should be OK.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
5/19/09 9:24 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Strizzo wrote: awd Mazda3's are only available with the smallest nonturbo four banger, so the rear diff for that is not likely to be able to stand up to the kind of power that even a stock ms3 puts down.
Im dreaming of 4wd so a little rear diff in addition to the stock front one should be OK.

iunno, people are already grenading the stock rear diff in the ms6 at stock power levels, so i'd be skeptical as to how long one designed for econobox power levels would last.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/19/09 9:48 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
iunno, people are already grenading the stock rear diff in the ms6 at stock power levels, so i'd be skeptical as to how long one designed for econobox power levels would last.

I haven't done the research on the swap, just dreaming as a non owner. Would be nice if it were feasible.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/09 9:53 p.m.

ahem.

1990 pontiac turbo grand prix

2001 LS1/4L60-e

T-bird IRS

i'm just saying that's the one i would do, not like it's a top secret happening in my garage right now project or anything

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/09 6:55 a.m.

What would you use for wheels?

Might I suggest a set of Cobra hub bearings and rear rotors?

Hypothetically it would allow you to use the factory TGP wheels.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/20/09 8:22 a.m.
Jay wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Jay wrote: Dangit, I really shouldn't have gone looking..
That's CHEAP. Get it!
It's killing me now. I could easily go over there, get it, drive it back and it would barely put a DENT in my living budget. I just have absolutely nowhere to put it, nowhere to work on it, and I'm already going through the import-from-Britain-pain-in-the-butt-rigamarole with the Lotus and don't want to deal with that twice at the same time. But it looks soooo perfect. Every option I want, and none of the ones I don't want. Not to mention I've never seen that sexy black leather before, I thought they were all grey. Argh. Per? Dave? Can we have a £2009 European challenge? Sheesh. Every time I come here my head hurts from all the impossible projects calling to me. J

Buy it, ship it to me, and i'll enjoy it!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/09 8:26 a.m.

hypothetically i'd do something along those lines and use the factory pimp as hell 16x8 gold crosslaces. once i make the donor cars disappear, hypothetically speaking of course, if there actually were two non imaginary donor cars sitting in the driveway in front of the garage.

RossD
RossD Reader
5/20/09 10:13 a.m.

I can imagine Jennifer Love Hewitt sitting on my lap but that doesnt make it any closer to being true. What are you hiding Patgizz?

Raze
Raze Reader
5/20/09 11:12 a.m.

Cadillac Eldorado from 94-02 would have been hot, add just a 6 speed and RWD and It would have been one hell of a luxo-coupe...

Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
5/20/09 1:11 p.m.

I was at Carlisle this weekend and got an up close and personal look at a Renault R5. That really got the ShoGun juices flowing again. Mid engine mk1 Rabbit, Fiesta, Geo.... They're all bad projects for me at this point in my life.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/09 2:53 p.m.

Few FWD cars would make good RWD cars considering the weight distribution and suspension issues...otherwise, I'd say all of them. I prefer laterally mounted engines over longitudinally mounted engines but I prefer RWD to FWD.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ybvj5MvDgFbYWd0uxr6JJWfwGhjfE0XmXtnZfuihIEJVuSIhm3ryjxlPB6oLa3mO