1 2
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/26/15 7:42 p.m.

Assuming you can match pictures to results, take precision measurements, do basic math, and read and follow instructions, and have access to a shop press (or a zip gun and a torch), setting up a rear axle isn't that bad, stinky, but not that bad. Though it's generally cheaper (especially if you're paying somebody else) and easier to keep your eyes peeled and buy a good used rear end already set up how you want.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

I'll probably get rear gears once I can afford a posi. I'm pretty sure I have an open diff.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/15 9:51 a.m.

Just pick up a rearend from a monte SS. I bought mine for $250.00.

The rear sway bar was the second best upgrade we threw at our 78 malibu. It really cured the understeer we were encountering on the track.

The BEST upgrade was a steering box out of a WS6 trans am and a steerign shaft (with u joints instead of rag joints) out of a jeep cherokee (it bolts right in). The steering was night and day different!

Also, for springs, check this out. How low do you wanna go? How stiff do you wanna go? Check it... http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

Pic of our car sitting at ride height to be forthcoming.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/15 10:10 a.m.

Or, ignore the "theme"....

Cornered pretty flat!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 10:58 a.m.

Thanks! I think I'll pick the sway bar up!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/15 6:19 p.m.

Moog #5662 for the front springs. About $50 on Rock Auto 750lbs /inch and have nearly the same dimemsions as the SS spring, just 300lbs stiffer. Make sure to change your shocks too. At around $30 ea. (on Rock auto again) KYB gas-a-just will do the job.

Get that rear sway bar. Check out MontecarloSS.com, lots of G-body info and guys selling stuff there. The front sway bar may swap with an 2wd S-10 pickup. Take some measurments. The front bar on my 2wd S-Blazer was huge, and the later ZQ8 stuff id out there too. Should be cheap at the junk yard.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
2/27/15 7:27 p.m.

Dude I wish I had these guys helping me when I was your age. Follow their advice and your car will rock. Lots of experience speaking here.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/27/15 8:19 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Just pick up a rearend from a monte SS. I bought mine for $250.00. The rear sway bar was the second best upgrade we threw at our 78 malibu. It really cured the understeer we were encountering on the track. The BEST upgrade was a steering box out of a WS6 trans am and a steerign shaft (with u joints instead of rag joints) out of a jeep cherokee (it bolts right in). The steering was night and day different! Also, for springs, check this out. How low do you wanna go? How stiff do you wanna go? Check it... http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm Pic of our car sitting at ride height to be forthcoming.

the late 87 and all 88 Monte SS's got the slightly upgraded 7.625" rear end with 28 spline axles compared to the 7.5 wiht 26 spline axles that were in the earlier cars- this is the same setup (with different gear ratios) that can live behind some pretty serious power in the LS powered F bodies.. every Monte SS had 3.73 gears, and a good portion of them had a posi.. just make sure that you are actually getting a true SS rear end, since they were known to blow up and get replaced with whatever G body rear axle that could be purchased at the local junkyard..

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
2/28/15 10:13 a.m.

Thanks!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/15 9:12 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Moog #5662 for the front springs. About $50 on Rock Auto 750lbs /inch and have nearly the same dimemsions as the SS spring, just 300lbs stiffer. Make sure to change your shocks too. At around $30 ea. (on Rock auto again) KYB gas-a-just will do the job. Get that rear sway bar. Check out MontecarloSS.com, lots of G-body info and guys selling stuff there. The front sway bar may swap with an 2wd S-10 pickup. Take some measurments. The front bar on my 2wd S-Blazer was huge, and the later ZQ8 stuff id out there too. Should be cheap at the junk yard.

2wd 95+ blazers got the same sways as ZQ8 pickups. i bought a 96 2wd blazer for parts mostly to get the sway bars for my 91 sonoma. unfortunately the S10 shares lots of front end parts with the G body, but sway bars are not one of them.

you can, however, use a 3rd gen(probably 2nd gen too) f body front bar, and you can get some beefy stock ones at the junkyard. i may have a 3rd gen z28 front bar somewhere, but it'll be a while before i can locate it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fOiNcdgdhhAJaj2nQytBd4ad7YOfOE5juXI8v072QIpJh66pw3nHOJzFjV5b6WOu