Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/16 2:32 p.m.

For readers of my build thread, turn back now. Spoilers ahead.

Last chance...

So (fingers crossed) I'm closing on a house Friday, and that house has a 550sq foot attached garage. I want to get the garage fully prepped before I start bringing tools and projects in there.

The floor has old paint/epoxy on it. Some light reading said I can use a floor sander to prep the surface.

Does anyone have a particular brand of coating they like? Bonus points for a coating that they have put over an old one. Most of the kits at the store do 500 sq ft, leaving me a little short. Does this stuff stretch?

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/25/16 2:52 p.m.

Do a search here - there's been several manly-sized threads on just this topic.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/16 2:57 p.m.

You'll hear a lot of things, but my experience is that plain, old Rustoleum garage floor coating works great. The floor needs to be super-clean and acid-washed. Do at least two coats. DO NOT use any of the flakes. You want a consistent color for highest contrast when you drop a small fastener.

Other than tools, the two most gratifying items in my shop are proper lighting and a good floor coating.

Gimp
7/25/16 2:59 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Do a search here - there's been several manly-sized threads on just this topic.

I thought as much, but maybe the site search failed me.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/25/16 3:09 p.m.
Gimp
7/25/16 3:13 p.m.
Gimp
7/25/16 3:32 p.m.

In my defense, it appears all of those links are putting epoxy on previously untreated surfaces. Anyone have any experience going over old paint/epoxy?

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
7/25/16 3:38 p.m.

Ok, so this board is great for many things, but on this topic you need to head over to the Garage Journal forums for flooring. There is SO MUCH info over there. I ended up using Rust Bullet, a POR-15 type coating, after reading up and viewing this thread. The stuff is amazing, and reflects quite a bit of light back underneath my car to eliminate some shadows when working down there.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
7/25/16 3:40 p.m.

A lot of the garagejournal threads suggest sanding it back to bare, doing the acid etch, washing it then reapplying.

I did epoxy on my garage floor in Florida and after about a year where I just painted over the paint chips that didn't come up when I scraped the floor it started to come up. There's been a bunch of threads about Legacy Industrials products over there and they're all pretty hot on Armorpoxy right now. I used one of the big box store products as a datapoint.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NuIiNzo2G6A88gfSyMP0MwOhiymtttwvu9H2WNCms6xqkoMDKezxayZgwdWSiXjc