1 2 3 4 5
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/20/19 11:07 a.m.

I bought the 6 pack of these Barrina LED's from Amazon for $46.99.  I'm VERY pleased with them, money well spent. It's actually pleasant to work in the garage again.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/2/20 9:23 a.m.

Just put up 4 of the six pack of the Barrina lights. Noticably brighter than just the two tube lights before.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/2/20 9:39 a.m.

I got another 6 pack to put up in my garage tonight. Thanks for the reminder!

I love these lights!

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/2/20 10:52 a.m.

I installed 10 of the Maxstar/Shineretrofit in my 20x24 and it's a huge upgrade for not a ton. https://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6860302 for details.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 11:04 a.m.
tedroach said:
Ian F said:

In reply to tedroach :

That looks great!  I have the same fixtures and look forward to finally installing them.

Definitely post some pictures before and after! I would love to see the difference in lighting placement and how it works out. I am going to add 5 more of these in my garage and use one as a portable light to work on the car.

Well... It only took 2 and a half years, but I finally installed the lights. Some before and after pictures:

The garage is considerably more pleasant to work in now. I plan to add one more on each side, but it's good for now. The hanging lights will also get replaced once the cars are out of the way. I have a semi crazy idea for more lighting when working under cars on the lifts, but that will have to wait until I can do a more substantial renovation.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/2/20 11:22 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

I installed 10 of the Maxstar/Shineretrofit in my 20x24 and it's a huge upgrade for not a ton. https://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6860302 for details.

This is where I got my info on converting to LEDs in my garage. I'm doing mine as the bulbs/fixtures die. So far I've converted 4 of 8 2 bulb fixtures. 

KaiserM715
KaiserM715 New Reader
8/20/20 4:26 p.m.

I am debating buying something like the Barrinas or get dedicated LED fixtures (decent ones look to be about $20 ea for 4' dual lamps) and then putting the LED lamps in.  The downside is they are more expensive, the upside is I can replace a lamp if it fails vs throwing the whole thing in the trash...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/20/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to KaiserM715 :

The Barrinas are pretty modular.  I suspect if one of the lights failed, you should be able to pop it out, and put another one in.

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
8/20/20 9:02 p.m.

I'm in the process of replacing some approximately 3 year old LEDs from the local big box store that are failing with Barrinas from Amazon.  A 10 pack of 8 foot units (9000 lumens each) was $200.  Easy to install and you can string them together.  Very bright and a whiter light than the previous LEDs.  Only question is how long they'll last, but I'm very pleased with them so far

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/20/20 9:21 p.m.

I hvae 5K Barrinas in the garage based on this thread.  They're cheap and bright - I'm happy.

In the workshop I found LED fluorescent replacement tubes that work with or without ballasts in the existing fixtures for about $6 each in my local big box.  They're a great improvement over the fluorescent tubes.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/21/20 6:31 a.m.

Here is a question for y'all. I'd really like to put up some lights in the garage like this overhead, but I've also been known to work in the evenings with the garage door open. Thus covering up the logical place to mount the lights. 

Thoughts?

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
8/21/20 6:47 a.m.

Make brackets that mount to the outside of the door tracks and angle in underneath.  This would allow you to mount the lights just under the door, but off to the side.

An alternative might be a brace going between the two tracks. Mount the lights to the brace.  But then you lose clearance under the door. 

Jack Olsen (12 Gauge Garage) used some cake pans and light sockets mounted to some braces to have lights just under the door near the front of his garage. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/20 8:13 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
8/21/20 8:13 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I wish I could work with the garage door open, but I'd get eaten alive by the mosquitos. 

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

That's a cool idea.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/21/20 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike:

That's such a great, simple idea. 

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter:

I saw that the other day, hilarious no doubt. It's a bit too janky for my tastes. laugh

In reply to Ian F:

Depends on the time of year here. 

wae
wae UltraDork
8/21/20 9:15 a.m.

I'm not sure what they're using, but there's some high-end detail shop that just opened nearby and they put up these lights:

I can't tell if it's some sort of "system" or just regular LED shop lights that have been arranged, but I'm quite jealous.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
8/21/20 12:36 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Maybe this??

http://hexagonlighting.com/

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
8/21/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Mosquito season is basically from April to October here. 

The hexagon lighting system is pretty cool, although it doesn't look cheap.  However, for some spaces it would be cost-effective because it could be installed at a height that effectively lowers the ceiling of an industrial space but without the need to modify the building sprinkler system - which can cost more than adding the ceiling and lights.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/21/20 6:18 p.m.

We have one of these and it's pretty good. Not sure how healthy it is, ptretty strong if you get too close.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Repellent-Effective-DEET-Free-Scent-Free/dp/B084HH24V1

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/31/20 12:17 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Deadicated is a very slick outfit, but knowing how trust fund-ey the owners are, I have no doubts that the honeycomb lighting grid is ungodly expensive.

Just as a status report, I'm three years into having 18 of the original 2000 lumen Barrinas in my garage and utility room.  I've had one go bad in that time span; the other 17 are still kicking and get used quite a bit.  Pretty pleased with that, especially at the price.

Also, the kit now includes wiring harness bits to hardwire them if you like, which weren't included when I did mine.

Think I'm going to buy some of the big 8-footers to redo my garage and move the ones in the garage into my attic.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/14/22 9:09 a.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks the update.  Of my three four foot LEDs one died and one only half works.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/14/22 11:52 a.m.

I have 10 of the Barrina lights installed.  Still 100% working and still very pleased with the purchase.  Will buy and add more as needed. yes

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/22 2:07 p.m.

I've had 8 of the 4-footers in my garage, two pairs of 4 with a connecting wire between. They're plugged in to a switched receptacle, so the on-off switch in the power cord is always on. About a month ago the switch melted. I'm glad I was in the garage when it happened. No smoke, no fire, but the switch was hot and may have gotten ugly if I hadn't been there to shut it off quickly. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/14/22 5:48 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I wish I could work with the garage door open, but I'd get eaten alive by the mosquitos. 

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

That's a cool idea.  

I just bought a full width garage door bug screen and it is awesome. I'm using it as a dust filter to use the garage as a paint booth while blowing air out the exterior entry door (also with a screen). 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JztFjFObOIizFFKiIwiHp3oyfzgeseLyIhc0PacwG1ybyLQjukx5MNP2xGZE62Ie