1 2
car39
car39 HalfDork
11/17/18 10:18 a.m.

When I sold my business, the buyer wasn't paying me for shop supplies, so it was game on!   5 years later, I have a 1/2 cabinet, large bin, two self metal rack and two shelves on a plastic rack with various cleaners and snake oil (additives).   The cabinet is for items in use, the metal shelves for whatever doesn't fit in the cabinet, the plastic shelves and bin are the backups for the backups.  It was the only way I could get control of the situation.  I went from a 3 car garage with at large basement to a 8x10 room to store EVERYTHING, including a golf cart.  Watch for sales, the big boxes have some decent metal cabinets, and HF has stepped up their quality on their boxes.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
11/24/18 11:17 p.m.

I hate whoever posted the garagejournal site. Time to go waste some money. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 9:20 a.m.

Wow...      Zombie Thread from 2011!

Here's how I solved my original problem a few years ago, using a $20 swap meet find:

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/25/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

How do you get the wheels/tires up/down from that rack?  Something like that would have me put them up there once and then never move them again.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
11/26/18 10:22 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I hate whoever posted the garagejournal site. Time to go waste some money. 

Much like GRM, GarageJournal is an evil place where the bad idea fairy roosts.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/2/18 9:23 p.m.

well, since I just cleaned mine today and took a few pics, I'll post them here. Maybe give you some ideas since this is 10+ years worth of trying to fit a lot of stuff into a 2-car garage that also has to be functional to fit one and occasionally two project/race cars. Almost all the shelving is home-built, as well as a buddy's old kitchen cabinets. I like building with wood (I just paint it black so it looks nicer). It's a standard height ceiling more or less, so I also built some overhead storage for smaller items, spanning the middle of the garage and over the front half of one bay.

fold-up work table

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/3/18 8:38 a.m.

There's a 36 page long thread on the Garage Journal showing one person's reorganization methods for their garage.  He did some pretty incredible work, building cabinets and shelves to store all his stuff.  Even if you don't even do 1/10 of what he did, it's impressive and entertaining to go through the photos.  https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381487

pirate
pirate Reader
12/3/18 8:42 a.m.

I have a heavy duty 8 foot by 2 foot deep shelving unit purchased from Lowe’s. I then purchased 12 of the heavy duty plastic bins with the two piece folding tops. I have one bin that is used to store spray cans and the rest of the bins house car parts, tools that are not used frequently and a variety of other items. I put the heaviest of the bins on bottom shelf and lighter bins on top. I have the shelving unit screwed into the wall for stability.  A lot of storage, looks neat, and doesn’t take up a lot of floor space in my small shop.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/3/18 9:26 a.m.

I need to redo much of the storage in my garage.  While I can fit two cars length-wise, with shelving and tool boxes, there simply isn't enough to room to actually work on anything.  I have some ideas, but it'll take some planning to implement.   Similar to what someone mentioned previously, I need shelves that are just deep enough for 1 gal anti-freeze and 5 qt oil jugs, tight to the wall so I can gain some working room.  Due to how the walls are inset from the foundation blocks, this will require the shelves to be custom made.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/18 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

To get around the walls being inset from the blocks my FIL and i just notched out the shelves to clear the blocks.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/3/18 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

That's more or less what I plan to do.  The issue is the desire for a specific shelf depth and the fact most types of generic wooden shelves (particle board construction) tend not to survive in a garage environment.   Plus, I'd like to keep the floor under the shelves clear.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/18 11:07 a.m.

I've been re-organizing my garage recently. Also trying to sell off some parts to gain some space. I should get some pics and post...

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/18 7:36 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

There's a 36 page long thread on the Garage Journal showing one person's reorganization methods for their garage.  He did some pretty incredible work, building cabinets and shelves to store all his stuff.  Even if you don't even do 1/10 of what he did, it's impressive and entertaining to go through the photos.  https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381487

He keeps referring to HDPE trays. I see what he is referring to, but I guess I’m not sure where you get those.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/3/18 9:50 p.m.
Harvey said:

He keeps referring to HDPE trays. I see what he is referring to, but I guess I’m not sure where you get those.

This one is made of ABS and not HDPE but it's generally the kind of tool tray / organizer he's referring to.  https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Sorter-Wrench-Organizer-Red/dp/B00HNZWPCQ/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543895339&sr=8-21-spons&keywords=hdpe+tool+organizer&psc=1

Matt
Matt New Reader
12/4/18 9:10 a.m.

always a good place to start researching garage ideas....     http://12-gaugegarage.com/

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/18 10:00 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Harvey said:

This one is made of ABS and not HDPE but it's generally the kind of tool tray / organizer he's referring to.  https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Sorter-Wrench-Organizer-Red/dp/B00HNZWPCQ/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543895339&sr=8-21-spons&keywords=hdpe+tool+organizer&psc=1

It seems like he is making his own in some cases.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/18 7:06 p.m.

Hung up more stuff in the garage recently and put the 996 autoX tires up on the tire rack.  The ZR-1 and its stack of spare tires and wheels may be gone next weekend.  The Miata may be sold next too.  I photo’d the garage today but should’ve done it after sweeping.  I have a few more minor touches and stuff to sell to make it even better.  If my amazon find comes through, I will be getting a tool upgrade and have tools for sale too.

I also drove the 996, Miata and challenge mustang today and changed accessory belts on the Miata (squeaking gone) and the 4.5 rib accessory belt on the challenge Mustang with a 6 rib belt.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/23 3:46 a.m.

In reply to Ben0321 :

I've Ben canoe 'd. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/21/23 10:38 a.m.

This reminds me that I need to get rid of the Ikea cubes in my garage for actual cabinets like AnthonyGS. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
7/21/23 1:12 p.m.
Ben0321 said:

In reply to Ben0321 :

Visit https://garamer.com to book a design consultation or seek the best garage organization plans~

Or if you want a better way to do this, and not pay thousands for a "storage design" with cheap materials. You can diy with french cleats if you have a table, or circular saw.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
7/24/23 9:30 p.m.

My son made an awesome tool cabinet from file cabinet! He put a video on YouTube about it, search for Petrol360. 

I have one too. I put all my power tools in it, grinders and cut-off tools in one drawer, impact drivers, drills and bits in another drawer, all those plastic boxes with tap and die sets/rivet gun/tube flaring kit/etc. in another drawer. Works well for us!  I see them on CL or Marketplace for under $100 pretty regularly. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/23 4:24 p.m.

In reply to mightymike :

I have 2 wood cabinets remaining in my shop. It's hard to find decent metal 2 door cabinets on a cheap-ass' budget. I decided that 2 2 drawer file cabinets will fit the bill perfect. I plan on pulling the drawers out and using that metal to make the doors, then hang them horizontally.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RKWvwPIvz5cRQwGxGZ3uskgUwIOz5gfd7KxMRdTpVV4AWBgtZE27NZZoAUXjWbko