petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/15 7:49 a.m.

Consider that my official tire review.

Seriously though, these things really surprised me with their grip on ice. I expected therm to be good on snow, and they are, but 60-70 on ice was totally controllable, and stopping distance wasn't noticably longer than on snow(which really wasn't much different than anything else).

I'd run the Michellin X-Ice on my Accent the last several winters, and they're awesome too, but really fell off in slush. The AT2s work good in that too.

If you own a truck/SUV, these are a great year-round tire that really handle winter conditions well.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/15 6:14 a.m.

Good to know. They're on the short list for tires for my Tracker, was concerned with how they would handle snow/ice.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
1/26/15 10:00 a.m.

I have a set on my JK Wrangler and I fully agree. For the money they're probably the best A/T tire with a "snowflake" rating out there. One interesting thing to note about the Grabbers is that they're available in both 4 ply and 10 ply. The 10 ply's cost as much as Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (which are an even better tire).

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/15 12:20 p.m.

4 Ply are more than enough for my little Geo Tracker. With 10 ply.... wow talk about some low air pressures.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/2/15 10:01 a.m.

Got them on my 2000 pathfinder. I've pounded 7,000 miles or so on them already since install last fall. Great tire. They do have more road noise than a normal highway tire, but you should expect that in this type of tire, and its not excessive. Ride is smooth and I haven't noticed any abnormal wear, despite not getting around to rotating them. They chew through snow, slush, ice and the mountains of road salt Michigan uses with ease. Even my all open diff R50 does surprisingly well off road with these tires. And they really toughen up the look of a otherwise soccer mom looking SUV. For the price, I highly doubt you can do better.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/15 4:05 p.m.

I got to test mine in the deepest snow so far, and was able to climb a 10%+ grade with 6" of unplowed snow no problem.

I did get stuck after driving through a berm of snow into a downhill drive, and was unable to back up over the berm because the snow was too deep, but shoveling down a couple inches was all it took to backup through it.

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
3/9/15 3:15 p.m.

I run these on my bus, been in snow, mud, and lots of trails.

scaraj
scaraj New Reader
4/29/15 11:37 a.m.

I have had the AT-2s on my Discovery for a couple years now and I cannot speak highly enough about them. Fantastic in the snow and on muddy trails.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
9/2/15 10:55 a.m.

i have a set on my jeep cherokee with plans to use on my fox mustang rally car

TGMF
TGMF Reader
9/30/15 4:45 p.m.

Since this thread bumped back from the dead, I'll update. Ive got a good 17K or so on my Grabbers now. I've been doing a lot of towing (smallish utility trailers and campers) recently as well as spent more time off road this summer. My essentially stock Pathfinder isn't some rock crawling machine, so I don't push the limits off road. That said, I've had the truck balancing on two or three wheels through washouts, and climbed slippery mud hills. Any level of off-roading appropriate for the capabilities of the rest of my rig I have been able to drive through without issue. These tires deliver. Still not noisy, and no significant abnormal wear. Still smooth driving on the highway. I'd buy them again without question.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/21/15 8:00 a.m.
TGMF wrote: Since this thread bumped back from the dead, I'll update. Ive got a good 17K or so on my Grabbers now. I've been doing a lot of towing (smallish utility trailers and campers) recently as well as spent more time off road this summer. My essentially stock Pathfinder isn't some rock crawling machine, so I don't push the limits off road. That said, I've had the truck balancing on two or three wheels through washouts, and climbed slippery mud hills. Any level of off-roading appropriate for the capabilities of the rest of my rig I have been able to drive through without issue. These tires deliver. Still not noisy, and no significant abnormal wear. Still smooth driving on the highway. I'd buy them again without question.

Good timing. I'm looking at getting some new tires for the winter and this adds to my list of prospects.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
10/22/15 10:11 a.m.

My XJ came with Grabber AT2s on them. I didn't think much of them, until I replaced them. Now I wish I had just freshened up that set. What an awesome tire!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
df41xZgrtqB69QfG3NPMHtjOs1fmIY0BmlxJ2PJ0k6Hw3WRztLXx6aDKgRgcrOFP