1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/14 11:24 p.m.

As most of you know, I took a job at a locally owned store of a large national chain in blue buildings hawking car parts. As they are not a GRM advertiser, I don't want to get too involved, but on the other hand I have great "insider" information to forewarn you all with. (Notice I don't mention their name.) If you have any questions, please let me know! (I'm also more than happy to look up any parts specs whatsoever, and yes, we have the Mitchell1 database, too).

The Good: The corporate website gives the best pricing, even better than most commercial accounts. You can reserve online and pick up in store. AAA members get another 10% off with card. Most of us do a once-a-month sale day (ours is the 2nd Saturday) that's awesome. Stuff printed in our sales flyers is actually on sale, usually at less than cost (kickbacks). The filters are awesome, but stick with Gold. The Pro Select and Silver line are garbage. The NCP line of chassis parts is good for the most part, Echlin ignition/electrical is good, and our line of new and rebuilt water pumps, alternators, and starters are finally decent.

The Bad: Some of the parts we sell suck. Do not buy any TS line brake parts, ever. Also pass on MRC "Master Ride" chassis components, all of our house brand shocks/struts (Monroe), and anything with the brand "Mileage Plus" or "Proformer". If it's not in our corporate system and we have to special order it from outside, the pricing will be horrible (nobody cuts us a deal), so just get it on your own.

The Awesome: Yeah, not the ugly, the awesome. We have a secret, and it's called Altrom (line code ATM). Altrom is owned by the parent company and imports in OE type parts from overseas (Japan, Korea, Germany, Sweden, UK, etc). We're talking Ultra 8 and Zimmerman rotors, Akebono and EBC pads, MANN and Mahle filters, etc. Really, really good stuff that's tough to get in the US. The really great part? Corporate has no idea how to price this stuff, so it's usually stupid cheap. Yes, stupid cheap. I can sell OEM brake rotors and matching Ceramic pads for a Volvo for less than my value line TS "Proformer" garbage organics! KYB's for 1/4th a Monro SensaTrac, etc. The west coast warehouse is in Washington state, too, so I have access to the full line at my store. If you own anything imported at all, you need to check this out.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. If you're local, hop in for the GRM discount.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
4/22/14 11:30 p.m.

I'm not local local but I'm damn sure close enough to make a pilgrimage down one of these days.
Thanks Jav!

solfly
solfly Reader
4/23/14 4:53 a.m.

Worked there for 11 years before I left for much much greener pastures.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/23/14 7:03 a.m.

thanks Javelin …

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/23/14 7:38 a.m.

the KYB's are still pricier than almost any internet supplier.

You're right about them not knowing what to do with Altrom. They're crazy high as often as they're crazy low, but it's worth checking on. I've often found parts with the OEM numbers scratched off(who's job is that?)

I don't mind the proselect filters. Have you cut one open yet? It's basically the same, but with slightly less media. Could be worse for the price. Do you have the twice-annual sales on the Gold line where you're at?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
4/23/14 8:31 a.m.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/23/14 8:35 a.m.

Another awesome: The Carlyle line of tools.

MSRP is pretty high on them, but the sale prices are entirely decent for the quality of the tools.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
4/23/14 8:37 a.m.

Oh yeah, I was wondering why I got an "Ultra 8" cabin air filter when I dropped in a few months ago. Never heard of the brand before and RockAuto didn't have it, but the packaging and filter looked well made.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/23/14 9:13 a.m.

ultra8 isn't so much a brand as a rebrand

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/14 10:41 a.m.

Good to know.

Javelin
4/26/14 2:29 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: the KYB's are still pricier than almost any internet supplier. You're right about them not knowing what to do with Altrom. They're crazy high as often as they're crazy low, but it's worth checking on. I've often found parts with the OEM numbers scratched off(who's job is that?) I don't mind the proselect filters. Have you cut one open yet? It's basically the same, but with slightly less media. Could be worse for the price. Do you have the twice-annual sales on the Gold line where you're at?

Corporate just started to break out KYB's from Altrom into their own line. Expect it to be complete in June-ish. Some of them are stupid cheap, some are stupid high. They should be competitive with other bricks-and-mortar soon, then you won't have to deal with shipping hassles like I did.

We just got a pallet of Altrom pads... PBR's!

I have cut apart the ProSelect, and they are not nearly as good as a Gold. Plastic internal structures instead of metal, cardboard valves instead of rubber, a lot less media and of lessor quality (higher micron).

Our Gold line sale is every 2nd Saturday.

Javelin
4/26/14 2:30 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Another awesome: The Carlyle line of tools. MSRP is pretty high on them, but the sale prices are entirely decent for the quality of the tools.

Absoberkeleyinglutely! Carlyle has come a long way and is now one of the best hand tools on the market. Not only that, but corporate actually pays attention. We were having nasty head failures on the 1/2" drive torque wrenches, so they redesigned them and recalled the old ones out of the stores. When they go on sale, grab them (check the quarterly Real Deals).

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
4/26/14 2:36 p.m.

I liked the blue store back in PIttsburg and had them do the inspection and machine work on my F2T head way back in the day. I find it odd that they don't have a store in Wichita; the closest is probably in Mount Hope, a town of less than 1,000 people. Then again this town is kind of covered in auto parts stores so I'm not shocked.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
4/26/14 3:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote: As most of you know, I took a job at a locally owned store of a large national chain in blue buildings hawking car parts.

Ikea sells car parts? Sweeeeeet

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/26/14 5:37 p.m.

I'm a long way from the west coast, so how am I to access this magical line of cheap, high quality parts? Do I walk into my local Ikea and say "get me some cheap, high quality rotors for my MINI from your Altrom line?" Do I bring a six pack to the guy at the counter or give him a secret handshake?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/14 5:43 p.m.

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

Javelin
4/26/14 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

Look up the parts online, click the reserve for in store pickup, and save 10%.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
4/26/14 10:22 p.m.

I always wondered where the disconnect was between the price I checked online and the one in the store. I'll make my orders online now.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/14 10:44 p.m.

Can you order in parts that are not in stock on the website for instore pickup or do you have to call the store?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
4/26/14 10:47 p.m.

I ran PBR Metalmasters back when they were called Repco metalmasters...and when we ran a 14 hour chumpcar race I used them in the Integra. Great consistency, no fade to speak of, and we ran 13 1/2 hours with them, and half an hour on steel. Odd thing was, there was so much material transfer onto the rotors, I was able to machine them after, and they were still within spec.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
7/16/14 9:46 a.m.

I'm looking at starters from NAPA.

What is the difference between the standard line (power premium plus) and premium line (power supreme electrical)? They also have Bosch for $50 more than the others.

Javelin
7/17/14 12:48 a.m.

In reply to MINIzguy:

Warranty coverage and parts usage (copper versus steel, etc). Try to get the NAE line code starter if at all possible, the RAY line code ones have a nasty habit of failing.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/17/14 5:36 a.m.

Thanks big time Javelin! A blue store just opened in my town earlier this year and the old manager from the orange store was the one who opened it. He's a great guy and he took all the best staff from the orange store with him. Ive been supporting them all I can already because they are the only local place I can get Eneos and Lubro Moly oil. This thread is awesome.

bigev007
bigev007 New Reader
7/17/14 8:13 a.m.

I really wish the Canadian version of "Ikea" had pricing online. I hate calling, and going in is out of my way.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
7/17/14 12:27 p.m.

How'd I miss this thread the first time around? Thanks Javelin for the info! Now to figure out when my local store's sale day is.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dR2z3PZ1BBKbmkECbNZ4iVm13BoR03tpiaHNs3DI7MDzVTdlE8TN3r12Xq2lc1Xd