1 2
Nashco
Nashco UberDork
4/25/13 4:05 p.m.

My '67 wagon with the as-it-came worn out B18, non-overdrive 4 speed, and 4.10 rear axle gets in the high 20s if I do steady state cruising (55 mph). Best I've ever recorded on a tank was in the low 30s. Worst I've recorded was in the teens. I keep track, but the car is used so infrequently and for such wide duty cycles, it's hard to put much stock into the fuel economy.

I can say that compared to the old Weber and points system, it's about 1000% easier to live with!

Bryce

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/25/13 8:40 p.m.

if you need odds and ends like the map sensor, wiring plugs, etc... i'd be willing to cut it all off the truck for you. i could possibly remove the whole engine harness depending how integrated it is into the rest of the truck.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
4/26/13 7:27 a.m.

Appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to go with all new sensors and wiring. I'm fearful of getting this whole thing set up and then driving myself crazy chasing down something that isn't working correctly.

volvoclearinghouse
5/9/13 1:22 p.m.

Rock Auto was a bit of a tease.

On the R/A site, under "Throttle Body" for the 88-91 Cavalier, they had a close-out special for $13. I figured I couldn't lose- the regular remanned part was $200. So I ordered one. A few days later I get the box- it's a TB rebuild kit. Argh.

I also ordered the reluctor kit and pickup assembly from R/A. The packaged for each arrived separately, and when I opened the envelope containing the box for the pickup, I found a smashed box with a spark plug boot rattling around in the envelope.

Now, I ain't no exspurt when it comes to electronics, but I figure a spark plug boot is not a pickup assembly. Called Rock Auto, the operator was super nice and sent me a replacement free of charge. Didn't even ask me to send the old one back. I offered to text him a picture of the package, but he didn't even want that.

So, I'm off to the junkyard to find a Cavalier TB that I can rebuild with my $13 kit. :-/

volvoclearinghouse
5/10/13 8:12 a.m.

OK, so I'm a wuss.

I checked out the price list for the local pick n pull and they want 28 bucks for a throttle body. Plus 2 dollars to get into the yard. Plus a $5 core. so we're up to $35...plus my time, and gas, to drive there and back. For $15 more I found one on eBay. Took me about 30 seconds to hit the "Buy-it-now" button.

scotabbott
scotabbott New Reader
1/2/14 10:25 a.m.

Most Throttle body setups use terrible injectors with poor spray patterns. (A good example is a tbi video on youtube which shows the spray pattern on a 2.5 s10 TBI setup.) The positive attribute to a 'wet manifold' system is uniformity of mixture, which, unfortunately is compromised by the lousy injectors themselves. I retrofitted EFI to my MGB's and to a couple of Triumph 6's using a Megasquirt and high performance injectors mounted inside the stock carburetor body. It worked great the result looked stock. See my journals on the Mgexperience site for details) I have subsequently started using a Moates APU1 and am retrofitting EFI using a GM ecm which I reprogram and the 'wet' configuration, but with modern high pressure injectors. The cost per vehicle is a lot less, and you can do all the neat stuff (real time tuning, data logging, etc) megasquirts do, plus there is a 'limp home mode built into the GM setup, in case something in the EFI fails. I feel that this route takes advantage of all the better aspects of the stuff available for cheap.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qqwzPmXsXngYFxVJ6NN4ZL35XnbAA3G62ivECv0AH4FpBuNXAHClo3232rvdpprb