icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
4/10/14 7:24 a.m.

It’s time to get the wife a new vehicle. After ten years she is tired of the minivan. My number one requirement is she gets exactly what she wants, because she will have it for the next 8 years or so, and everyone knows the importance of a happy wife. After looking at various 3rd row suv options, her favorite is the buick enclave, GM’s lambda crossover and sister to the GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse. We were getting close to pulling the trigger when a mechanic buddy of mine told me they had worked on several that had power steering pump failures. Not only do you get to swap out the pump and possibly steering rack, the replacements don’t seem to hold up real well either, and one they had done 3 times by 100k miles. Even worse is that at it can lose power steering randomly and suddenly while driving, which isn’t exactly safe. Anybody know how frequent this problem is? Any other feedback on these cars? Ideally she wants a 3rd row crossover, fwd, bucket seats in the second row, and ability to tow my race car (4000 lbs).

We have looked at the new pathfinder, and found it not near as nice as the buick, the Hyundai santa fe was actually the second favorite. Any other suggested vehicles?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
4/10/14 7:29 p.m.

Ford Exploder

We have a 2012 and really like it.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/14 8:22 a.m.

If you are considering an Acadia triplet built before the 2013 model year RUN do not walk to a different choice. 2013 and newer seem to be right.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/11/14 8:26 a.m.

My brother has a 2010 Traverse, no problems. Ford Flex? can option with mid row buckets. Handles more car like and gets better fuel economy, probably not as lux as the Buick and not as big.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
4/11/14 9:06 a.m.

3rd row? Only other one you haven't mentioned SUV ish would be an XC90

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
4/11/14 10:30 a.m.
Quasi Mofo wrote: If you are considering an Acadia triplet built before the 2013 model year RUN do not walk to a different choice. 2013 and newer seem to be right.

Any more information on the issues? We were close to pulling the trigger on an enclave but ingot another vague warning on another car website from guys I trust.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
4/11/14 10:36 a.m.

The issue with the Volvo is the nearest dealer is 4 hours away

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
4/11/14 12:50 p.m.

The Acura MDX is a nice mid-size. Tow ratings are 3,500 nominal & 5,000 for a boat (must be the better aero). Have had a couple in the family - no issues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CYj2q8l2Cckfy1EI77XavN2jxlqvALCFGyS3YUnuZIo9slQRX5kKyi0hJlZOkoVM