Zachary Mayne
Zachary Mayne
4/8/13 10:00 a.m.

The current Nissan GT-R is a complex, high-tech super-car. It features an all- wheel drive chassis, is turbocharged to the tune of 530 horsepower, relies on a sophisticated dual-clutch gearbox, and boasts an array of performance-maximizing technological aids that also protect the driver—even if he has an over-exuberant right foot. The GT-R is a deeply impressive car by any definition, and it’s as happy tackling the Nürburgring Nordschleife as it is whisking its occupants to dinner in luxury.

But back in 1970, well, the machine that would go on to become Nissan’s greatest driving car was a bit more simple. The contrast between GT-Rs old and new is impossible to forget when sliding into the driver’s seat of Eric Bauer’s 1970 example. This may be a tribute car based on a Skyline 2000 GT rather than a real GT-R, but it’s still utterly and completely cool.

Compared to the latest GT-R, this vintage example’s interior is basic and unadorned. Just past the three-spoke Nardi steering wheel are the analog gauges, which are set into deep pods that recall the 240Z dashboard. No electronic doodads here—just the car, some basic controls, and the driver.

Then comes the good stuff. Pump the gas pedal lightly a couple of times, then turn the key in the ignition. After a second or so of cranking, the L28 straight six whomps to life with a deep, unmuffled roar. And that’s not cheap automotive journalism hyperbole either. The noise the Skyline’s engine makes is intimidating before the car has even pulled away from a stop.

Read the rest of the story

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/4/14 10:59 a.m.

I like it. I see a callback to MiniLite-type wheels from some angles. Is the screen in the center console removable? BMW did the same kind of thing, made it look more like an aftermarket add-on than integrated into the design, but overall, I really like it. Clean exterior lines but still some sharpness, fairly simple interior by modern standards.

Oh yeah, and 220 lbs lighter than the NC! Any figures on HP/engine yet?

Our Preferred Partners
V9VjSTN3BW180NViuKvaYOaE2gN84zMQcjIci4WzGgV8iGEoCNuuGCYiT8OHREQJ