1 2 3
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/10 6:59 p.m.

Heading up to Vermont this weekend for the Mt. Ascutney hillclimb event. We'll see how Satans new shoes hold up. (That means the cheap Firestones I just put on the Saturn are gonna get a beating) Any GRM'er's in that neck of the woods?

Carson
Carson Dork
5/18/10 7:14 p.m.

Take pictures! I love hillclimbs.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
5/18/10 7:15 p.m.

I'm planning on heading out Saturday to check it out. I've been wanting to do hill climbs for a while now but haven't even been to one. Hopefully this weekend will be a first! Need a hand with anything?

barnca
barnca Reader
5/18/10 7:28 p.m.

im from central nh.. maybe ill bring my son up. used to run the series.. ascutney is a blast.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/10 7:32 p.m.

I saw a glimmer of hope, but Google Maps says three hours and six minutes. Probably not going to happen. Have fun.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
5/18/10 7:33 p.m.
Carson wrote: Take pictures! I love hillclimbs.

since you're in NC and love hillclimbs you might want to head to the WNC mts June 12 & 13

http://www.ccrscca.com/club-racing/hill-climb/

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
5/18/10 8:45 p.m.

Have fun!

I am also heading to New England...for the New Hampshire Vintage Celebration. Three days of keen racing in my Spridget, plus neat vintage side-car racing to boot!

http://www.vrgonline.org/events/

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
5/18/10 8:49 p.m.

I WAS going to go to Loudon to check that out but then I saw the hill climb advertised. Let me know how it is!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/18/10 11:21 p.m.

All I can think is how Stone Quarry road in Ithaca would be interesting for a hill climb. 1.3 miles, 580ft elevation change, cut out of the side of a hill.

have fun

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
5/19/10 12:06 a.m.

I'll be there Sunday if not Saturday as well.

Too bad my car isn't ready!?

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
5/19/10 12:15 a.m.

have you been to that event before?

i autox with a guy that's got a creampuff e30 m3, e46 m3, and last year he built a fully caged e36 m3 for hillclimbs. looked pretty sweet. i cant remember his name right now but he's from new zealand. might you know him? i gotta get my butt to one of those events...

Woody
5/19/10 6:53 a.m.

Is that a spectator friendly event?

Gearheadotaku
5/19/10 7:33 a.m.

Wilber: Never been there before, so I don't know your M3 guy.

Woody: Never been there before, so I don't know.

Watch for the green Saturn, I'm sure I will be the only one in a sea of Miata's, E30's and RX-7's.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
5/19/10 8:21 a.m.

It's spectator friendly. Come early and hitch a ride to a check point or chill at the start line, both provide action.

Dave Burden will be chairing the event.

www.hillclimb.org is the web site

Photos from Ascutney 2009 are here: http://daveestey.smugmug.com/Cars/Ascutney-Hillclimb-II-Sept-19/9686829_ZaK8n#654393808_2SRFC

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 8:27 a.m.

If you are there early enough friday night, stop by site 37. My brother in law and I will be frying up some wings for the masses.

Woody, in terms of spectating, you'll only be able to see the start if you come in for a short amount of time. If you can commit to working the hill, you'll get a free lunch, and adult beverages after the hill is closed. Working gives you the best spectating. Workers meeting is usually around 7:30am.

Honestly, you won't see many miata's....one of the few motorsports where they aren't the most popular ride. You'll likely see more subie's and mitsu's than anything.

Wiber, you must mean James M.

If I can help with anything, let me know. or pop over to the forums at hillclimb.org.

The hillclimb crew is a friendly bunch, you'll have a good time, though I know it can be intimidating running with a new group of folks.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
5/19/10 8:29 a.m.

Sounds like a blast. I have to work Saturday, and have a local (Maine) autocross Sunday, so I won't make it.

But I know all too well what it's like to have the only Saturn entered in an event. I've had 4 of them - 2 of them were green. :) Good luck, and make that plastic fly!!!

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 8:36 a.m.

Gear....your profile says MI, are you coming all the way from there?

Woody
5/19/10 8:41 a.m.
sachilles wrote: Woody, in terms of spectating, you'll only be able to see the start if you come in for a short amount of time. If you can commit to working the hill, you'll get a free lunch, and adult beverages after the hill is closed. Working gives you the best spectating. Workers meeting is usually around 7:30am.

I've worked a lot of events in the past and I agree that it's often the best way to see a race, but because of the distance, I can't commit to it this time.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

You might be able to come in and work from lunch to the end of the day. No pressure to do that, just want you to get a good spot to see stuff if you drive 3 hours. Otherwise, you'll only get to see cars launch at the start.

This particular hill doesn't have many opportunities for a casual spectator. Some of the other hills have hiking paths that can lead to safe viewing.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
5/19/10 8:59 a.m.

Hill climbs are fun. Two things to remember. No run off room, keep it on the black. Those trees are huge.

Gearheadotaku
5/19/10 9:19 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

Yep, all the way from the Motorcity. My bother is flying up from GA to hang out for the weekend! He'll need a good drinking, I mean watching spot...

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 9:28 a.m.

No hooch while the cars are driving, but once the hill is closed it's game on. Glad you are making the trip. Just curious on the motivation, is it because of the Rally America coefficient points, or just always wanted to do one? You may get the long drive award. Regardless, you'll have a fun time. Weather appears like it will be quite good, as far as you can tell this many days in advance.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 9:30 a.m.

oh and where is your brother flying in to....does he need a ride to the event? I can help you find someone close to whatever airport he's coming in to.

Gearheadotaku
5/19/10 10:27 a.m.

Motovation? Motorsports threapy. If only I could write it off...Never done a hillclimb before, and something that doesn't involve dodging cones sounded like a good change of pace. Bro's meeting a local friend, so it's all set up for him. No drinking during the day for spectators? He's not working or driving....no big deal, just curious. Guess staggering drunks close to the course could be bad.... Hope the weather holds

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 10:38 a.m.

I suppose spectating there is no rule against drinking(not sure though). Like I said, spectating is very limited, he might be better off working.

Working consists of sitting at a check point. One person runs a radio saying the car has gone by. Second person responds to an incident if there is one. 3rd or 4th person is more or less a bonus and just sit and watch/take pictures.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y6L4nRIcx2CmW4VmrGNqSn5zQwzKlGnTOixJyIYQ6nAnCx8MlhIjwnyDLQqzjYmJ