1 2 3 ... 12
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/14/16 2:34 p.m.

Being the glutton for punishment that I am I have decided to out-do the 2014 fiero parking lot build this year. That was pretty much a terrible idea from the get go so what better way to follow it up then to try something even more ridiculous.

Starting bright and early on Thursday morning 09/29/16, I plan to flat tow a stock miata into the hotel parking lot with my soccer mom challenge minivan. Said minivan will be full of tools, beer, my welder and several sticks of roll bar tubing. Oh yeah and some spray paint because trying to paint a "race" car in the dark is the essence of the challenge.

Anyways I plan to turn the miata into an I'll handling ghettocet dune buggy looking thing. I know it will handle worse and be essentially worthless when I am finished with it but it will be awesome on so many levels.

So if you would like to help me ruin "the answer" look for me in the parking lot Thursday morning.

Some inspiration...

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
3/14/16 2:53 p.m.

I approve !

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/16 2:55 p.m.

In.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/14/16 3:09 p.m.

You crack me up. This will be a hoot. How is your van coming anyway?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/14/16 3:50 p.m.

Engine is out, tax season and it's resultant scramble to get flip cars ready is mostly behind me now. I am hoping to jerk the CL engine next week. I am moving the 2017 s10 to the back burner till the van is at least assembled.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/14/16 4:18 p.m.

This is a most brilliant plan.

Is it valid that I feel sorry for the owners and managers of the host hotel? I have a certain mental image of the hotel parking lot during the challenge, and it is a slightly disturbing one

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/14/16 4:23 p.m.

Count me in!
I do not but does anyone have the ability to do some time lapse video?

This follows my usual Challenge motto of, "bad ideas should be encouraged"

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/14/16 4:26 p.m.

What color rustoleum are we using? Obviously can't go with primer again.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/14/16 4:29 p.m.

I have a theme in mind. It's not gray.

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
3/14/16 4:31 p.m.

Let me know what I can bring or how I can help. I plan on being done with my challenge car(s) early so hopefully I won't be exhausted at the challenge.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/14/16 4:49 p.m.

I'm here in Gainesville. If there is anything I can do in advance to help/store etc, just let me know.

Could you strip in such a fashion that one could use the remnants to then build one of these?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/14/16 5:05 p.m.

I am thinking of putting some truck tires on it afterwards and using it like a dune buggy. Maybe enter it in a rallycross.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/14/16 5:06 p.m.

If things fall properly into place and I end up coming to spectate/hang out/obliterate all other minivans on an informal basis, I'll bring the vinyl cutter and we cut vinyl under the stars.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/16 5:08 p.m.

I like where this is heading.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/14/16 5:19 p.m.

I nominate Alan McCrispin for the scored autox runs.
I'll bet we can even get him involved in the build, since he has built one before!

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
3/14/16 5:20 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I have a theme in mind. It's not gray.

But you love gray! Lol

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/14/16 5:34 p.m.

The win in this thread is off the chart. I wish I could go just to see this come together and lend a beer.

With some careful forethought and planning it could be epicly good as well.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/16 8:04 p.m.

i'm in for some help if we get there in time, i'll bring my welding helmet.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/16 8:21 p.m.

I see a few flaws in your plan:

Not adding a turbo.
Not adding nitrous.
Not adding nitrous and a turbo.
Not swapping in a Ford 9" rear end.
No whip antenna.
No horn that plays La Cuccaracha.
Not listing the car on Uber for the duration of the event.
Nothing from the plumbing aisle to be used.

Will you at least use duct tape to add a body like the BMW GINA concept?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/15/16 7:19 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I have a certain mental image of the hotel parking lot during the challenge, and it is a slightly disturbing one

Here is a googled photo of the Fiero parkinglot build of two years ago in the early stages. I know it is of the early stages because the sun is still out and the car has not been painted to grey yet.

This link should take you to a hotel aerial shot.
http://binged.it/22ih1EF

It is a nice hotel and the best choice in the area but the parking lot is a bit tricky to navigate due to so many tight spaces. If you are a Challenger pulling a trailer, it pretty much becomes a one-way, circular path to get around the building. The GRM gatherings mostly happen across the entire back of the building but even the back parkinglot is not large enough to hold all the tow rigs. If you look closely, there are grass islands about every 8 spaces so even then, a truck/trailer combo doesn't perfectly fit even going across the spaces.

This Fiero build happened just about across from the right, rear exit in the aerial photo.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/15/16 3:17 p.m.

I have been thinking about the logistics involved with starting with a crashed miata. It has the advantage of lower entry cost but if I am going to tag it so that I can drive it legally and or sell it I need to get it inspected first. That means I need to start with a not very damaged one and get it inspected before the challenge or buy one that already has a title.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/15/16 3:22 p.m.

This is the one I am hoping to win. 1997 with 187k, easily fixed to pass an inspection without spending any money.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/15/16 3:29 p.m.

Looks like '96 M edition. http://www.miata.net/faq/mfield.html

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/15/16 3:41 p.m.

I thought the same thing. It's listed as a 1997. I like that it has 15's and an LSD.

1997 m edition miatas are green.

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
3/15/16 10:30 p.m.

Hope you get that 97 Are you planning any suspension mods? Sway bars or coilovers? Or is it just weight reduction and stiffen with roll cage?

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uiqTeIXmj7VmAkpENaWeEb2Ablk0ASVf45vSUqHiVU7LbvRzJ3arub8IocYhC44l