1 2 3
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/25/15 7:19 p.m.

I love remote door locks. Will not own another car without them. Also, a shallow dash/windshield. The super deep intrusive dash and consoles (mazda3, im looking at you) just kill a car for me. Makes it feel like im driving from the back seat.

Killer ac is another. Ive been spoiled by ac that you can turn on high and hang meat when its over a hundred degrees outside.

carbon
carbon Dork
1/25/15 7:51 p.m.

LSD is at the top of the list for me.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/15 6:15 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Killer ac is another. Ive been spoiled by ac that you can turn on high and hang meat when its over a hundred degrees outside.

So have I. Unfortunately the new standard is "20-30 degrees cooler than outside" which isn't all that great when it is 105 degrees out.

Of all of the things I miss about my first car (an early 70s Ford) the freezer-like air conditioning is most of them. Granted, it used five pounds of R12 and the A/C system probably outmassed the entire drivetrain of my Volvo, but it kicked monumental amounts of ass.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/15 6:20 a.m.

Thing for thread that I never really appreciated until I bought a car without it: Good side bolstering on the seats. Not just for general hooliganism but driving comfort. Sitting a flat expanse of padding is pretty uncomfortable.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/26/15 7:53 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I don't get why OBD2 cars don't seem to have this ability.
You want to sit there and blink out a 5 digit code, four of which are hexadecimal? Screw that. And then you'd have to do it multiple times, to get current, history, pending, and failed since the last clear. It's a standard, and while the lowest common denominator of the standard isn't stellar, it's FREAKING AWESOME compared to the data or lack thereof that you could previously get. If you are only looking at codes, you're missing the point of OBD-II.

I'm not saying it isn't awesome. It is. But for just the code, it would be nice for the diagnostic to appear right on the dash and not require a special tool. And it doesn't have to blink... many many many OBD2 cars have some sort of text display/screen somewhere in the car. If it could just say "Coolant temp sensor out of range" to me, I'd be happy. If I want to do further diagnostics I'll plug in and have a look around.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/26/15 8:17 a.m.

the driver

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
1/26/15 11:59 p.m.

Auto window down AND up for both driver AND passenger side... I'm spoiled now and confused and frustrated when driving/riding in other cars that lack this.

And display of selected gear in dash for manual transmission car, especially with a tightly spaced 6-speed gearbox.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
1/27/15 3:09 a.m.

Typewriter drive and the mirror on a stalk on the dash like my '59 Dodge.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/27/15 6:55 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Thing for thread that I never really appreciated until I bought a car without it: Good side bolstering on the seats. Not just for general hooliganism but driving comfort. Sitting a flat expanse of padding is pretty uncomfortable.

Agreed. Nothing worse than a car with 1/3 of a bench instead of a bucket.
I appreciate steering wheel mounted cruise buttons on appliance cars. I can learn any system on a car I own, but I hate trying to figure out what sequence of things to push and pull and tap on a stalk hidden behind the wheel while travelling 70mph in a car I just sat down in. Clearly labeled buttons on the face of the wheel are brilliant.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/27/15 8:12 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Make that lighted buttons.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/27/15 10:40 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: And display of selected gear in dash for manual transmission car, especially with a tightly spaced 6-speed gearbox.

What? Really? Like, a three-pedal manual has a display on the dash?

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
1/28/15 1:16 a.m.
Mike wrote:
Vracer111 wrote: And display of selected gear in dash for manual transmission car, especially with a tightly spaced 6-speed gearbox.
What? Really? Like, a three-pedal manual has a display on the dash?

Yes, FR-S/BRZ have gear indication and programmable tachometer shift light/audible alert...

Gear indication is just a simple Engine RPM/vehicle speed ratio calculation except for Reverse which is based off the reverse light switch... any new car from the last few years could have this displayed.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/28/15 7:09 a.m.

Looks like I'm alone here but this is something you don't see much any more; vinyl seats, rubber floors, manual locking hubs, manual windows, manual transfer-case lever...

There's something about "low maintainance" that I find thrilling!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/28/15 7:23 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Looks like I'm alone here but this is something you don't see much any more; vinyl seats, rubber floors, manual locking hubs, manual windows, manual transfer-case lever... There's something about "low maintainance" that I find thrilling!

Not at all. See my post on page one. Ease of maintenance/low maintenance is very attractive to me.

11110000 Reader
1/28/15 1:42 p.m.

Being in my 'new-to-me' car for a few months now, I'm totally hooked on some new gadgets:

Adaptive cruise

Active headlights

Cooled seats

Totally authentic DOHC V8 soundtrack

I've already been completely won over by rain sensing wipers, heated seats and dual-zone auto climate control. I like the stuff that makes me comfortable and takes care of the distractions so I can focus on the driving.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/28/15 2:49 p.m.

Performance summer tires are also a top feature for cars recently. Good summer tires can make a car perform from well to excellent for relatively little money.

series8217
series8217 Reader
1/28/15 3:38 p.m.

Enough interior lighting to see the window controls and door locks.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
1/29/15 8:03 p.m.

My Vanagon Westfalia has a propane refrigerator that will keep the beer cold for 3 to 4 weeks on 2.5 gallons of propane. It has two twin beds, and seat belts for five. I can put two long boards, twp bicycles and an ice chest inside and lock the doors. It is nimble enough to U-Turn on a residential street, and quite suitable on Forrest Service roads and to and from BLM camp grounds.

A lot about it sucks, but it is difficult to match those attributes. I will say that the ice cube trays are really small, and it takes a long time for them to freeze. In the mean time, its easy to spill water from them while driving.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8dcVel2JQ4cmyOpnUh7XxO0vt7o2WF7zocxSXt2i5eH926YeHq5KbnlSGaIf37lK