thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/18 9:46 p.m.

Hi all. I keep reading about those cable-type hose clamp pliers and I think it's time that I acquire some. What's a good brand? Links would be rad.

wae
wae SuperDork
11/9/18 9:55 p.m.

I dropped the $40 for the one that AutoZone sells and it is life changing.

Life.

Changing.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/18 10:45 p.m.

I picked one up.in a bargain bin somewhere. It was $15 many years ago. It still works great.

I'm not sure this is the kind of tool you need to spend big money on unless you're pulling off a whole lot of hose clamps. They're pretty simple- like get one at Harbor Freight and put a bit of oil on the cable to ensure it doesn't bind simple.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/18 11:51 p.m.

That's great news all around. Sounds like I'll be happy with whatever.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/10/18 2:08 a.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/10/18 5:47 a.m.

The pair I have came in a set similar to this (my set doesn't include the screwdriver and hose-puller pick).  The other pliers look odd until you're working with some odd clamp and then they'll make sense.

And yes - definitely a life changer if you work on modern cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/10/18 11:21 a.m.

After you've stabbed, smashed and ripped skin off your body fighting those clamps, $40 is cheap. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/10/18 11:59 a.m.

I fear no hose clamp.

OTC brand for both my hose clamp pliers and my cable type hose clamp tool. 

(Yes, I take pictures of all my tools when I unbox them. Weird.)

underpowered
underpowered GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/10/18 6:06 p.m.

My favorite hose clamp pliers! 

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
11/12/18 11:30 a.m.

I got the Lisle cable type from Rock Auto when i was getting some other stuff.   Love'm so far.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/18 11:32 a.m.

I bought a set off Amazon for about $20. They seem to work fine. 

freetors
freetors Reader
11/12/18 12:00 p.m.

Honestly I just use a variety of the pliers I have laying around. I haven't found one yet that's defeated me. I just don't think they're a a big enough hassle to drop money on.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/12/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

That's what I thought, until I worked on a mid-engined car with those clamps way up in there. The cable pliers were a lifesaver for that.

wae
wae SuperDork
11/12/18 12:40 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

I was pulling a hose clamp off the power steering box on something - either the Merc or the Chevy, don't remember - and I was trying every pliers I own.  Finally, I decided to drive to AutoZone and buy the cable-operated tool.  It took me fewer minutes to drive to AZ, buy the tool, drive back to the workshop, and remove the clamp than I spent screwing around with pliers.

Life changing.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/18 4:42 p.m.

I picked this set up. I haven't had a chance to use them, but I expect it to be life changing. I'd imagine these don't necessarily qualify as "good" though in terms of quality, but the price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZYMNZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
11/12/18 5:54 p.m.

"Life Changing" is perhaps a bit too strong of a description, but I wouldn't want to work on any car built within the last three decades without a good selection of hose clamp tools. Just the money saved in not damaging the clamps alone will pay for the tools if you do much underhood work. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cKfJWqlUpx1I75QPdDQpLnzZcVELLInabmY3bhMXzEg9TbiPIBXy2cnkTYTMtOYF