1 2 3 4 ... 9
Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
12/27/08 8:48 a.m.

RB is a great engine, but it is really heavy likely more then the v8. Plus everything parts wise for any RB is stupid expensive.

I'd look into either the Rover v8 or the MZR with the cosworth stuff sounds good too. Or maybe a 20valve 4ag engine. Chris Rummel

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/27/08 9:40 a.m.

20V4AG is a great engine but isn't it sorta tough to squeeze more power out of one of those? Stoopid question, right?

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/27/08 10:11 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: A Spitfire or GT6 engine compartment is cramped in the lengthwise direction already and to fix the goofy stock Triumph Ackerman angles we will need to do a good bit of steering mods, meaning the steering rack has to come back and be shortened. BTDT with the Abomination. That means a V8 would have to be back so far there will be no place for the drivers' feet, or raise it up so high the valve covers would stick out of the hood, not exactly conducive to good CG placement. There's roughly 21" from the stock frame crossmember to the bottom of the bonnet. An inline 4 can be moved back further than a V8 and still have room for the drivers' feet. An inline 6 could be done as well, but now we run into the transmission's placement, it would involve massive frame modifications to keep the engine back far enough for good weight distribution. That's why the stock GT6 motor's 2 front cylinders are past the steering rack to begin with.

It's a tough squeeze, but it's been done many times with many different types of V8s. The SBC swaps I've seen do stick up quite a bit through the hood. The Rover V8s don't stick up much. A very slight hood bulge and you won't even tell that it's much different from stock (from the outside).

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/27/08 1:04 p.m.

SR20DET? It comes with all the power you want, the potential to make more, only problem I see is the drift tax.

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
12/27/08 3:23 p.m.

Maybe LS1 IS the answer to everything?

http://ls1gt6.com/index.html

We know a Turbo-Bird will fit: http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/MaxBrewster.htm

Cosworth V-8?

Carter Shore

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
12/28/08 6:28 a.m.

GM 3800 series v6?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/28/08 6:44 p.m.

I put a 2.0 Pinto in a '68 Spitfire, it was the first engine swap I did. It went like stink but was hard on rear diffs. Unfortunately, a lot of the aftermarket for that motor has dried up and in all honesty I could get more way oomph out of a NA Miata motor (which, BTW is under consideration as well). Stick a turbo on a Miata motor and we'd be flyin'.

Anybody else notice how much foot and legroom the LS1 GT6 has (or more accurately doesn't have)?

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/28/08 7:01 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: 20V4AG is a great engine but isn't it sorta tough to squeeze more power out of one of those? Stoopid question, right?

Well, is it tough? Theoretically, no, but to do so on a budget while based in the U.S. is going to be tough due to the lack of knowlegde/support/experience around these parts, the lack of parts suppliers, and the language/money/shipping difficulty of going overseas for parts. If you want more than stock or light-tune power levels, the 16-valve 4A-G is almost a better bet. Due to engine management, not ultra cheap once you start talking more than 100hp/liter N/A, but certainly possible.

In other markets, Toyota offered the 1G-GE, 1G-GTE, 1G-GZE in the 80's/90's and more recently the 1G-FE as a small straight six, and I've always thought it would be fun to pick one up from engine importer and drop it into something. They came in the models we see here with 3-liter sixes as an option (Supra, Cressida, Lexus SC, Lexus IS) for countries where cars over 2-liters are taxed more. If my understanding is correct, much of the architecture is similar to the 4A-G, so they are sorta like a small-bore, short-stroke 4A-G with a couple extra cylinders. Later versions were offered with twin turbos and a supercharger variant. Power outputs varied from 135-210hp in the different stock forms. :)

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/28/08 7:06 p.m.

I like the Idea of an Audi/Volkswagen W-8

short, light, should fit....only problem is transmission?

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
12/28/08 8:44 p.m.

323 GTX AWD drivetrain....GTX/6.

Nah...other that a 13B, I'd say go Miata.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/28/08 8:45 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Anybody else notice how much foot and legroom the LS1 GT6 has (or more accurately doesn't have)?

Real men push the pedals with their knees

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
12/28/08 8:56 p.m.

Yah, Just use hand controls on the LS-1, or maybe mount the pedals directly to the block ;)

A 60 degree v-6 makes sense from a packaging standpoint. Short enough to fit without front overhang or cabin intrusion, higher banks should make it easier to fit headers between the front suspension towers.

I always wanted to do a SR20DET, buy motor + RWD trans ex-Japan (SIivia?).

No matter what you do though, gotta replace the spun glass diff and axles.

(Turbo Offy anyone?)

Carter

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/08 9:17 p.m.

The GT6 needs a killer straight-6 powerplant, which means BMW or Jeep 4.0. So BMW then.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/29/08 1:15 a.m.

Anyone else note the irony of a BMW engine powering a British car that is basically a Spitfire?

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/29/08 1:19 a.m.

What about all those I6s from Japan? The old Datsun Z-series, Supra etc...

Could stick in a TVR Speed Six if you have the cash and could get one.

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
12/29/08 10:34 a.m.

Would a Subie flat 4 fit between the suspension towers and the bulkhead?

If not, maybe fab a tubular subframe to replace the towers, and make room for it?

Carter

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/08 2:09 p.m.

Rotary b!tch. Then, like the rotards will tell you, it will have the soul of an RX-7 but with a decent steering rack.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
12/29/08 2:17 p.m.

5mge from a 2nd gen supra or a 7mgte from a 3rd gen supra. or how about an m20 from a e30 bmw.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/29/08 2:47 p.m.

Hmmm... maybe a Bimmer M44 with a Downing/Atlanta supercharger, or a MeOtter motor with some sort of belt drive whiner.

I swear Miata seems to be the answer to EVERYTHING.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/08 3:17 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: Anyone else note the irony of a BMW engine powering a British car that is basically a Spitfire?

For extra Irony, BMW own's the rights to the Triump marque.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
12/29/08 5:05 p.m.

More Irony, the very first prototypes of the Bf 109's used Merlin engines.....off topic but oh well.

How about the engine that comes in the JDM Altessa's I think it is a 3SGE??? makes 200hp with vvti in N/A form 2 liter 4 banger. Chris

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/30/08 8:21 a.m.

Personally, I'd go with a Rover V8 or a rotory, since they can be (and have been) installed relatively cleanly... the OE I6 barely fits under the GT6 bonnet (I have one...)... even the I6 from the TR doesn't fit as well (carbs interfere). Anything else would just be an abomination... which has been done as well...

http://www.carcentric.com/GT8.htm (unfortunately, this is all the info I've seen so far)

Another posible idea is a GM V6... Tegler has one on a stand right now (w/ a T5) and can't seem to decide if he wants to put it in his MGB GT or his GT6...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/30/08 9:14 a.m.

Yup, understand the Abomination thing very well. The TR6 lump will drop in if the GT6 intake manifold is used but it's pretty restrictive.

Lots of good suggestions here!

BAMF
BAMF New Reader
1/5/09 10:40 p.m.

VW 1.8T or VR6 backed with a Toyota 22R?

http://www.acmeadapters.com/faq.php

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
1/6/09 9:58 a.m.

I've seen of one guy that moved the GT6 engine back so that it mounted on the front plate like a Spitfire. Of course the firewall has to be cut and such. It really helped the handling due to improved weight distribution.

There is a website something about British cars and v8s. Check it out because they have a lot of other engine swaps.

I've always had the hots to put the little Daimler V8 in a Spitfire or something similar. But were would you find one?

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eEfpAqEr4GTNzJwqjwo1kmhIlHfACLoYHdRA8ZSXpI3hOyUADdmQpOKRz0C8q1MM