BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/19 10:00 a.m.

The 911 has a few screws loose and more importantly, missing. Hey, who just said "much like its owner"?

Anyway, I'm looking for a good quality assortment of metric bolts/nuts/washers, ideally stainless steel but zinc plated should work fine, too. I know about McMaster-Carr and have almost recovered from looking at their prices . Basically, I want something better than the finest chinesium sold on Amazon and at the Hammer Store, but ideally at a slightly lower price point than McMaster-Carr. The Fastenal assortments only appear to have a handful of fasteners in them.

Any recommendations?

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/10/19 10:30 a.m.

Fastenal. 

Do you have a local branch? 

Of all our local fastener stores (5 or 6 of them) Fastenal isn't the cheapest but the quality of their metric fasteners are better. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/10/19 10:44 a.m.

Got a rural king nearby? Hardware, color coded by grade, priced by the pound.

BoxheadTim
8/10/19 11:15 a.m.

Nearest Rural King seems to be a good 2+ hour roundtrip. The local Fastenal tends to be open during hours when I'm working and is unfortunately too far away for a sneaky lunchtime trip.

Looks like Fastenal is the winner so far if I can get the stuff shipped to me and the prices they quote as "wholesale" are available to mere civilians like me.

Don49
Don49 Dork
8/10/19 12:18 p.m.

Totally Stainless.com. Their address is Aspers, Pa. All they do is stainless hardware.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/10/19 12:26 p.m.
Don49 said:

Totally Stainless.com. Their address is Aspers, Pa. All they do is stainless hardware.

Can Stainless provide the required strength? Or is it just something less prone to rust?  

BoxheadTim
8/10/19 5:06 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

For the stuff I’m looking for, yes. The other bolts that are critical and might need replacing are going to be replaced with OEM or OEM equivalent. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
8/10/19 5:25 p.m.

Try sarjo.com.  their retail store is a candy store for fastner nerds

sergio
sergio Reader
8/10/19 5:54 p.m.

Tractor Supply?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/10/19 6:30 p.m.

Ace hardware will surprise you.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/10/19 9:39 p.m.

Local: Ace Hardware or a good independent fastener store (Fastenal and their insane prices can suck it).

Online: boltdepot.com

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
8/10/19 10:18 p.m.

There is a Supply Hardware store in West Sacramento that stocks a big assortment of stainless fasteners, I think it is a True Value chain or a ACE maybe,

or just an independent.   

I took  your question to be where can a buy a premade selection in a box.   Not sure where to find them, I could really use some, I noticed Harbor Fright has some, but chineesium for sure.

"This is my go to hardware store.  One of the biggest fastener selections I've ever seen. Even chrome and black chrome fasteners. I love this place and have for years"

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 3:43 a.m.

My Ace also has a large selection of stainless metric hardware.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/19 4:20 a.m.
iceracer said:

Ace hardware will surprise you.

Agreed.  But depends on the owner somewhat.  I think they are franchises.  My local True Value stocks an enormous selection of fasteners.  I’ve seen others with considerably less.

BoxheadTim
8/11/19 8:18 a.m.

The Ace Hardwares I've visited always seem to have a good selection of lose fasteners, but not assortments. Most of what little wrenching I get to do at the moment happens at off hours (at least at hours when a normal shop isn't open), so I'm hoping to get an assortment or two so I have the basics at hand, both for my bikes and my cars.

There is a Tractor Supply in town so I might check them out. Does anybody know if the quality of their fasteners is better than what I can get at the Hammer Store?

BoxheadTim
8/11/19 8:23 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Local: Ace Hardware or a good independent fastener store (Fastenal and their insane prices can suck it).

Online: boltdepot.com

Thanks JG, boltdepot.com appears to have exactly the type of fastener assortments I'm after.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/19 2:24 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

As far as strength I can't comment but I used a bunch of TS stainless nuts and bolts on an outdoor play set we got second hand about 8 years ago.  A guy form my office came and got it about a month ago and all the fasteners were still shiny and came apart without any issues.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/11/19 2:45 p.m.

Stainless won't rust, but they sure can gall up.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/11/19 3:55 p.m.

Metric?!?!?!

How about France, ya gatt-dang camminist!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eHTdbnuYNVOvF9leXfxVjdCVHzNuZRYbdqLEjpuD2oeHqzTxyjCypX0sBA33ipQf