Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
2/20/15 2:00 p.m.
feature_image

Well, it's about that time. Every pre-production car has a defined lifespan and our project Beetle TDI has run its course. We've autocrossed it, driven it on track, and most importantly, used it as daily transportation for most of the time we've had it.

This TDI Beetle wasn't the most powerful car we've driven, but it's surpassed what …

Read the rest of the story

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/20/15 2:25 p.m.

We should also note, that although VAG products get a bad rap, our's didn't spend any time in the shop for unscheduled service. It had one window switch that was a little wonky, but besides that, it worked as it should.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 2:44 p.m.

Would crushing the one VW that eludes a tow truck be considered irony?

evildky
evildky Dork
2/20/15 2:57 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: We should also note, that although VAG products get a bad rap..........

Judgment free zone.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/15 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

it wasn't getting crushed, dealer tags, it was going back home (aka to a certified preowned dealer lot)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/20/15 3:55 p.m.

^^^ I'm pretty sure what you saw were manufacturer tags--- at least that's whats on there now. Unfortunately I believe our trusty VW is indeed headed for death by crusher. That's up to VW corporate though....not us.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 4:24 p.m.

To bad it does not look to be in bad shape

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/20/15 6:51 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: We should also note, that although VAG products get a bad rap, our's didn't spend any time in the shop for unscheduled service. It had one window switch that was a little wonky, but besides that, it worked as it should.

The funny thing is, if I see a car with one headlight out more often than not it's a VW. Of course this isn't a scientific study, just a casual observation.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
2/20/15 10:20 p.m.
Wally wrote: Would crushing the one VW that eludes a tow truck be considered irony?

They can't let it get out and infect the rest of the herd.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
2/23/15 12:34 p.m.

Keeping up with Miatas is damning with faint praise; whoever calls that "surpassing expectations" has the hyperbole knob tweaked. Shame this car has done nothing noteworthy. There's so much noise among fanatics about how you can get ridiculous torque out of these engines with an injector swap and tune. This car is a missed opportunity for a hardcore sports car publication.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 12:40 p.m.

If nothing else it should have have a 10 inch exhaust stack out the hood and an excessively rich tune like a Caddy I see near my wife's work.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/1/16 4:09 p.m.

Rather Sadly, methinks it will have a few hundred thousand TDI's joining it in its new home in automotive agony...agree that a serious tune might have been an interesting option for this car...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmVyUDrxP28KShqtqbMIafCg5v8IuzpSPz05wmE37sQ56aTOgwU8gxWBYABGgGBD