1 2 3
Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/18/17 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Don49 :

The fuel filler neck can probably come out for easy access also. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/18/17 5:37 p.m.

Your wife needs to take care of this.  I think she should be grounded from driving until she "remembers" what she hit.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/18/17 5:50 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

Your wife needs to take care of this.  I think she should be grounded from driving until she "remembers" what she hit.

I'll let you tell her that. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/18/17 6:15 p.m.
Bobzilla said:

I can, but she won't. I've been pushing for her to stop the more dangerous stuff like pulling off the interstate and running across 2 lanes to pick up a muffler.... at rush hour. She justifies those actions with "its free money!" I keep trying to beat into her thick skull that its not going to help me when you get splattered all over 865 one night/morning. Just last week there was a state trooper that was injured on a traffic stop because someone playing with their phone drifted over and slammed his patrol car (with all the lights in the world flashing) at 65mph. If that can happen to a lit up patrol car, it's definitely possible that it can happen to her with a turn signal on (she doesn't even use her flashers.)

Show her this story about a policeman here in MN who was hit and killed just last week while he was removing debris from the road.

http://www.startribune.com/highway-12-closed-after-officer-reportedly-hit/443275183/#1

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/18/17 6:26 p.m.

BobZ, are you the least bit body repair savy ? Don49 is on top of it.....er well partly , this incident will justify you buying the welded stud body panel puller thingy and putting Sugga to werk  wink  I actually happen to have  one of those guns in the garage attic (where they all should be right?), but I'm a little far away for the 'hand off' .......Fix it yourself and save $$$$$ plus we get to see how good you...er  boff uv ya's are. 

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
9/18/17 7:05 p.m.

Its an 11 year old working truck, it's not really worth it to fix it right. At most I'd pull the dents the best you can, fill in the remainder, hit it with a duplicolor rattle can, buff to blend the paint, good enough. Don't you live in road salt territory anyways? Rust will make it a whole lot uglier than that in a few more years. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/18/17 7:50 p.m.

Body work is the farthest from my abilities as it can get. This truck is really nice still and we've done our damndest to keep the rust at bay. It really is the perfect vehicle for our needs. What's worse is there's nothing new or nearly new that either of us would even be willing to spend money on. It's easy on gas, it drives like a car, it's stupid comfortable and it can still tow 6500+lbs. 

this is really one of those bifl things. To the point we'd rather have to replace the entire truck piece by piece over being forced to buying a new one. Cue Johnny Cash. She's dumping the load weds and third I'll take it to a shop I trust and get an honest estimate or three. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/18/17 7:56 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo :

One would think so but with something around our mileage and the correct trim they are still selling at $12-14k. 

Even KBB is listing trade in for "good" in the $8-10k range and private party at $12k. We paid $24k in 2006. I'd say it's held it's value. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/19/17 4:52 p.m.

she finally came clean about it last night. It was a truck. A C30, bright yellow flatbed truck. She got close, it popped the mirror in and rather than stop, put the mirror back so she could see where she was going/doing, she just kept going. Argh...... we had a nice long talk about this topic and others related to it last night. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/17 5:18 p.m.

Those "talks" are not fun but needed.  

So she is fixing the truck and you now get the trans?  cheeky

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/19/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Thursday I'm taking it down for an estimate. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/19/17 5:57 p.m.
Bobzilla said:

she finally came clean about it last night. It was a truck. A C30, bright yellow flatbed truck. She got close, it popped the mirror in and rather than stop, put the mirror back so she could see where she was going/doing, she just kept going. Argh...... we had a nice long talk about this topic and others related to it last night. 

Told you so!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/19/17 8:10 p.m.
Bobzilla said:

She's been trying to tell me how great her picking up all this "free" scrap metal is and how she's "making free money". Except for the 2 flat tires when driving over crap to get the crap, the deductibles when she was running across the highway and fell into the median and tweaked her ankle and wrist and now this. She's made $200 this year on this stuff. So far, it's cost us $300. 

TNSTAAFL
?

I've had an irritating time explaining this concept to various retail checkout clerks about "signing up for their free rewards program"  surprise

Hopefully you have an easier time?  Good luck with the truck (I'm bummed for you)

boileralum
boileralum GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/20/17 9:09 a.m.
Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/17 9:39 a.m.

In reply to boileralum :

what the hell is this E36 M3?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/20/17 9:53 a.m.

Semi intelligent Canoe infiltration? I mean that would cover up one bit of ugliness with some new ugliness.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/20/17 10:03 a.m.

LMAO! That'll do it. 

I hope it's not a canoe.

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/20/17 10:29 a.m.

If that's a canoe that's the funniest damn canoe I have seen in awhile. Perfect placement in the thread.

I think you should buy it just so she has to drive with it on there!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/17 11:07 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

the problem with that is I'll be the one driving it the most. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/17 11:37 a.m.

Just put a sticker on it that said Chuck Norris Peed here with an arrow pointing to the crease.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/22/17 7:19 a.m.

Getting the estimate this morning. Estimator thought it will need a bedside too. When you compare side to side the front by the filler is pushed in deep. It'd need 10 lbs ( yes an exaggeration) of bondo to fill it in to look right. Since we plan on another 10 years out of it that just doesn't seem like the right fix. 

We'll see what the estimate really comes in at but my guess is $3300

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/17 3:24 p.m.

Estimate is in..... $3300. ~39 hours of labor (paint and body work). But with that they are doing a couple touch ups and a small rust repair on the left front door inside.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
9/26/17 3:43 p.m.

Might be cheaper or at least the same $$ to just replace whole bed and respray it. 

Or just run what you have until you find a good bed in the same color. 

Try carpart ( The online junkyard parts locator )

dean1484
9/26/17 3:44 p.m.

I was not far off at my estimate of $3500

dean1484
9/26/17 3:46 p.m.

WWW.CAR-PART.COM is your new friend shop carefully and be willing to wait it out for the correct color door and bed and bolt them on.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GW0yTbNVGJw6WikuHikhlQBuPxGOEIOqP65Li0SAThT6w97XgQu9WfFmzuM3aRQ9