dustinh
dustinh New Reader
1/6/20 4:17 p.m.

Bought a 2020 Sti to be my new DD/weekend warrior. I've been autocrossing for about 2 seasons now and decided this year I'd commit to at least 2 track sessions. I had been running the Bridgestone RE71R's on my last car for autocross. I'm looking for a tire that will be a good mix for DD/Autocross/Track events. I know that's a tall order and being good in one area usually means sacrificing in another so, the order of importance for me is:

(1= don't care, 10=highly important)

Grip: 9/10

Longevity: 5/10

Comfort: 3/10

Someone recommended the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires to me and they come in a size I can run on my car (265/35/19). I'm mostly curious what people's opinions are of this tire for autocrossing specifically since that is still what I'll be doing the majority of this year (outside of daily driving). Probably between 10-13 autocross events, at least 2 track events and daily driving. Opinions?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/20 5:24 p.m.

Based upon what you're asking and your criteria, stick to stones. they flip well and have the grip you're looking for.

you can overheat them on track if you overdrive them, but they're going to have the grip you want.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/6/20 9:54 p.m.

They are the stock tire on my Cayman, and they did pretty well on the track.  Probably 3 seconds off RE-71's and a second or 2 off of RS4's.  Durability is pretty good though.

Based on your criteria, I think the RS4 is a better tire.  Not great in the rain though. 

spacecadet
1/6/20 10:33 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove :

the only reason I didn't suggest the RS4 was the heat it needs to work for autox..

dustinh
dustinh New Reader
1/6/20 11:41 p.m.

Yeh the heat is a big question for me on the Supercar tires as well. I'm wondering if those will heat up enough to do well in autocross. Have heard loads of good things about the RS3 and RS4 for track but also knew they aren't recommended for autocross because of the heat issue, otherwise I would opt for that. Rain, meh :P

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/20 6:57 a.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

They are the stock tire on my Cayman, and they did pretty well on the track.  Probably 3 seconds off RE-71's and a second or 2 off of RS4's.  Durability is pretty good though.

Based on your criteria, I think the RS4 is a better tire.  Not great in the rain though. 

The Supercar 3 is not the OE tire on anything but the current generation Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1 (not 1LE). The SC3 (and 3R - the ZL1 1LE tire) was developed for the Camaro, and then Goodyear extended the line to more sizes to provide the same performance.

I've seen data and event results showing the SC3 is right there with the other hot 200 treadwear tires for autocross, and seems to have better wear for track usage. Look out for this tire at One Lap of America this year now that more sizes are available.

dps214
dps214 Reader
1/7/20 8:59 a.m.

I've seen mixed results on performance but it seems like they're at least better than the "second tier" 200TW tires, potentially in line with the premier tires. For your use i'd definitely give them a try. Might not be perfect but I don't think you'd be disappointed.

dustinh
dustinh New Reader
1/7/20 9:49 a.m.

thanks all! I think I will give them a try since I'm wanting something with a little more life than the RE's and if I end up not liking them I just have to wait until I wear them out for a new set :)

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
1/7/20 10:49 a.m.

The SC3 compound is more strongly suited for the track (road course / "circuit") environment over autocross, in that the tire likes tire temps 160-180F, unlike tires that are more focused for an autocross environment at 120-140F. If you can keep or get the SC3 hot enough, it's "OK".

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/7/20 12:35 p.m.
collinskl1 said:
ShinnyGroove said:

The Supercar 3 is not the OE tire on anything but the current generation Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1 (not 1LE). The SC3 (and 3R - the ZL1 1LE tire) was developed for the Camaro, and then Goodyear extended the line to more sizes to provide the same performance.

I've seen data and event results showing the SC3 is right there with the other hot 200 treadwear tires for autocross, and seems to have better wear for track usage. Look out for this tire at One Lap of America this year now that more sizes are available.

My mistake, the OE tires on my Cayman are the Eagle F1 Asymmetric, not the Supercars.  Carry on...

dustinh
dustinh New Reader
1/7/20 12:59 p.m.

The good thing about where I autocross is during the summer the temps easily crest 100 degrees and I also often co-drive my car with friends, so the tires get a bit hotter than single car driving. Hopefully that will be enough to get the supercars up to the range they like.

spacecadet
1/7/20 7:29 p.m.
collinskl1 said:

for heat reasons listed above. sub 300tw tires will usually play second fiddle to the 300+ tw options on OLOA. The ECS and PS4S offer so few drawbacks in the dry and offer a huge advantage when things get wet. 

One wet day can basically ruin any speed advantage of the sub 300tw tires. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pE6G7cdB9jNnaZ6YZ4CvbaT4zQA66kxvtOXOIMSiUt3zPzdus56Elov1PAKMjPwn