oldtin SuperDork
1/6/12 6:13 p.m.

1uzfe & w56 in a beige camry
k20a3 in a fiat x 1/9

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
1/6/12 6:14 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

One of the mopar mags(can't recall which) got about 300hp out of a 225 without any boost. Seems to me that's the engine you want in one of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4QKHtP63Bs

After watching this vid of a race built 273 V8 spin all the way up to 7500 rpm and make a corrected 450hp, I want to drop that into a small british track whore and have fun.

I also wanted to take a 3.0 turbo motor from a VR4 and stick it behind the drivers seat of an old Mirage hatchback. + With one pretty spinny thing and MOAR box flares.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/6/12 6:16 p.m.

I have an idea of mating a late model Honda GoldWing engine/trans with a mid eighties Mazda B series pickup. The engine would be mid mounted under the cab. Add a pair of magic snails for extra fun. I also think that this could possibly be built for challenge money if the planets were in proper alignment.

I chose the Mazda B series because I think its the lightest of the mini trucks, any 2wd mini truck would probably fit this formula

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
1/6/12 6:18 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I also always wanted to make a reliable british car, like put a Toyota drivetrain in a Spitfire.

Guy in Portland has rewired his E-Type and now runs Toyota electrics... nothing wrong with the chain drive XK engine, once you remove the Lucas electrics from it

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/6/12 6:23 p.m.

A naturally aspirated 2JZ in a C4 corvette.

A turbo LS1 in a Mk4 Supra.

They have to be parked in the same garage...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 6:24 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: +

Only if it were one of the aluminum blocks.

Wouldn't be the first time a \6 was in a Lotus:

http://www.lotuseleven.org/open_exhaust.htm

http://www.valiant.org/lotus.html

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/6/12 6:27 p.m.

I do believe a 7.3 Powerstroke into a 63 Lincoln Continental, with a big ol huffer... would make me happy. Or a Duramax into a Miata (for some reason, chevy motors make more sense in Miatas to me.) OR- a 6g72tt head swap into an SOHC 6g72 parked under a caravan.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
1/6/12 6:29 p.m.

1: Get an 80's Suzuki Forsa or Nissan Micra (two of the lightest 80's hatches to reach the continent). Remove engine. Get a KL-DE, strap a turbo or two on, and shove it in the back. Add Box flares. You now have, a Japanese rendition of a Metro 6R4/Renault R5 Turbo hybrid.

2: Jag XJ6 or something of the sort with a 7M-GTE. And get rid of anything Lucas.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/6/12 6:33 p.m.

I want to put an older Dodge Cummins Diesel in my grandpas old IH 1300C Dualle with the six speen manual.

Not crazy, but I want to do it.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 6:36 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: A complete Miata (including the floor pan) drive train into some 50s or 60s British sedan, like a Hillman, or whatever. A Duromax into a '66 Cadillac four door hardtop. Or, some sort of twin cam, straight six into an extended Miata to create a modern equivalent to the big Healeys.

How about a Morris Minor? It's been done a couple of times. These guys used to have a page detailing some very interesting engineering to make this car fit together.

Or, another underway right now.

My previous 1966 Cadillac four door hardtop almost went to a friend who wanted to put a Caterpillar diesel into it.

The goofiest engine swap I ever thought of was an LS1 in an MGB GT.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
1/6/12 6:44 p.m.

^ Do that to an Opel GT. Miata chassis & powertrain + GT style = Of course it would take some awesome boxflares to fit. Also boost it w/either turbo or supercharger.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 6:47 p.m.

Funny you should mention that, this is the FM shop...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/6/12 6:57 p.m.

Someone here, I think it may have been Javelin, was working out a concoction that would mate a T5 gearbox with an AWD transfer case for on road use. Since most of the worlds great engines can be fitted to the T5 I think its time for a Jag V12 AWD XJS. Especially now that we've all been schooled by Mguar on the full GRM awesomeness of the Jag V12.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 6:59 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: 20B turbo Rotary in a Foxbody Mustang. My buddy actually thought of this. It would be pointless, but ridiculously cool at the same time.
I've wanted to do this as well, but with a sacrosanct 'Murrican musclecar like a 'Cuda, split-window Corvette, or '69 Camaro. Why?

How about a rotary Nova?

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=727207

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuN-sJPJFOA&feature=related

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/6/12 7:00 p.m.

Ok that's not really a crazy engine swap, its a crazy drive line swap. My bad, sorry.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
1/6/12 7:02 p.m.

I'm still trying to figure out the reason for doing it.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
1/6/12 7:10 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

NOICE! I wanna go whole hog with the 20B, but a 13B-RE-powered Nova is acceptable. Us rotards need our revenge for all the V-8 swaps into RX-7/8s, you know (NTTAWWT). I'm browsing through his videos and I'm loving the haterade in the comments.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
1/6/12 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Keith:
So why is the roof missing? If you guys are building an open Opel, then you ought to graft the Opel roof on a Miata !

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
1/6/12 7:19 p.m.

I was making good progress with my therapist until this thread came along.

LS1 in the backseat of a beetle would just about do it.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
1/6/12 7:23 p.m.

sr20ve in the trunk of a mk2 gti

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/6/12 7:58 p.m.

I keep coming back to doing a 1UZ swap in the Jensenator. The 13B rotary just isn't unusual enough for me. Enough prodding and y'all might see some 13B stuff in the Classifieds. But not until I get another house, dammit, so don't be PMing me yet!!

SVX flat 6 with Porsche 915 transaxle in a 914. Can you say 'liquid cooled 916'? Add a hairdryer for that extra dose of nastiness.

For some reason, I'd like to do a mid motor del Sol just to screw with the fanboi's heads.

The Trooper would be nice with a LS3 swap. I'd keep it 4x4, quiet and real stock looking.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
1/6/12 8:02 p.m.

2jzgte or 7mgte into a Previa. Forget about tilting the engine on its side. Remove the middle seat, enlarge the hole so the engine can stay upright. Other dirty thoughts are... 5.0, LSx, BMW or Jag V12 into said Previa.

Same engines into Volvo 245

Same engines behind a S10 truck. Cut a whole on the bed, mate the engine to a rear transaxle, top it off with a tonneau cover...boom! done.

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/6/12 8:08 p.m.

An engine like this....

In something like this...

Also.... I've been thinking about one of ford's new twin turbo ecoboost V-6 into my turbo brick....

+

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/6/12 8:09 p.m.
  • GM 60* 3.5 V6 + Snail(s) + corolla wagon . . .
  • BMW V12 + Snails + Volvo 780
DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
1/6/12 8:17 p.m.

This

minus this

plus this

and two really big ground effects tunnels like these, on either side of the now narrow motor

equals an infinite quantity of purist infuriating awesomeness.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c8b8FyxFf9awWjozzA9XuTthIsJXms0u8u17MBWhJfJu9zPLPXCSp6SKCCp91Zmb