1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
1/6/12 8:17 p.m.

I was also thinking about a Cummins engine into a C body Chrysler, but apparently the 6bt is way too heavy at something like 400 pounds more than a 440 fully dressed.

Could make do with a freshened up 4bt I guess.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
1/6/12 8:24 p.m.

2000 or so taurus with a 90s tbird drivetrain. Focus Zx3 with an air cooled VW style transaxle with a Zetec mounted midship rear wheel drive. Another vote for a big old caddy with a big turbo diesel. A sad looking pinto with a rwd zetec with a turbo.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
1/6/12 8:29 p.m.

I am in the process of swapping a SBC, TH350 and narrowed 10-bolt into this:

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/12 8:46 p.m.

First thing that popped into my mind.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/6/12 8:53 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I am in the process of swapping a SBC, TH350 and narrowed 10-bolt into this:

Why haven't I heard about this yet?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/6/12 9:02 p.m.

Why can't I just have a Turbo Firefly?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
1/6/12 9:07 p.m.

'Cuz they never sold them in the US, only in the Great Up North. The Chevy Sprint Turbo is the exact same car minus badging, but good luck finding one of those anywhere except compressed into a cube at the scrapyard.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/12 9:08 p.m.

Actually, this:

I loved the early (for the US) Freelander SE3. A few months ago, I noticed about a third of the early Freelanders needed engines. I asked here, and learned that the cylinder linings like to walk and ruin the engine. Further, Land Rover sold the tooling to China, where one would now go to buy a replacement engine that, rather than being fixed to avoid the issue, is now possessed of the same problems, but lacking the build quality and precision put into the original part. They're all time bombs, and the fix is spending more than the value of the truck to buy a bigger time bomb.

Most of my drives are between one and five miles in a stop-and-go 25mph grid system.

I'd like an electric-swapped Freelander SE3. I was thinking about this last week.

I would not want to try to integrate an electric drivetrain into the computerized traction control/awd system.

Like this, roughly: http://www.4x4offroads.com/electric-land-rover-freelander.html

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
1/6/12 9:42 p.m.

Liter+ bike engine with a snail or two grafted to a Justy drive train, in a, well you guessed it, a Justy.

B5234T or a B6294T in a A/C Cobra kit, I mean Ford had Volvo at one point so I could justifiably still royally piss off all the water heads that think a Cobra kit is sacred. Hell, if I had the FU money to blow I'd do it to a real one just because

I've got a bunch more, that are mostly various AWD drive trains of yore into various little cars.

My "farm truck" will be a Comanche with a OM617 and the 6 speed/Transfer Case/Axles from a Rubicon TJ. Obligatory lift/sheet metal trimming to fit 37"ish meats, and enough lights, onboard air, and power to run my own mobile fab shop.

• Lee
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 10:28 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: B5234T or a B6294T in a A/C Cobra kit, I mean Ford had Volvo at one point so I could justifiably still royally piss off all the water heads that think a Cobra kit is sacred. Hell, if I had the FU money to blow I'd do it to a real one just because - Lee

I had a similar thought with a 2.5L SOHC turbo from a Chrysler FWD turbo car and a Factory Shelby Turbo valve cover.

berkeley purists. Shut up and drive the car.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
1/6/12 10:56 p.m.

I just thought of another: You are all probably familiar with the Juke-R, an unofficial Nissan UK project that stuffed a GT-R's engine and drivetrain into a Juke. I'd like to do something similar- Stick the Juke's 1.6T/AWD drivetrain into a Versa or Sentra (along with a manual to replace the CVT, of course). The Juke's drivetrain has received a lot of praise from the glossies. The SE-R has fallen a long way from its B13 origins, and the old Versa-based Nissan Sport Compact concept was pretty hot-looking.

No wonder why Nissan didn't do it: It makes too much sense!

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/6/12 11:11 p.m.

Wow, I really like that.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
1/6/12 11:16 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Why haven't I heard about this yet?

I haven't published any photos yet - it's supposed to be my Challenge car, but I don't think I'll make the budget. Full framed, caged, working out the front suspension at the moment. The engine fits fine, even under the hood. Well, hood and dashboard.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/6/12 11:25 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote:
Taiden wrote: Why haven't I heard about this yet?
I haven't published any photos yet - it's supposed to be my Challenge car, but I don't think I'll make the budget. Full framed, caged, working out the front suspension at the moment. The engine fits fine, even under the hood. Well, hood and dashboard.

I look forward to you doing a thread on it, whenever that may be.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/6/12 11:51 p.m.

I haz mad ideaz about dis

into one of these

Rat Rodded

calteg
calteg Reader
1/7/12 12:03 a.m.

12v cummins into a Landcruiser/4runner/rat rod

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/7/12 12:52 a.m.

1960s/70s Land Rover + Isuzu Amigo frame & axles + Trooper 3.5 V6 =

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
1/7/12 5:40 a.m.

In the '60s, Turbonique offered a series of jet-turbine conversions for all sorts of cars. Their "Widowmaker" VW bug had a surplus military jet turbine mated to a VW trans axle. They sold a kit for this set up. The powerplant made 850 HP and weighed just 100 lbs. But it burned about 10 gallons (of kerosene) a minute.
They also sold a jet-turbine go kart kit that would reach 160 mph in 4 seconds.

Excellent Info on Turbonique

Vintage Video (about 45 seconds)

Black Widow and powerplant.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/7/12 8:48 a.m.

850 HP through a Bug transaxle? Can you say 'grenade with pin pulled'? It would need one helluva scattershield before I'd climb in there. But it's bound to be safer than this:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/05/jet-powered-bic/

And we thought we had weird swap ideas.

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
1/7/12 8:52 a.m.

A Chinese air cooled 250cc motorcycle engine into a home brewed cycle kart on steroids. Instead of cars from the 20s and 30s this car would be any mid-engined formula car. Although a JPS Lotus is appealing, mine would probably be an early 90s tribute to a Mclaren F1 car with the white/orange and black paint. The tub would still be out of plywood but the power would be tripple the original 6.5 honda, both F&R would have a suspension and brakes. It would have a 5sp. trans. and clutch. The guys that originated the cycle karts looked like they were having so much fun with them.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/7/12 8:57 a.m.

I sometimes wonder why SCCA doesn't try to start a low buck bike powered car class. It would be sort of like Formula Ford: use a cheap sealed spec motor like one of the Chinese clones Graefin mentioned in a roll cage equipped go kart type frame with a spec body. I would think it would be a step up from shifter karts and a nice way to get more people involved in racing.

Nahhh, too simple.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 8:58 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: In reply to Keith: So why is the roof missing? If you guys are building an open Opel, then you ought to graft the Opel roof on a Miata !

Because a tree fell on it and the po took it off with a hacksaw. This car is beyond saving, it's the test mule for the good one.

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
1/7/12 9:03 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I sometimes wonder why SCCA doesn't try to start a low buck bike powered car class. It would be sort of like Formula Ford: use a cheap sealed spec motor like one of the Chinese clones Graefin mentioned in a roll cage equipped go kart type frame with a spec body. I would think it would be a step up from shifter karts and a nice way to get more people involved in racing. Nahhh, too simple.

I've been spending a lot of time lately doing on-line research about the feasability of my idea above and the same thing that you suggested has been running on a seperate track in my mind. With the cost of racing any of the SCCA classes quickly rising out of reach of all but a very few they need a class or classes like that. All of us don't need to run over 200mph to have fun.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
1/7/12 9:14 a.m.

In reply to aeronca65t: Turbonique fuel (Thermoline) is ummm .... exotic

Thermolene:

It was not more nor less dangerous, flammable and prone to evaporation than gasoline. It could be stored in jerrycans, in the shadow. It had, nonetheless, some peculiar side effects: it was irritating to the skin, it would melt most plastics, rubbers, etc. and it would react under certain circumstances if in contact with some metals, like mild steel, in the presence of water. Thermolene disappeared with the extinction of Turbonique in 1967-68 but the liquid as such can still be bought under its chemical denomination, N-Propyl Nitrate, from a chemicals supplier. If you just ask for thermolene you will be proposed some kind of plastic, as the name has been adopted and patented by the plastics industry, since.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/7/12 9:15 a.m.

The cost of running the FF type cars or the really fast bike powered ones such as the Radical or even F500 is just getting too high. Not everyone has the extra room to build and store an IT car, shifter karts (while a lot of fun) are lacking in aerodynamics etc. There's no reason a low budget bike powered car couldn't be capable of 100 MPH and be quite entertaining to drive.

A 250cc Vtwin, just one of many different engines coming out of China, Thailand etc:

http://www.hooperimports.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=05 It's $1,095.00. Maybe spec a 300cc version.

A roll bar type go kart chassis is not that hard/expensive to build, the body could be fiberglass or even polycarbonate, like a big RC car. Source tires and brakes etc from shifter kart stuff, it could probably be between $5-$7k ready to race and would easily fit in a common 4x8 open trailer or small enclosed trailer.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iAotKJUL828MvIunYyv79wfMrnxu8yXE35uEH0Gn9YYXgtIUAETIFvbBUpZEfCdn