1 2 3 4 5 6 7
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 9:19 a.m.

I have sick thoughts of a VQ into a Maserati BiTurbo

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
1/7/12 10:15 a.m.

Well, there's the ever-famous turbo F20C (or whatever the designation for the S2K motor is, the 9K rpm one) into the front of a 1g Saturn SL2, converted to RWD.

A mid-engine Viper-powered Dodge Caravan would be cool.

Forget the MB diesel engines, I want like some huge diesel V8 into an XJ Cherokee. If it would fit.

Ferrari V12 into an older (like early '70s) American pickup.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/7/12 10:18 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Ferrari V12 into an older (like early '70s) American pickup.

To shoot that a little off center with the recent discussions, why not a Jag V12 in a 67-72 Chevy 1/2ton?

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
1/7/12 12:21 p.m.

turbo rotary in the back of a Datsun 1200 or B210 - back in the day I couldn't afford a proper transaxle.

Fastforward to today. A mid-mounted 454 in the middle of a van. Add big suspension, four racing seats, and you and three buddies go in the Baja 1000.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/7/12 12:28 p.m.
kb58 wrote: A mid-mounted 454 in the middle of a van. Add big suspension, four racing seats, and you and three buddies go in the Baja 1000.

I've seen this done with a suburban.

jstand
jstand New Reader
1/7/12 1:11 p.m.

I'm not sure if it would fit, but it would be fun:

Use a Cobalt SS drive train to create a mid-engined Karmann Ghia. Light, fast, and could be a convertible.

jstand
jstand New Reader
1/7/12 1:22 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Forget the MB diesel engines, I want like some huge diesel V8 into an XJ Cherokee. If it would fit.

I wonder if one of the Aluminum Detroit Diesel 2 Strokes could be squeezed in?

Maybe a 4-53?

Detroit 2 stroke in 1952 Pickup

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
1/7/12 1:29 p.m.

I want an old Valiant with a 2JZ

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/7/12 1:39 p.m.

Like button pressed (anything can fit )

jstand wrote: I'm not sure if it would fit, but it would be fun: Use a Cobalt SS drive train to create a mid-engined Karmann Ghia. Light, fast, and could be a convertible.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/7/12 3:09 p.m.

I have thought it would be nice if my 454 Suburban got decent mileage. A hybrid might accomplish that... but I'd want at least as much torque as I have now. So, how about putting a surplus locomotive traction motor under the hood, running off battery power, with a Kubota diesel generator to recharge the batteries?

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
1/7/12 3:35 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I am in the process of swapping a SBC, TH350 and narrowed 10-bolt into this:

My cousin just bought one of these, but the body is shot, he is yanking the driveline out and putting it in a 77 Civic. My swap I'm doing is a vtec 1.6 (d16z6) into a 78 Civic. Almost triples the original horsepower in about a 1700 lbs car.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
1/7/12 4:09 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I sometimes wonder why SCCA doesn't try to start a low buck bike powered car class........

To a degree they already have this in Formula 500 (which started out as Formula 440).

Formula 500

I'm not sure how successful it's been. I know a lot of the old (440) cars have been relegated to autocross (where they are pretty successful).

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/7/12 5:01 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I also always wanted to make a reliable british car, like put a Toyota drivetrain in a Spitfire.

did a 22R in a MGB does that count?

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/7/12 5:07 p.m.

Ohh here is you one.

A DeltaHawk V4 2 stroke diesel in a Fiat 850 or something cool and little like that

PLUS

EQUALS

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
1/7/12 5:20 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Why can't I just have a Turbo Firefly?

Let me know when you're ready, and I'll find you one.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/12 5:40 p.m.

Really, these make sense, but, I'll never make DORK if I don't start posting: my beloved G13B swift engine into a Karmann Ghia, and an air cooled VW into a stripped BRAT. I also desperately want to just move the drivetrain to mid-engine status in my Swift GTi, but keep coming back to the idea that the trans is made of glass. Then there's the stripped AW11 MR2 with said G13B. Yes, all make either less power, or the same power as the original, save the Ghia! Maybe I am demented after all. Do your worst.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/7/12 5:44 p.m.

Someone mention v10's I think.... I've been trying to find a wrecked viper for cheap... I do believe my Volare needs that instead of a tired 318.

deveous9
deveous9 Reader
1/7/12 6:00 p.m.

I was lucky enough to run along side a guy in a motorcycle powered geo metro converted to rwd. I have been dreaming of building a fast geo metro ever since!!

zpeed7
zpeed7 New Reader
1/7/12 6:40 p.m.

Great thread!

Grand National engine into 5 speed c4 corvette.

13b into a Subaru 2.5rs (the first one).

740 Volvo wagon with an inline 5 volvo engine.

RB26DETT into an 80's 928

audi bi turbo into a 4000 cs quattro

detomaso pantera with a v8 twin turbo from a audi rs6.

Golf cart with a honda 600cc motorcycle engine.

Supra twin turbo into an old Land Cruiser.

Sti powered early Boxster.

20B (Peripheral Ports, no turbo) into a c4 Corvette.

Some sort of hot rod with a Cayenne twin turbo v8.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 7:12 p.m.
FlightService wrote:
curtis73 wrote: I also always wanted to make a reliable british car, like put a Toyota drivetrain in a Spitfire.
did a 22R in a MGB does that count?

Totally counts. Nice.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 7:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Someone mention v10's I think.... I've been trying to find a wrecked viper for cheap... I do believe my Volare needs that instead of a tired 318.

I really wanted to do that in my 96 Impala SS, but gosh golly them's 'spensive.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/7/12 7:26 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Truck V10's are cheaper, but then again they have an iron block and not a Viper-spec unobtanium aluminum one....

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
1/7/12 7:41 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I do believe a 7.3 Powerstroke into a 63 Lincoln Continental, with a big ol huffer... would make me happy.

This!!

Or this with a 7.3 powerstroke

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
1/7/12 7:53 p.m.

Gosh those people look small...

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/7/12 7:55 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
mndsm wrote: Someone mention v10's I think.... I've been trying to find a wrecked viper for cheap... I do believe my Volare needs that instead of a tired 318.
I really wanted to do that in my 96 Impala SS, but gosh golly them's 'spensive.

This is why the Volare is still in a barn. Even wrecked ones are nearly as expensive as a perfectly good RT/10. Maybe I should call Hennessey and see if he has any parts that are due for eBay soon....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CFUsLsI5AUsolqCvnWaN7uCmwqrn9H3kIYaP16hBMDgfRsiaK9V3ycLzfHRZRsap