1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/8/19 1:33 p.m.


This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by David S. Wallens • Photos as credited

The Sports Car Club of America’s CAM ranks welcome some of the most radical machinery found in autocrossing today. The rules are intentionally loose and open. In fact, they fit on a single sheet of paper. Aside from entries having to remain street-legal, just about anything is allowed, from firebreathing engine swaps and reworked suspensions to steamroller tires and composite body panels.

Going forced induction? Your max boost is only limited by your checkbook.

So what kind of monstrosity currently holds the title of national champion in the CAM-C class, where the late-model pony cars roam? A mildly modified Camaro.

It’s powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the same one found in the base model. Other than that, it checks all the boxes for CAM-C: 200-treadwear tires, a 3250-pound minimum weight, and a post-1989 build date. And yes, the car came by its championship win rather convincingly. Really.

This Camaro recently won a national championship, but it's not the top-spec, 650-horsepower ZL1 model. While it sports a few improvements, it's still powered by the four-cylinder engine found in the base car.

Read the rest of the story

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/8/19 1:39 p.m.

I love this car, and all the GM Performance guys are super awesome. 

the new 4CYL 1LE is also awesome. 

te72
te72 Reader
2/8/19 10:30 p.m.

I need to look into CAM eligibility for my Supra. Yes, it was born in Japan, but it was built in America, specifically, my garage. Basically anything that makes it fast was built here in the US too, so if we're arguing percentage of parts by country of origin, I suspect it's more American than the Camaro I once had...

 

However, that "post-1989" rule for CAM-C would put me out.

 

Considering how a lot of people don't know what a Mk3 Supra is, maybe I could convince them it's a third gen F-body haha.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/9/19 10:00 a.m.

The E55 tune is impressive. Of course, the anti-lag tune that made it much more drivable isn't realistic for a car you actually use and have to pay for turbo replacements. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/9/19 12:48 p.m.

Very cool build. 

z31maniac said:

The E55 tune is impressive. Of course, the anti-lag tune that made it much more drivable isn't realistic for a car you actually use and have to pay for turbo replacements. 

How big of an impact is it on turbo life if its running only during autox runs?

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/9/19 6:40 p.m.

They should give this car to Snrub as compensatory damages for dragging him through hell and not repairing his Camaro. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
2/10/19 8:55 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Very cool build. 

z31maniac said:

The E55 tune is impressive. Of course, the anti-lag tune that made it much more drivable isn't realistic for a car you actually use and have to pay for turbo replacements. 

How big of an impact is it on turbo life if its running only during autox runs?

Awhile back somebody posted that these guys were on their 3rd or 4th turbo when they won. But I'm not sure if the turbo failures were from development teething issues that have been resolved, or if turbos are just consumables now.

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
2/10/19 4:18 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Good question. I'd like to know as well. It sounds like they did not have the ability to change tunes from a street tune, to a race tune, and drove the car to the race events... 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/10/19 11:52 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Very cool build. 

z31maniac said:

The E55 tune is impressive. Of course, the anti-lag tune that made it much more drivable isn't realistic for a car you actually use and have to pay for turbo replacements. 

How big of an impact is it on turbo life if its running only during autox runs?

They had been through 3 turbos, or were on their 3rd, by the time they got to Nats in September.

StillNoCones
StillNoCones New Reader
2/11/19 12:37 p.m.
spacecadet said:
ProDarwin said:

Very cool build. 

z31maniac said:

The E55 tune is impressive. Of course, the anti-lag tune that made it much more drivable isn't realistic for a car you actually use and have to pay for turbo replacements. 

How big of an impact is it on turbo life if its running only during autox runs?

They had been through 3 turbos, or were on their 3rd, by the time they got to Nats in September.

Spoke to a guy who knows the team well, they lost turbo #2 or #3 by about 500 miles

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/11/19 12:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

It’s powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the same one found in the base model. Other than that, it checks all the boxes for CAM-C: 200-treadwear tires, a 3250-pound minimum weight, and a post-1989 build date. And yes, the car came by its championship win rather convincingly. Really.

Now I want to build a V8 ND Miata to compete in CAM with 800 lbs of ballast and an American flag on the hood.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
2/11/19 1:00 p.m.

It makes me wonder what I can do with my ATS 2.0...

te72
te72 Reader
2/11/19 11:06 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I said the same thing about my Supra above haha. Born in Japan, build in 'Merica!

 

I mean, truthfully, by the time you slap Wilwoods, Fox shocks, an LS, V8 Roadsters and Flyin Miata parts all together in a shop in Colorado... what's not American about that? Although if they won't let us play in CAM, I really see a need for a similar class for import cars. Maybe one for European and one for Asian, or just mix it all together. Perhaps even have a face off between the two, CAM and our import class?

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/12/19 1:37 a.m.
te72 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I said the same thing about my Supra above haha. Born in Japan, build in 'Merica!

 

I mean, truthfully, by the time you slap Wilwoods, Fox shocks, an LS, V8 Roadsters and Flyin Miata parts all together in a shop in Colorado... what's not American about that? Although if they won't let us play in CAM, I really see a need for a similar class for import cars. Maybe one for European and one for Asian, or just mix it all together. Perhaps even have a face off between the two, CAM and our import class?

There are talks of such a class existing. Lots of regions already do it. I think it will be great for the sport if it does happen at a national level 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/12/19 9:41 a.m.
te72 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I said the same thing about my Supra above haha. Born in Japan, build in 'Merica!

 

I mean, truthfully, by the time you slap Wilwoods, Fox shocks, an LS, V8 Roadsters and Flyin Miata parts all together in a shop in Colorado... what's not American about that? Although if they won't let us play in CAM, I really see a need for a similar class for import cars. Maybe one for European and one for Asian, or just mix it all together. Perhaps even have a face off between the two, CAM and our import class?

No V8Roadsters parts in an ND V8, it was 100% engineered and built in-house at FM ;)

If the Yank tanks can have a special class that's wide open, I don't see why the imports can't! Heck, Camaros weren't made in the US for a long time.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/12/19 9:51 a.m.

I 100% agree with spacecadet. Give me a weight limit, 200tw and open it up. 

skylarhagler
skylarhagler New Reader
2/12/19 11:37 a.m.

This makes me wonder if something similar could be done with the Ecoboost mustang since it's lower weight and higher power than the camaro.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/12/19 12:51 p.m.
spacecadet said:

I love this car, and all the GM Performance guys are super awesome. 

the new 4CYL 1LE is also awesome. 

Isn't it just cool? I write a lot of articles a year, and this was a treat to put together--just a neat story on every level. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/12/19 1:25 p.m.
skylarhagler said:

This makes me wonder if something similar could be done with the Ecoboost mustang since it's lower weight and higher power than the camaro.

Is it?  I thought the newer gen Camaro was lighter?

That said,  I think someone should do it anyway.  The more the merrier

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/12/19 1:31 p.m.

The current Mustangs are super heavy - they gained a bunch of weight over the prior gen. The Camaro did the opposite; it shrunk in size a bit and lost a lot of weight. I see somewhere around 3,500 lbs for the 4-cylinder Mustang and 3,400 lbs for the 4-cylinder Camaro.

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/12/19 1:50 p.m.
dculberson said:

The current Mustangs are super heavy - they gained a bunch of weight over the prior gen. The Camaro did the opposite; it shrunk in size a bit and lost a lot of weight. I see somewhere around 3,500 lbs for the 4-cylinder Mustang and 3,400 lbs for the 4-cylinder Camaro.

Oh no... more like 3200-3300 for the Camaro... mark Scroggs DS 2017 national championship winning 4cyl 2016 Camaro base model is up for sale and he has weighed it at 3170 with 1/8 tank and light wheels. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/12/19 1:51 p.m.

This GM car is just above the min weight for CAM-C which was 3250lbs this year and 3300lbs for 2019. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/12/19 1:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
spacecadet said:

I love this car, and all the GM Performance guys are super awesome. 

the new 4CYL 1LE is also awesome. 

Isn't it just cool? I write a lot of articles a year, and this was a treat to put together--just a neat story on every level. 

Yes, it's really neat. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
2/12/19 4:03 p.m.

Mark Scroggs is Selling his 2016 Camaro 4CYL that he won his 2017 DS national Championship in. 

I posted the details in the Classifieds here on the forum. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/nmna-2016-camaro-4cyl-2017-scca-national-champions/150718/page1/#post2679895

Highly recommend someone pick it up, it's a solid deal and these chassis JUST WORK. 

te72
te72 Reader
2/12/19 10:11 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I have heard this in the last couple years, but haven't seen anything among the groups I play with. I'll do what I can to spread the word. I mean, some of the cars I'm bound to show up in are going to be just something I built for fun, not to compete in a particular class. That part of the sport (the rooooools... and their books... ugh. I could be wrenching or racing, but instead, I'm reading?!) is honestly the worst.

 

Seriously, when I show up to an autocross and have to discuss with the timing trailer for a solid ten minutes to figure out what class I'm in, and eventually just say screw it, stick me in the closest thing you have to unlimited so nobody complains about my car (which won't likely be particularly compettive anyway), that's wasting time we could be racing... which is why I'm here. Seems obvious to me.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
jSDF1oPOmKcqRmABf8wMXzS8nDrDsa1utPA2cxWAyyD5S8anLZATbI5y7eNPp4e9