1 2 3
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/1/17 6:05 p.m.

Make sure you buy one with a metal head and valve.  That’s what I’ve learned from this debacle. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/17 12:13 p.m.

Finally got around to checking mine and found that it's a Kidde H110G, which is a recalled model. Looks like there are no recall options outside of the US, Canada or Mexico.

For anyone who's done the recall, what's involved specifically? I'm thinking I might be able to have a replacement sent to an ocean freight forwarder in the US...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/2/17 1:37 p.m.

You just go to the web page, fill it in with the model, color and serial number give an address, etc., and push the button. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/2/17 1:39 p.m.

Just an online form, but only for the us and canada. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/2/17 6:02 p.m.

Guess what showed up today? laugh Two shiny new fire exinguishers with metal handles. I love a happy ending. 

Thanks Doc for posting up the notice. I probably wouldn't have found out about the recall otherwise.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/2/17 6:13 p.m.

Yeah, NP, ECM.  I'm still waiting for mine, of course. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/2/17 6:28 p.m.

Ok, I'll stop now.  And no I haven't been drinking. angel

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/3/17 10:13 a.m.

My replacements arrived yesterday. Seems like they went overkill engineering the replacements but I'll take it.

Nice that they included the return labels too to dispose of the old ones.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/3/17 5:18 p.m.

Finally got off my butt and checked. Both car extinguishers are good, both house units getting replaced.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/17 6:00 p.m.

None of mine were recalled but I did have two that lost their charge so at least this got me to check and replace them.  A number of ours from work had to be replaced, hundreds of them.  For the buses they brought cases of them right to the depots but our cars are managed by another office so we had to send someone to pick up 14 replacements.  We had a car due for service and another to be picked up so he was told to go out, swap cars and bring back the extinguishers.  After loading the car it wouldn't start. Being new and wanting to follow his instructions correctly so instead of returning the extinguishers he duct taped them together in a couple bundles and brought them back on the Subway.    

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/3/17 6:13 p.m.

Give him the Red Green award for innovative use of duct tape! 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/4/17 7:24 p.m.

My replacement came today FedEx Ground.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
12/4/17 8:25 p.m.

About a month ago I was at the fire extinguisher place getting the extinguishers from one of my stores inspected/recharged. Who turns up but the city fire inspector to make sure that their 2-3 extinguishers that are permanent at the place were up to date. There were dozens of other extinguishers scattered all over the place! Well of course the permanent ones had to be inspected as well! The inspector knew the irony of the situation and said, "Hmmm, are any of these EXPIRED?"

I don't know, maybe I think it's funnier than I should.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/5/17 10:24 a.m.

When I was sailing (Radio Electronics Officer, USMM), the FCC would inspect the ship's station annually.  If you happened to be working when the inspection went on, phun city.  A typical ploy from these "inspectors" was to turn on your emergency receiver/transmitter console, running off the battery bank.  Then they would do the rest of the inspection.  Finally, many hours later, they would "inspect" your batteries and write you up for having discharged batteries. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
12/5/17 10:57 a.m.

My replacements showed up yesterday, and FEDEX picked up the returned ones this morning. All rather easily done online and one phone call to have the return shipment picked up. I would have just kept my old ones but my wife behaved like we'd be deported if Kidde didn't get the returns.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/5/19 7:53 p.m.

Sweet, first zombie thread that I remember when I posted in it the first time.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/5/19 8:13 p.m.

My jump master taught all over the world.  He was teaching in Rhodesia, I think, and had the troopies dangling up in harnesses in the air.  He always liked to ask if there were any questions when they were up in the harnesses because, being rather uncomfortable, there would not be any questions.  He went over every single type of malfunction/problem there could be when you jump out of a perfectly good airplane.  When he taught us, he had over 4K jumps.  He knew his E36 M3.  Then he asks "any questions?"  One troopie asked "Sahib.  What happens if my parachute is on fire?"  With a straight face, he replied "Then you take your fire extinguisher and put it out."

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/19 8:41 p.m.

It might be a zombie thread.....but it was a useful zombie thread since I had one that was recalled

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/5/19 8:55 p.m.

Hmm. I've got one on the boat, one in the truck, two in the shop...need to check them.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/19 8:31 a.m.
Antihero said:

It might be a zombie thread.....but it was a useful zombie thread since I had one that was recalled

Yeah, I missed this. I'll be checking out mine.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
6/6/19 10:15 a.m.

All four of mine were on the list.  1 in the kitchen, 1 in the shop, 1 in my truck and 1 in the 250.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
6/20/19 7:31 p.m.

In reply to 68TR250 :

Replying to myself.  I went through the process and got 4 new and improved KIDDE fire extinguishers today.  It still works!  Thanks Dr Hess!

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/20/19 8:19 p.m.

The house I am renting has 2 of the recalled extinguishers; one mounted under the kitchen sink and one mounted in the garage. The one in the garage is completely discharged.

Good thing the property "management" company "manages" the property and not just sucks up my rent. Oh wait angry

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
6/20/19 9:44 p.m.

I have 2, time for free new ones. Thanks!

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
6/21/19 12:32 p.m.

2 for me as well.

Thanks to all for the headsup!

Rog

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lj5pTqBX34VzU6NpWebmR9YModL57NWA0QQuS9GLcW6aAM7gscYkISFkUpNmMYDj