1 2
chockrl
chockrl None
2/5/11 8:45 p.m.

Been looking, debating, downloading software for these two gps dataloggers. The price range I was looking for is more in line with the PerformanceBox than the Basic or Complete Traqmate system, but....

Going to do mostly autocross with whatever I end up getting, probably won't switch cars at an event, but will end up installing in one of several cars. Both have a point to point mode with different start and finish lines, perfect for autocross. One has a launch feature, but my most frequent site likes to have running starts at the timing lights, so probably won't use that. The basic traqmate will mean more analysis time afterwards, because I won't be able to set start and finish, which might knock the basic out of the running.

So the Traqmate is ~400$ more than the PerformanceBox, the difference being g-meters and external GPS, external GPS is an extra add-on with a PerformanceBox. Read somewhere that a window mounted gps will actually have blind spots as the car turns and blocks some gps satelites, is accuracy greatly affected? Does anyone have experience with both? I have some PerformanceBox data files, anyone want to share some Traqmate autocross data? Is the data frequency higher with the Traqmate, the PerformanceBox is 10hz?

mw
mw HalfDork
2/5/11 9:14 p.m.

I'm pretty sure you can get a performance box with a g meter too. Drift box if I remember ?

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/5/11 9:48 p.m.

In reply to mw: I thought the DriftBox had a yaw sensor, but still used GPS for accel and lateral G calcs. Might be wrong though.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/5/11 9:50 p.m.

Was just looking at a Race Technology DL1, is it similar, better?

wbjones
wbjones Dork
2/6/11 7:08 a.m.

I use this one

http://www.mh-motorsports.com/rc_pro_obdkey.shtml

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/6/11 9:01 a.m.

The RaceChrono looks nice, I downloaded some shared laps, and it appears the data is saved at 1hz. Can this be changed? The PerformanceBox software opens up the data no problem, and appears to calculate G's as well.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/6/11 9:54 a.m.

trackaroo is something I just started playing with for an android phone. It can use a 5 or 10hz bluetooth gps add on. ~$15 or so for the software and ~$70 for the bluetooth gps. Updates to facebook and twitter as well. So far I like it and the price is right. Supposedly they have obd2 functionality in the works as well. Overlays on to google maps etc.

I found with maxqdata that 8hz was about ideal, above 8 it's just too much data. 1hz is just too slow, especially for autocross.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/6/11 12:25 p.m.

I used to do heavy equipment development, and we were never happy with even 100hz data. All of our analog data was 1000hz and we had to settle for 100hz for software channels because of the bus loads.

Is the MaxQdata iPhone app no longer available? I read a little about it, but am unable to actually find it in the app store.

Still keep coming back to either a Traqmate or PerformanceBox, personal experiences with either or both would be good info. But if I am missing something with the other mentioned system please let me know.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/6/11 1:00 p.m.

maxqdata has appeared to go out of business. They are are unresponsive in their forums. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'd be hesitant to buy anything further from them it their status has been made clear. It's shame as they had a decent product for the price point.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
2/6/11 7:23 p.m.
chockrl wrote: The RaceChrono looks nice, I downloaded some shared laps, and it appears the data is saved at 1hz. Can this be changed? The PerformanceBox software opens up the data no problem, and appears to calculate G's as well.

yeah there's an addition ( BT-Q818XT.... basically it's a stand standalone GPS unit that interfaces with the RaceChrono) among other things it does is provide bluetooth something-n-other ...... pushes you up to 5hz, even 10 for something... with my techno knowledge I'm really not much help here.. but if you look enough at the web site it should explain more....

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/6/11 9:48 p.m.

The website doesn't give specifics when using the external GPS, but mentions 5hz. I sent them an email through the website, and I'll let you know their response. Has anyone used a Traqmate and changed the data rate, what is it capable of recording 20hz, 40hz or higher?

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/6/11 10:29 p.m.

Already got a response from RaceChrono...

"The current RC basic samples GPS at 1 hz and OBDII between 5 hz and 40 hz depending on the PCM/ECU and the number of channels selected.

The RC-Pro samples at 10 HZ and the same OBDII rates listed above with the OBDKEY."

They also gave a link for sample data at 10hz, so I'll load that and see how it looks.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/7/11 8:53 p.m.

Anyone with autocross Traqmate data to share??

rwdsport
rwdsport New Reader
2/7/11 9:10 p.m.
chockrl wrote: Anyone with autocross Traqmate data to share??

I recently bought a used Traqmate that I used at a sunday autocross. Still figuring it out, but so far very impressed. I also have the RPM analog input. Ill be able to send you the data if you can wait till the weekend.

2 drivers as well. The unit definitely is not using its full potential in autocross. With predictive timing and the display, its extremely useful should you decide to try your hand at HPDE or something similiar.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/7/11 10:27 p.m.

In reply to rwdsport: Please send when you get a chance my username here at gmail.com Thanks!

mhoward1
mhoward1
2/8/11 8:26 a.m.

chockrl, what are some of your home tracks. I might be able to forward some trackmate, DL1, and others to you.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/8/11 9:34 a.m.

In reply to mhoward1: I live in MO, now that Gateway is closed, Hallet is the closest track. My focus for now is going to be autocross. If you have similar data from several different systems that would be great, even if it isn't a track I'm familiar with. Thanks!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/8/11 10:04 a.m.

In reply to chockrl:

We've been using RaceChrono to build our own system. It's capable of sampling quite quickly- well faster than the current GPS systems are capable of outputting.

Do note- with the errors that are inherent to GPS, if you sample faster than 1hz, the inherent GPS error will give funny data for accelerations. So you really want to find one that has accelerometers internal to it.

Race Chrono is capable of taking acclerometer and gyro data, so if you are handy with a soldering iron, there's a lot you can put together.

Or just read the message board to find a simple 10hz bluetooth GPS unit. It's a pretty easy set up. What they are selling is a non-DIY set up- which is good, too.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/8/11 9:35 p.m.

I've done the DIY stuff before, looking for a little more polish on the software and hardware by buying from someone else. Let them do the development, so I can just use it.

I have some pretty good data samples for Traqmate, Race Chrono and PerformanceBox now, but could still use some Race Technology DL1 data.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
2/9/11 10:57 a.m.

I have a traqmate. I really like it. I think I can set it up to 40hz though 20hz seems to be adequate. I can possibly post up some data later this evening if I can figure out a good way of hosting it.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/10/11 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Capt Slow: You can email it to me as well, if you can't get it hosted. My email is my username here @gmail.com

So the max rate is 40hz on Traqmate? It seems like it may be a race between Traqmate and DL1 for me at the moment.

mhoward1
mhoward1 New Reader
2/11/11 7:57 a.m.

Just to clarify,

Sensor data rate on the traqmate is 20 hz standard, and 40 hz max. GPS sampling rate is 4 hz max.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/11/11 9:29 a.m.

In reply to mhoward1: Thanks, I don't think I new the exact sample rate for the GPS on the Traqmate.

The DL1 is 5hz GPS standard, so they are pretty much on par in that aspect.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
2/25/11 11:13 a.m.

Just read info from Gtech Pro's website, they now have a RR Fanatic that has 10hz GPS... but there is no mention if it retains the accelerometers. Anyone have more detail info/experience with this new Gtech product?

EPcivic
EPcivic New Reader
2/25/11 6:42 p.m.

I've been using a PerformanceBox for several years now, and I love it. First and formost, it is super easy to use. Suction cup to the windshield, power cord, insert card and away you go. Takes no more time to set up than a radar detector. To me, this is worth a lot. I deal with data acquisition stuff a lot at work, so the last thing I need on the weekend is to have to undertake a major installation project on a DAQ system. It is also really nice if you have faster drivers who will let you datalog one of their runs.
I've almost never had any gps dropouts - certainly no worse than the external antenna setups I use at work. I even use it on my son's kart, mounted under the plastic fairing and powered off an RC car battery. The Jr kart can pull 2g at times! With the battery pack, I've even carried it with me on course walks so I can go back to the hotel the night before a big event and see a scale map of the course and estimate speeds. Not sure that helps any, but it's very easy to do with something as simple as the PerformanceBox.

-Chris

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CyktFPONcIiga9OXL2FXjB5vxaJ59LrD6xw335UXZaArXMRxEnh5aSEXkatsyscR