1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/15 8:44 a.m.

So, after a fair bit of wrangling both on my side convincing a somewhat skeptical SWMBO and dealing with a seller who only seems to have email access a few hours a day....

Later today I will hopefully be picking this up and driving it home: http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5173631445.html

Why it's either an adventure or a fool's errand? I live 150 miles away in Lexington. We have plans over the weekend, so I can't have SWMBO drive me up and then caravan back with me- and she works this evening as well. So, I'm renting a car one-way to drive up to Dayton, and unless the car is in WAY worse shape than expected (basically if I don't think it can make the drive home...) I'll be dropping the rental off at the airport there and driving the Miata back home.

Making it MORE interesting- the seller said that the tires are a bit dry rotted and isn't 100% sure they'll make the 150-mile drive home on the highway. I want to put winter tires on it anyway since this car is intended to be my winter beater- but that means either risking driving it back on the questionable tires or hopefully finding a set of decent wheels and tires on the cheap to pick up on the way up there to swap on and then strap the original ones to the back of the car for the drive home. Still trying to work this out- anybody got a set of 4x100's with good tires between Lexington and Dayton for cheap?

Now I just need to figure out what tools to bring along with me in case I have any troubles...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
8/21/15 8:53 a.m.

4 cans of Fix-A-Flat and a Bible. No worries.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/21/15 8:54 a.m.

That's a walk in the park. I traveled almost 600 miles to get my miata. In the snow. And it was uphill both ways.

Get off my lawn.

Ashyukun
8/21/15 9:06 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: 4 cans of Fix-A-Flat and a Bible. No worries.

Actually, a can or two of Fix-A-Flat may not be a bad idea as insurance....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/21/15 9:06 a.m.

Tires these days are stupidly good. Be gentle in the way home and you'll be fine on anything that holds air for more than 3 hours.

Basic tool kit, if it starts and runs you have no problems.

Just make sure the ATF is full.

Good luck!!

Ashyukun
8/21/15 9:10 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Tires these days are stupidly good. Be gentle in the way home and you'll be fine on anything that holds air for more than 3 hours. Basic tool kit, if it starts and runs you have no problems. Just make sure the ATF is full. Good luck!!

Yup, will be giving all the fluids a good once-over, and if necessary snagging anything it needs before dropping the rental back off. Will be bringing my jump pack with compressor along and at least a basic tool bag and tire iron (if I'm not successful at finding tires/wheels to pick up before I leave I won't bother with my floor jack & the cordless impact).

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
8/21/15 9:19 a.m.

And of course you've got me a little before the halfway point. Can always have it towed to my place to work on it if need be. I seem to recall there were quite a few used tire stores up there, too, if you get there and are very worried about the tire condition. However, fixaflat will probably do the trick. Maybe even preemptively hit any sketchy looking tires with some slime.

Ashyukun
8/21/15 9:21 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: And of course you've got me a little before the halfway point. Can always have it towed to my place to work on it if need be. I seem to recall there were quite a few used tire stores up there, too, if you get there and are very worried about the tire condition. However, fixaflat will probably do the trick. Maybe even preemptively hit any sketchy looking tires with some slime.

I imagine there are plenty of used tire places- the problem is that that they (as well as the new tire places...) likely aren't going to be closing around when I'd be getting the car. :/

bgkast
8/21/15 9:21 a.m.

Don't forget copious neutral drops to celebrate making it home. *assuming a manual swap is in it's future.

Ashyukun
8/21/15 9:46 a.m.

Unfortunately that's not currently in the plans- the car is intended as a winter beater and a second car SWMBO can drive if necessary (such as if I want her Mariner to fetch something that won't fit in our smaller vehicles) and she can't drive stick...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/21/15 12:09 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Don't forget copious neutral drops to celebrate making it home. *assuming a manual swap is in it's future.

A 1990 Miata has something like 49 torques and a quarter century old Japanese made slushbox. A neutral drop is such an item doesn't even sound like fun much less actually resulting in happy tire smoke.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/21/15 12:58 p.m.

The 1.6 engine put into the auto trans versions were slightly detuned and had less HP than the same year manual trans versions.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
8/21/15 1:15 p.m.

Low HP, auto and snow tires = great winter vehicle.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
8/21/15 1:22 p.m.

I probably have tires/wheels that could work for you. Located in Fairborn, about 25 minutes from Englewood. Email me for details. cghstang at yahoo dot com.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
8/21/15 1:31 p.m.

Hard top alone is worth half the asking price.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/21/15 2:36 p.m.

Miatae are fun.

That one looks to have a bit of sill rust, but they are built way tough, so as long as you don't fall in love with the whore, she will serve your needs.

Ashyukun
8/21/15 2:56 p.m.

Yup, was informed about the sill rust. Hoping it's not too bad in person.

On my way, a bit late. Reserved a sub-compact at Enterprise- they gave me an extended-can full size Hemi Ram truck since it needed to go to the Airport for the same price. Eh, will be interesting, why not.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/21/15 2:59 p.m.

Is your wife skeptical since she thinks that you are buying the "wrong" winter car? Also, my dad has proven that some dry rot on tires won't automatically blow out and send you in a ditch at 55+ mph.

Ashyukun
8/21/15 6:24 p.m.

Up looking at car now... problem though: it's kicking out a fair bit of white smoke after it's warmed up a bit. And not a small amount either. :(

bgkast
8/21/15 6:45 p.m.

no bueno. Offer $1000?

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/15 7:00 p.m.

Since this is GRM, you're now morally obligated to do the valve seals at a rest stop on the way home tonight after buying the heap for $236.69.

Harbor Freight is closed, so you have to use only the lug wrench, rusty needlenose pliers and unopened bourbon bottle you find in the trunk.

Ashyukun
8/21/15 7:49 p.m.

Unfortunately I guess I'm not THAT GRM yet- stopped for dinner on my way home in the rental truck I drove up in. Had I gotten up here earlier I -might- have been able to grab a car hauler from uhaul and be towing the car back too, but they're all closed now and I didn't have any luck tracking down anyone local with a towing rig that could help. So I'll have to work something out and come back another time for it. :(

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/21/15 8:26 p.m.

If you do need major engine work console yourself that I had to call a scrap man to take away the one I had advertised for free. Used Miata engines and gearboxes have negative value.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/15 8:56 p.m.

Did you grab the bourbon out of the trunk at least?

Threads like this make me want to convince my wife that we need a tow dolly. And more bourbon .

(It's Friday and I'm not on call, don't judge me!)

Ashyukun
8/21/15 9:19 p.m.

What would a fair knockdown on the price be with it running and driving but apparently needing a head gasket?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1V7LByFji8IBHo1e1aWXMYSsXai1iUmg8Yq64aT1SpZ3X9D0YtdFntAKyLKkjNu