1 2 3
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/18 9:14 p.m.

My god, that was beautiful!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 9:55 p.m.

That was one of the best segments the Clarkson has done in a long time.  I really enjoyed it. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/19/18 9:56 p.m.

The 037 is my all time favorite; I'll have to watch the episode for sure.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 10:00 p.m.

My wishes for the show are dump the multiple guests and just have one and use a leader board like the old show.  

Make conversation street a longer segment. 

For the celebrity laps have an onscreen track map with a moving dot showing where the car is on track. Maybe show on the map what is paved and what is gravel. Currently I have no idea as to the track configuration and it makes the segment really boring. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
1/19/18 10:12 p.m.

Honestly I just want more Cars Of the people. The 037 bit was good though.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/19/18 10:14 p.m.

"I'm here for the sheep".  Apparently said by a recent LSU pitcher they had on.  Yes.  Yes.  I know he played a little pro ball too. smiley

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
1/19/18 10:22 p.m.

I didn’t know that stuff about lancia. They bested audi and didn’t even have to join them to beat them. They are my new favorite racing story. Much respect gained. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 11:01 p.m.

not a coincidence. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 11:07 p.m.

Audi gets all the accolades and Lancia gets none. It's a shame, Lancia has/had more World Rally championships than anybody else until they retired the Delta Intergrale

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/19/18 11:11 p.m.

Agreed, that was the best segment I've seen on Top Gear/Grand Tour since... Well, in recent memory anyways.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/20/18 12:18 a.m.

Yes, it was a interesting bit of history right there. Hope they do something similar again in the future. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/20/18 12:48 a.m.

Audi came saw won enough to rest their laurels and buggered off never to be seen again. cheeky

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
1/20/18 1:56 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

Audi came saw won enough to rest their laurels and buggered off never to be seen again. cheeky

And good riddance, I say. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/18 2:09 a.m.

Buddy of mine has one. Very impressive up close, though build quality is a small step above kit car standards. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/18 9:30 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

Audi came and won until people who knew what they were doing started building 4wd cars.

The 037 still beat the Quattro's butt on tarmac, when it wasn't killing its drivers.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/20/18 10:01 a.m.
mad_machine said:

Audi gets all the accolades and Lancia gets none. It's a shame, Lancia has/had more World Rally championships than anybody else until they retired the Delta Intergrale

Most enthusiasts in the USA  are ignorant of Lancia and weak on European motorsports in general. For instance, they think of Abarth as a cool logo and a hop-up package for Fiats without knowing that Abarth is the winningest marque in small-bore racing - basically the Porsche of under 1000cc cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQ9q9XSveU

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/20/18 10:08 a.m.

Dis Audi all you want. Look at the quattro in IMSA or quattro sport on Pike Peak. Plus, they gave a woman a full shot and she excelled, Michelle Mouton. They were the 1st. The rest were imitators. Plus, as a check, the sport was a real car, the Peugeot 205 and the others were race cars made to look like street cars. Add to that, the 5 cyl is almost indestructible and sounds sooooo sweeeeeeet!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
1/20/18 10:34 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Alright, well, settle down.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/20/18 12:59 p.m.

Great segment!  IIRC, they had a good one on LeMans last series.

I wish they would do a little more of that... mix some history with modern footage of the cars and tell a great story.

The underway refueling bit in this episode wasn't bad, nor was the Jag segment in the last episode, but sometimes their shtick can get a little old.  This series is definitely an improvement on the first.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/20/18 1:16 p.m.

Being euro trash I've always known about this lady.  Pat Moss.

Drove a Lancia Monte Carlo to second place behind Pauli Toivonen at the '68 Sanremo.  Married the guy below.  We all remember Michelle because of her beauty as much as her skill.  wink

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/20/18 1:26 p.m.

Erik Carlsson "on the roof" would use the snow banks to slow down and steer. Loved that guy!

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/20/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Michelle is still a hottie

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/18 1:32 p.m.
markwemple said:

Dis Audi all you want. Look at the quattro in IMSA or quattro sport on Pike Peak. Plus, they gave a woman a full shot and she excelled, Michelle Mouton. They were the 1st. The rest were imitators. Plus, as a check, the sport was a real car, the Peugeot 205 and the others were race cars made to look like street cars. Add to that, the 5 cyl is almost indestructible and sounds sooooo sweeeeeeet!

I get it, you like Audis, I like them too.  But the engineers were just chunderheaded sometimes.  Like, hmm, the cars can't take tight corners, instead of putting a center diff in it, let's make the wheelbase shorter instead.

The 20v engine was unreliable enough that Blomqvist refused to give up his LWB car until he'd got his driver's title.  The Audi solution, of course, was to add more power...

The appeal of the Audis is that they are kind of like a 60s musclecar - no handling, just keep adding power smiley

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/18 1:48 p.m.
Rodan said:

The underway refueling bit in this episode wasn't bad, nor was the Jag segment in the last episode, but sometimes their shtick can get a little old.  This series is definitely an improvement on the first.

I agree completely with the part of the quote I deleted. This Lancia segment was especially spectacular. 

I actually liked what they wound up with in the underway refueling bit, but BMW did it better a couple weeks ago and stole some of the thunder. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/18 2:17 p.m.

My thoughts exactly. The BMW stunt was fantastic and it worked. But how would they know? The tent bits are obviously filmed a fair way in advance - one of the guests was wearing a poppy so it was early November. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VUSEohYUqkSeaZqf6K9bFVcDjDPntcKRVmr555ZXNFDus3PVo4K5JMnZANdSczVn