1 2
rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
11/10/11 12:33 p.m.

So I just noticed via KBB's "perfect car finder" that there's a new "sweet spot" for 911s. Early 996 Carreras seem stupid cheap, according to KBB. A quick survey of AutoTempest confirmed that , yes Virginia, there really are 1999 Porsche 911s for sale in the low teens.

Whereas, late 80's Carreras appear to be either holding steady or rising.

Now, I know the purists criticized the 996 when it came out, but I have to say it's looking better.

Thoughts?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/10/11 12:36 p.m.

I just learned via a popular magazine that you can stuff an LS3 in them pretty seamlessly to solve early engine issues.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
11/10/11 1:09 p.m.

Awesome. Simply Awesome. Off to check craigslist for a blown motor 996.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/10/11 1:10 p.m.

Wait. WHAT?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/11 1:13 p.m.

The main issue is that some early 996s with the 3.4L motor had rather expensive engine failures - the "ship the engine to Germany and get another one" type engine failure, hence the depressed prices.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
11/10/11 1:16 p.m.

How much was the adapter? Or did GM have a stroke of GENIUS and produced the LSx engines to match an established Porsche bellhousing design with intentions of undercutting Porsche's overwhelmingly expensive engine replacement parts business?

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/10/11 1:17 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Wait. WHAT?

yes. This. Answer this. Then get me one, of each.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/10/11 1:18 p.m.
RossD wrote: How much was the adapter? Or did GM have a stroke of GENIUS and produced the LSx engines to match an established Porsche bellhousing design with intentions of undercutting Porsche's overwhelmingly expensive engine replacement parts business?

You know, that would actually be a remarkable profitable thing for GM performance parts to do. Just make custom bellhousings for everything for the LSx motors.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
11/10/11 1:28 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

If that were the case, I think I'd tell everyone I was a Chevy guy and abandon the Ford camp.

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
11/10/11 1:39 p.m.

Current issue of GRM has an article on swapping an LS3 into a 911. It fits. According to the article, the 911 for the project had a blown engine and was under $10K.

Edit: see that's mentioned above; I've added some material.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
11/10/11 1:53 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: Current issue of GRM has an article on swapping an LS3 into a 911. It fits. According to the article, the 911 for the project had a blown engine and was under $10K. Edit: see that's mentioned above; I've added some material.

Interesting. I hope my issue comes soon...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/10/11 1:55 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: Current issue of GRM has an article on swapping an LS3 into a 911. It fits. According to the article, the 911 for the project had a blown engine and was under $10K. Edit: see that's mentioned above; I've added some material.

Sorry - I'm usually the last one to get his mag... I just assumed you all knew what I was talking about.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/10/11 2:05 p.m.
porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
11/10/11 2:07 p.m.

AAARRRGGGHHH! where's me magazine?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/10/11 2:34 p.m.

I've just returned from Vegas where I visited the Renegade shop.

Yes you want one, and yes they do impressive work. They also transplant LSX motors into the 944,928 and for a major dose of hilarity.....914!

They are also working on a new project that will be pretty mind blowing when it is finished. Stay tuned......

mw
mw HalfDork
11/10/11 2:38 p.m.

I can't find the cost of the kit conversion kit. Anyone know? That looks to be well thought out and a great swap!

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/10/11 3:28 p.m.
mw wrote: I can't find the cost of the kit conversion kit. Anyone know? That looks to be well thought out and a great swap!

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/ top of the left column is the 996 link.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/10/11 3:58 p.m.

Sign me up.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/11 4:19 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
RossD wrote: How much was the adapter? Or did GM have a stroke of GENIUS and produced the LSx engines to match an established Porsche bellhousing design with intentions of undercutting Porsche's overwhelmingly expensive engine replacement parts business?
You know, that would actually be a remarkable profitable thing for GM performance parts to do. Just make custom bellhousings for everything for the LSx motors.

Lakewood sorta does this. They have a blow-proof bellhousing system that splits in two. Buy the flywheel side to match your engine and the clutch side to match the transmission and voila. But that doesn't solve motor mounts, etc. That would be a freaking genius business plan though!

thunderzy
thunderzy New Reader
11/10/11 4:44 p.m.

if you go the blown motor route than its worth it. its about $7k for all the parts, if you buy all their options. no info on labor rates or fees. anyone know if the labor is rolled into the prices online?

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/10/11 5:42 p.m.

The whole kit is available from Renegade Hybrids for about ten grand. 25 grand in and you have an amazing performer with 500ish horsepower.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/10/11 5:43 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I just learned via a popular magazine that you can stuff an LS3 in them pretty seamlessly to solve early engine issues.

Yeah, I learned from some internet sleuthing (for my own LSX P-car swap) that Renegade Hybrids have nearly the worst customer service in the galaxy. They didn't like the fact that some (many) very unhappy customers were airing their dirty laundry and they bought that site and censored anything negative. Then shut the site down. they did a similar thing on another board. What were these folks unhappy about??? Only headers cracking, motor mounts failing, shoddy workmanship and more.
Just a warning to those thinking about it.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/10/11 5:44 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I've just returned from Vegas where I visited the Renegade shop. Yes you want one, and yes they do impressive work. They also transplant LSX motors into the 944,928 and for a major dose of hilarity.....914! They are also working on a new project that will be pretty mind blowing when it is finished. Stay tuned......

I've driven their 944 and 914s. All that can be said is

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
11/10/11 6:38 p.m.

$25k gets you a pretty nice Vette

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
11/10/11 8:47 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: $25k gets you a pretty nice Vette

With the motor in its proper place

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.