ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
11/7/13 8:32 a.m.

This'll be the first year the Miata gets used in the snow, and given how many thoroughly rotted Miatae I've seen in these parts, I'd love some opinions on rust prevention. The car is rust free and just a baby ('95 with 50K on it) so I'd like it to stay solid for a good long time. Buying a beater isn't an option given the current fleet size.

I'll thoroughly clean out the drains, and probably slap a set of DIY mudflaps on there while I'm swapping tires, but it seems like they need a little more help than that...

Anyone have a preferred method for rustproofing them a bit? Oil/ATF? Something else that doesn't make such a horrible mess?

I know you can get inside the rockers through the sill plates. What's the best (cheap) way to spray stuff in there? I've got a (smallish) compressor I use for impact wrenches and such, but I suspect it'd be overwhelmed by any real siphon-draw sprayer.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/7/13 8:48 a.m.

CL sub $800 winter beater and park it in the garage. road treatment crap and salt will manage to get everywhere and on everything

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
11/7/13 8:58 a.m.

constant visits to the car wash.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
11/7/13 9:01 a.m.

A forum member told me about Fluid Film. I researched for hours and it sounds like great stuff. It's non-toxic lanolin oil. You can get it in a big spray can or gallon. I did my Tacoma frame a month ago. I have no experience with personal results yet though. I got mine at a John Deere dealer and saw it at Napa for like $3 cheaper a can. I think it was around $6.50/can at Napa or $40 a gallon. It does leave a smell, although it's not horrible. A company called Kellsportproducts sells a 24" extension tube to fit the spray cans. I tried to order one over the phone and had to call back a later when I didn't receive it and they said they couldn't find any order in my name and never called me back. So who knows about them. But I would seriously at least check out Fluid Film.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/13 9:03 a.m.

Paint everything the eye can see with POR-15 and topcoat it really, really well. Then wash it every single day. That will help keep it at bay, at least.

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life; unfortunately there is no real solution other than to deal with it. Once you introduce salt to the car, it cannot be undone. The rust will just slowly take hold from that point on. Whether or not it is repeatedly driven for years in the winter and the frequency of washes can affect how fast it moves, but it will always be there.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
11/7/13 9:06 a.m.

I am going to Fluid film my truck and the wife's forester this winter. Never tried it before, but seems like a cheap and easy way to extend the life of a car that's used on treated roads.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
11/7/13 9:07 a.m.

Beater wita heater.

Another, Lived my whole life in Wisconsin...

My Miata will be holed up in a garage all winter

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/7/13 1:39 p.m.

Park it, and fog the cylinders, only way to do it.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/7/13 1:50 p.m.

re- mudflaps...

The rust starts from the back more than the front, so it's more likely that the flaps will hold water, and wear through the paint starting rust than preventing it on the car.

There are some repair panels out there- my '99 has got some pretty bad rust on both rear fenders, and I have found multiple sources of replacements when the new ower takes the car.

I've also been using a hard top on a Miata since '98 for all winter. Seems to help quite a bit.

I'm one of the people who think the Miata is such a great car to drive that I want to do it year round, so.... Good snow tires, hard top, and I'm all set for the winter. You can drive it in snow deep enough to occasionally scrape the bottom.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
11/7/13 2:21 p.m.

Obligatory "living up north sounds awful" post - signed, psycho floridians everywhere

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
11/7/13 2:26 p.m.

Wash the car once a week, every week. Go to a coin-operated car wash, kneel down on your haunches, and spray the everloving snot out of the entire underside of the car with soapy water.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/7/13 2:36 p.m.

Flaps would be worth it if your area puts down a lot of grit.

I DD my 95 base miata. Winter sees a hardtop and general altimaxes on BMW bottlecap rims. With an open diff its still pretty much unstoppable, even without studs.

That said, I do have some surface rusting happening and I clean and respray wherever I see it happening.

Firstly, go under the car and clean it. Any bare metal, cover with some paint of your choice. Then oil it for multiple layers of defense. And always check your drains, never allow snow boogers to remain on the car. Anyplace stuff gets caked up will get it worse.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/7/13 3:00 p.m.
ppddppdd wrote: I'd love some opinions on rust prevention.

Park it was already mentioned. If that isn't acceptable, move somewhere that doesn't use salt on the roads.

Bryce

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/7/13 3:01 p.m.

So many cars that a beater isn't an option, but a cherry Miata is the best winter vehicle?

As others have stated, once you introduce it, that's it.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/7/13 3:03 p.m.

There are so very few real pristine Miatas. But there are many, many, many other good ones out there. Why waste 4 months of driving it?

But I am odd. My spares are Alfas.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/7/13 5:03 p.m.

I wrote this last winter.

The last section "rust prevention", is relevant to your interests.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
11/7/13 5:56 p.m.

Oil it. We had friends in Ottawa that drove a 20 year old chevette that had been oiled every year (Rust check). No rust - anywhere. Filthy underneath, and you'd get filthy just thinking about working on it, but that car was solid.
They had a Celebrity from the same era - just as rust free.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
11/8/13 9:26 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: There are so very few real pristine Miatas. But there are many, many, many other good ones out there. Why waste 4 months of driving it?

Yeah, this one is hardly "pristine", just rust free with fine paint. I'm not going to pay store it every year, pay for repairs to a beater every year, dispose of or store the beater in the summer, etc. Might as well save the money and put it towards a new one from the south when the time comes. I'm also pretty sure the miata won't force me to work on it much in the dead of winter.

And yeah, I hate not driving it. Winter is the best time to sample its delights anyway.

I'm going to give the fluid film thing a shot, I guess.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
11/8/13 9:28 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
ppddppdd wrote: I'd love some opinions on rust prevention.
Park it was already mentioned. If that isn't acceptable, move somewhere that doesn't use salt on the roads. Bryce

Oh look, someone from Portland telling me how to live my life. WHAT A SURPRISE.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZQp4FqV6oErIDB3EYvMINfkb9bJhLWRfZ6O6NtfTAL4GGz6czW3Z4tN4hohFvomY