1 2
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/9/09 8:38 a.m.

I'd think a first gen xterra would be a good compromise off roader...and now pretty cheap for how new they are.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/9/09 11:11 a.m.

Check any serious 4-wheeler outing.

Nissan will not be well represented.

Toyota or Jeep, maybe Suzuki and then the full-size stuff that's too big to fit down the trails.

No Hummers, I live on the west coast, those things suck in anything but the desert.

Shawn

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/09 2:00 p.m.

ZJ's are getting very cheap. They have most of the benefits of the XJ (solid front axle, same-ish mechanicals) with a nicer and slightly bigger interior and better ride and handling (stock, anyway). I've run one for 15k miles with no issues.

Stay away from any jeep with the Quadra-trac full time AWD. Some of the high-end 4.0 XJ/ZJ and all of the V8 ZJ run this case. It is made of paper mache and glass, apparently, and will reduce your fuel mileage to single digits around town. The good news is that they are easily swapped, and lots of times you can pick one up dirt-cheap because the $800 quote to rebuild the transfer case is more than the owner wants to spend on an $800 SUV.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/09 5:38 p.m.

FWIW, my stock Suzuki Sidekick 4-Door went places that I never thought it would. I followed buddies in their CJs into some pretty rough terrain before I had to bow out. With a 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift and bigger tires I am sure I could have gone anywhere. Teh engine with an automatic is pretty gutless on the highway, but offorad I never found it to be too bad when crawling in low range. A Chevy 4.3 swap will cure that anyway.

If you want power, I think the 4.0 Jeep Cherokee is the best option. They are cheap, easy to find, lots of parts and still look great with a mild lift.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
usSLMzlYRgqh4uGfvoE36mavXaAe3Ad3DmXHM25gXVthbqdgf5UFQ1KCvv1KFqGh