1 2 3
Storz
Storz HalfDork
7/9/08 6:50 p.m.

I think my next project is going to be a truck. I had a ZR2 S10 back in 2000 and really enjoyed doing some trail driving with it. I have since moved to NC and would like to get back into offroading. The main terrain I am looking to drive are the beaches, and some trails. No rock crawling or anything like that.

Anyone ever toyed with an offroader...?

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/9/08 7:11 p.m.

I know its not a truck but its defenitely grassroots offroader material:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/baja-bugs/1528/page1/

KevinM
KevinM New Reader
7/9/08 8:57 p.m.

Here is a pic of my offroader (also back to being my daily driver).

Not quite a prerunner, but with a 4-link rear and 3-link radius arm style front it has more suspension travel than almost anything else out there.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
7/9/08 9:06 p.m.

My understanding is that "PreRunner" specifically refers to a 2wd. In the sand, especially at speed, the extra weight of 4WD can be as much of a liability as an asset.

Definitely look into a lockers if you're serious though, and double-especially if you go with a 2wd. And I do mean lockers, not limited-slip.

I would go with a selectable locker, myself, either an Ox-locker if they make one for the rear diff of whatever you end up building, or an ARB air locker if you can afford the setup (with the bonus of onboard air with the ARB). I've seen someone break a Ford 9" with an auto-activating locker (specifically a detroit), so I tend to steer people away from them if I can.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
7/13/08 6:37 p.m.

I've been reading a lot on some off road forums and I think I am going to go with 4wd since the sandy areas I plan to drive are beaches and speed is not an option. I have narrowed my choices down to one of the following

1st or 2nd gen Toyota 4Runner 86-95 Toyota Pickup FJ60 Land Cruiser

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
7/13/08 9:25 p.m.

Unless you need the extra seating, I'd go with the pickup over the 4Runner or the FJ, for the simple reason of weight. The lighter you are, the less likely you are to get stuck (in most 4x4 situations, that is; ice being the most immediate counterexample). FJs and 4Runners also get some pretty atrocious fuel economy: 22RE-equipped 4Runners rarely see the topside of 20mpg outside of long road trips, and the FJ is even worse.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/13/08 9:54 p.m.

I honestly don't think there is a cheap way do to a long travel set-up like you have in the picture. The IFS Toyotas can get over 10 inches of travel in the front with ball joint spacers and some longer shocks though, IIRC. Check out pirate4x4.com if you haven't yet, they've got lots of good info.

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/13/08 10:00 p.m.

Have you considered a dirtbike?

thatsnowinnebago
7/14/08 9:22 a.m.

I forgot about this last night but stay away from the 3.0 V6 in that year of Toyota. Its thirsty, not really that powerful and eat headgaskets like there's no tomorrow.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/14/08 9:54 a.m.

have you considered a baja bug. Im fairly certain they do excellently in the sand and you can often find half completed or completed projects on craigslist for cheap.

EricM
EricM Reader
7/14/08 10:27 a.m.

baja bugs (and all other air cooled VW stuff) here http://thesamba.com.

I had a 1971 baja bug and it was the most fun car to do donuts in a snow covered parking lot erver!

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
7/14/08 11:45 a.m.

For no reason in particular, I'd like to suggest a beater Subaru. No, really. Get yourself a cheap early Outback, jack it on Forester struts with lift springs, trim the fenders for small mud tires, and you're done! It's a more capable package than you'd think...

[/Subaru]

KevinM
KevinM New Reader
7/14/08 9:01 p.m.

Although somewhat biased, I say get a Jeep. You can get a nice Cherokee XJ for cheap. They are solid axle, the 4.0L is essentially bulletproof and they are pretty quick. Tons of aftermarket support, lifts are easy and cheap, replacement parts are dirt cheap.

Rebuilt waterpump on my Grand Cherokee's 5.2L - $80, rebuilt power steering pump - $55, New Brake disc - $24.

Before deciding on the Grand Cherokee, I also considered a Land Rover Discovery and the early/mid 90's Land Cruiser. It had to be fuel injected and have solid axles with coil springs. Land Rover didn't have the reliability or cheap parts, Toyota was just too big.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
7/15/08 6:43 a.m.

Definetly some good suggestions

Unfortunatly dirtbikes are not allowed on the beaches here, plus its hard to bring camping gear and the wife on one

I would look into a baja bug, subie etc however I want to do some trail riding as well and here that means ground clearance is a priority because of the rocks. I've seen AWD in the deep sand on the beaches here as well and they almost always get stuck and bogged down, a low range is a must.

I like the Cherokee idea a lot actually and its in my top 3 with the 4Runner and Yota pickup. Not too terribly worried about mileage as this will not be a daily driver, but better is always a good thing.

My first job out of college I did a lot of pipeline survey work, I would basically spend weeks on end off roading in northern MI. Our company had mid-90s Cherokee Sports and I was constantly amazed at how well they did off road, even on stock suspension and street oriented tires. Northern MI has some very large hills and the pipeline right of way trails are not always in the best of shape.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/15/08 7:08 a.m.

Photobucket]

I've just started on my Off-roader/ Daily Driver.

I'm building a rear bumper now, and hope to pick up some wheels and 31s this week. I'm not looking for anything hard-core, just fun.

Hope to do a grassroots lift to fit the 31's

-James

Luke
Luke HalfDork
7/15/08 7:12 a.m.

Sorry nothing to add to the topic, but I have to ask, jamscal, what's the red tractor type thing in your garage?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/08 9:18 a.m.

'91 Jeep Wrangler. Purchased for $3500, added another $1500 or so to it. I should have it regeared to 4.56 with ARB lockers front and rear for ~$6K. Pretty competant rock crawler at that point.

I like desert trucks, just no place to play with them in the southeast. If I lived out west, I think I'd have to have a baja-type truck.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/08 9:20 a.m.
jamscal wrote: Photobucket] I've just started on my Off-roader/ Daily Driver. I'm building a rear bumper now, and hope to pick up some wheels and 31s this week. I'm not looking for anything hard-core, just fun. Hope to do a grassroots lift to fit the 31's -James

Did you build that front bumper? It's nice!

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/15/08 9:53 a.m.

Luke: That's a Willys Wagon (sans body). 1960 I think. I finished putting axles on it and am putting in Motor Mounts now. (Customer's car)

Dave:

Thanks! Yes, I built it. I'm trying to sell them on ebay. Seems to be more interest in a rear bumper though.

I like mine a lot, if I do say so myself, but people also want a winch mount and a few other goodies, so I'll probably have to accomodate them.

thatsnowinnebago:

Pirate is chock full of info, but newbies might want to read and search for a year or two before posting. The smackdowns get pretty rough over there.

-James

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/19/08 8:39 p.m.

My day with my Grassroots Offroader:

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=1906

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
7/19/08 9:03 p.m.

88-91 Isuzu Trooper

-can be had for $1000 or less in decent shape

-2.6L four banger has lots of grunt

-4.56 diffs, some have 4.77

-up to 34" tires without lifting or cutting

-tons of interior room, take out the back seat and you can live in it

-cool sub saharan rover styling

I flog mine out in the desert a few times a month. everything from high speed 2wd running to 4low crawling over a mountain pass trail, it can do it well. I'd post a pic but I don't have a host.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/19/08 10:53 p.m.

www.photobucket.com

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/19/08 11:30 p.m.

just remember that beach and surf play is the, IIRC, most corrosive conditions you can put an offroader thrue, so remeber to wash out from underneath afterwards.

+1 on the subie idea

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/20/08 2:45 p.m.

I've bee thinking along these lines for a while. I had some fun in my buddy's lifted Yota (see thread in OT on 'Murdered Out') and I need something to haul some stuff. So, a Toyota p/u, 4Runner or similar small-ish SUV with a little lift has been on my mind.

This would mainly be used on-road for occasional commutes and mainly dragging sound gear to gigs. I'd love an FJ40, but they're not in the price range. Price range, by the way, is as close to $0 as possible.

Questions:

• What's a prerunner? I've seen that term but never understood.
  • Is it possible to strike a balance between off-road performance and on-road comfort/mileage with a mild lift and bigger tires? What combinations work well on what vehicles?
  • I'm intrigued by the Isuzu Trooper idea. What about on-road mileage and parts availability, both OEM service parts and aftermarket mods?
  • Where's a good place for a n00b grassroots-oriented truck enthusiast to start?
thatsnowinnebago
7/20/08 10:03 p.m.

A prerunner technically is a vehicle used to run race courses prior to the actual race. They have long travel suspension (upwards of 20" sometimes ), cages, fiberglass fenders/bedsides, etc. Check out Camburg Suspension and Total Chaos to get an idea of the long travel thing. If you want a balance of off-road prowess and on-road comfort look at Old Man Emu suspension systems. They are an Australian company (part of ARB) that makes small lifts for almost any 4x4 on the planet. All I've ever read about them is how incredible the ride quality is. They also increase the load carrying capacity of the vehicle. The Troopers are supposed to get 18ish on the highway with either motor option, according to the EPA. GM will supply parts for Isuzu cars and trucks for 8 years. Yota Tech is a good forum for Toyota info and Planet Isuzoo is good for Isuzus. If you are interested in expedition style rigs, Expedition Portal has some fantastic vehicles on it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uPtpMVfKBpK4CEZ991PXnDcfttwTqaAFxP1MuLyEg5qMa9gEIi04ChxKJJKBbObJ