1 2 3
ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/21/08 12:31 p.m.

Pre-runner... Now I get it.

The long travel suspension on those high-speed trucks and buggies has always really impressed me. Such control over such a wide range of motion and incredibly varying loads.

Any good places to look for somebody off-loading their old project for something new? Is there an expedition offroader equivalent to the GRM Marketplace?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/21/08 2:40 p.m.

87-91 nissan pathfinder, find a 5-speed version, they're out there, ~$2000, it won't matter how beat up the suspension is because this basically replaces all of it and gives you a 3" lift for a scant 750 bucks. so for under 3 grand you've got a capable, durable offroader

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/21/08 5:18 p.m.

Hmm... Intriguing. I do like the looks of those. (Why are ambulance doors so hard to find, though?)

What motor did those get? Same at the Hardbody? How about transmission? Parts availability and aftermarket support? (I don't know much about Nissan stuff, in case you can't tell.)

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/21/08 5:24 p.m.

they had a sohc ve(?, i think)30 3L v6, early ones were tbi, somewhere between 89 and 91 they switched to multi-port injection. they shared most or all drivetrain parts with the hardbody, although im not sure how long they were available with the 4cyl. you want the 6 anyways. the transmission and transfer case are similar or the same as the ones on the early xterra. from what i've read on the pathfinder forums, the real weak link in the 4x4 system is the auto-locking hubs, which you can replace with warn manual hubs for under $60

The_Jed
The_Jed None
7/21/08 6:08 p.m.

I have a '94 F-150,4.9,5-speed,2wd short bed and it has giHUGEant amounts of travel stock;front and rear.But the soft springs and lack of sway bars attribute to it's mirror scraping tendencies any time I try to generate some lateral G's.If you can come to terms with the front suspension I highly suggest one of these,but opt for the I-6 only if you despise reving above 3,500;it's unbelievably reliable as long as you do not exceed said rev ceiling.It will rev higher but I do not recommend it.

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/21/08 6:43 p.m.

Strizzo, what's the logic behind those year restrictions? What happened after '91?

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/21/08 8:12 p.m.

I think the Pathfinder went to unibody construction, but I don't know the year.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/22/08 9:38 a.m.
ACarlson wrote: Strizzo, what's the logic behind those year restrictions? What happened after '91?

pathfinder went to unibody around 97-98, i named 87-91 because thats about how old they have to be to get them for around 2 grand. the 2-doors are cheaper than the 4 door models, probably because the 2 doors don't have much more room for stuff than my mazdaspeed3 with the seats folded down. the 94 or 95+ i think have airbags and a more updated dash, they're also a bit harder to find with a 5-speed.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/22/08 9:40 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: I have a '94 F-150,4.9,5-speed,2wd short bed and it has giHUGEant amounts of travel stock;front and rear.But the soft springs and lack of sway bars attribute to it's mirror scraping tendencies any time I try to generate some lateral G's.If you can come to terms with the front suspension I highly suggest one of these,but opt for the I-6 only if you despise reving above 3,500;it's unbelievably reliable as long as you do not exceed said rev ceiling.It will rev higher but I do not recommend it.

a friend of mine put her dads up on two wheels making a left turn going too fast

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/22/08 9:49 a.m.

^^or find a I-6 bronco

VanillaSky
VanillaSky New Reader
7/22/08 9:36 p.m.

The Pathfinder went to unitbody in 1996.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/08 7:36 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: A prerunner technically is a vehicle used to run race courses prior to the actual race. They have long travel suspension (upwards of 20" sometimes ), cages, fiberglass fenders/bedsides, etc.

I've never understood why Prerunners are usually only 2WD. Can someone explain that?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/23/08 8:07 a.m.

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the 4x4 equivalent of the Miata yet:

I guess the OP is not necessarily looking for a 4x4 though, so that's understandable.

Anyway, I've never been a 4x4 guy, but this thing amazes me. Stock street tires, completely stock and this thing goes where you point it. It's a blast!

I need to get some poser/action shots!

It's getting lighter all the time too! I can hear it...

Clem

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/23/08 10:10 a.m.

thanks clem, you are making me wish I picked up that tracker instead.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/23/08 12:41 p.m.
Woodyhfd wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: A prerunner technically is a vehicle used to run race courses prior to the actual race. They have long travel suspension (upwards of 20" sometimes ), cages, fiberglass fenders/bedsides, etc.
I've never understood why Prerunners are usually only 2WD. Can someone explain that?

I think its mostly a weight and travel thing. Its easier to pull huge amounts of travel if you don't have to worry about things like CVs exploding. I'm not saying it can't be done, Trophy Trucks are 4x4 and they have 20"+ in the front and 30"+ in the back but they also cost many thousands of dollars.

thatsnowinnebago
7/23/08 12:43 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: ... from what i've read on the pathfinder forums, the real weak link in the 4x4 system is the auto-locking hubs, which you can replace with warn manual hubs for under $60

You also need to be careful of the steering system if you lift one, its notoriously weak on Nissans.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/23/08 1:15 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Strizzo wrote: ... from what i've read on the pathfinder forums, the real weak link in the 4x4 system is the auto-locking hubs, which you can replace with warn manual hubs for under $60
You also need to be careful of the steering system if you lift one, its notoriously weak on Nissans.

Calmini offers a couple of solutions to that as well, the HD steering kit is a bit pricey, but the Idler arm brace is a bit more grassroots priced, if you're not going crazy with tire size.

alfadriver
alfadriver New Reader
7/23/08 2:03 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Woodyhfd wrote:
I think its mostly a weight and travel thing. Its easier to pull huge amounts of travel if you don't have to worry about things like CVs exploding. I'm not saying it can't be done, Trophy Trucks are 4x4 and they have 20"+ in the front and 30"+ in the back but they also cost many thousands of dollars.

Many of the Trophy Trucks are RWD. I know the team I briefly worked with was RWD. Also +40" of wheel travel....

It was amazing to watch that thing go across the desert.

Eric

thatsnowinnebago
7/24/08 4:57 a.m.

Yeah watching those guys droop out after a jump is amazing. I was unaware that most of the trophy trucks were RWD, thanks for the info.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/08 8:39 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Woodyhfd wrote:

Then if the Prerunners can run the same course while being lighter, cheaper and with huge travel, why not just race the prerunners and forget the four wheel drive?

Please keep in mind that these questions are coming to you from the Desert Racing Capital of America...

....Connecticut

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/08 3:16 a.m.

In all fairness, the line is a little blurry between prerunner and race truck. I think the race trucks make more power, have more suspension travel and are more durable. Maybe someone else can give a better answer as I'm struggling a bit, haha.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/25/08 6:53 a.m.

Range Rover Classic SWB. I bought my first one, an '88 for $800, and sold it a year later for $800 when I got a newer one (a '95). The SWB versions have a turning circle not much longer then their own length, and serious articulation and offroad ability. The early Classics are simple, rugged trucks. Yeah, they can have a few electrical issues, but those are really easy to deal with. the mechanicals are hell for stout, though, starting with that old Buick aluminum pushrod V8.

The later LWB versions are more expensive (though you can find trail ready versions for around $2k), but just as good offroad, have a little more power (if you get the 4.2 liter version, vs the 3.5 liter or 3.9 liter versions), and much more comfort. i woudl however, recommend doing away with the air ride suspension in the later Classics (most have already had that operation done).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elU2e7ZnNz8

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/25/08 7:36 a.m.

uhhh, wow, you weren't kidding

1500 95 disco, needs some work

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/765769073.html

3700 slightly offroad prepped 98 disco LE

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/767455564.html

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/25/08 8:45 a.m.

Yeah, the Discos are good, too, but not the 4.0s. The best are the '99-up with the 4.6s, after BMW bought them. But they are still holding their value. Even the early ones shared the chassis and drivetrains with the classics, and they are quite rugged, though they tend to feel a bit more top heavy.

I'd recommend staying away from the '95-99 Range Rover P38 body. Lots of problems with them, both electrically and with the drivetrain, from what I hear, as well as some overheating issues and head gasket problems with the 4.0s and early 4.6s. And the GEMS fuel injection wasn't the best, either. In '99 they got Bosch stuff, and overall reliability went up. But again, once you get to the 2000 model year, they are still out of grassroots price range (I'm in the process of buying an '01 Range Rover 4.6 HSE for about $10k, still with a warranty on it...)

this is the kind of rig I'm talking about:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/765385176.html

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/08 9:03 a.m.

I'd consider a Samurai the offroad equivalent of a Seven...really good offroad performance but pretty impractical for anything else.

An offroading Miata would have to be a Hilux or a Pathfinder...cheap with good performance but still a decent civilized DD.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8IbyAX51xu93551WQ1DtGZsyM8smybQ1UYoquA0A23h8gbOvAhOHqJ4aBclsoIXb