NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded New Reader
5/16/16 7:32 p.m.

I love to read books on cars. I've made my way through "How to Hot-Rod Volkswagen Engines" and "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive". this summer I'm working for a local air-cooled guy and hopefully going to buy a Baja Bug, hence all the VW books.

I'll read anything as long as it has to do with four wheels and an engine. Any suggestions?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/16/16 7:34 p.m.

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

Christine

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/16/16 7:41 p.m.

"Build your own sports car". Any of them, but I have a copy of the original from Ron Champion. Very interesting read.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
5/16/16 8:12 p.m.

Maximum boost by corkey bell. Because turbos make everything better

outasite
outasite Reader
5/16/16 8:23 p.m.

Classic enthusiast reads: Unfair Advantage, Stainless Steel Carrot, Mudge Pond Express.

Books about: AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, the Unsers, Parnelli Jones

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
5/16/16 8:23 p.m.

'Engineered to Win' by Carroll Smith

I am enjoying reading it.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/16 8:34 p.m.

Anything written by Keith Tanner , get the Dune buggies and Baja Bugs book. Also, Midlana, and Kimini books. Only one of these is written by a non GRM poster. It's the one written in the 70's.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
5/17/16 10:35 a.m.

I will second "Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donohue, "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, and the "_____ to Win" series by Carroll Smith (Engineer, Prepare, Drive, then the Fastener Handbook).

I also enjoyed Sports Car Chassis Design by Mike Costin (half of Cosworth), it's an old one from the 60s/70s originally but has some interesting information.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
5/17/16 11:27 a.m.
Madhatr wrote: 'Engineered to Win' by Carroll Smith I am enjoying reading it.

+1. All of the books written by Carrol Smith.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/17/16 12:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

I must be the only car guy that disagrees with this one. I have 30k+ miles on motorcycles and Minor in Philosophy.

It just got to be too much toward the end. I never finished it.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/16 12:36 p.m.

Another good thread on the topic. Probably many double recommendations.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/good-racing-or-auto-books/98700/page1/

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/17/16 12:52 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
I must be the only car guy that disagrees with this one. I have 30k+ miles on motorcycles and Minor in Philosophy. It just got to be too much toward the end. I never finished it.

You're not alone. It sucks. Somewhere around here is a similar thread where it is discussed.

greenwoodjw
greenwoodjw GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/17/16 1:41 p.m.

In reply to NoPermitNeeded:

"Beast: The Top Secret Ilmor-Penske Race Car That Shocked the World" by Jade Gurss

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
30b2uo4ARDgsq5a9XTd0Q4GDav1mFxv5yazNgQfeAAcPyzsD8fN5QQh7wGHTwpDl