1 2 3 4
ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/14/08 6:23 a.m.
Moparman wrote: I was autocrossing today in Bloomsburg, PA

Dude, you were in Bloomsburg. They only got flush toilets a few years ago.

My smartass reply would probably have been "Thanks. And where is your race car?" This is generally followed by blank stares and eventually some reference to a brother's Camaro that currently has the engine out of it.

As for the NASCAR crowd, I don't hate. I just don't have much of anything to talk about with that group.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
7/14/08 6:43 a.m.

You were unfortunately sharing the area with a "Four Wheel Jamboree" at the Bloomsburg fairground this weekend... You got rednecks from ALL over coming into the area...

Though ddavidv isn't that far off about the toilets

Unrelated, did you get to say hi to the guy in the C4 Grand Sport? Ron's from my region, good guy, pretty fast too...

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
7/14/08 8:17 a.m.
TransMaro wrote: As for NASCAR stickers, I love them. They're a great litmus test.. If you have a NASCR sticker anywhere on your vehicle or wear NASCAR merchandise I can guarantee that we will have nothing in common and I won't have to waste my time talking to you to learn that you're a complete idiot.

Wait. Who is calling who a bigot?

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/14/08 9:20 a.m.
Dorsai wrote: Y'all oughta come live in Birmingham, Al. If it ain't NASCAR or the SEC, it ain't you-know-what.

I live in Birmingham, AL.

I don't like NASCAR and I went to and ACC school.

Oh, wait a minute, those are the things I get harassed about.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/14/08 9:26 a.m.

Around here if I'm at a party or etc. I have sorta learned to keep a low profile about my car hobby. Why?

It usually goes something like this:

Significant other or friend points at me: 'He races cars'.

Person this information is being given to: 'Really?' Their ears perk right up.

Me: 'Yup.'

Other person: 'Dragster or circle track?'

Me: 'Umm... autocross.'

Other person (brow furrows): 'Autocross? What's that?'

Me: Cliff Notes version of AX.

Other person: 'What kind of car?'

Me: Cliff Notes description of the Abomination.

Other person: 'What's a Triumph?'

Me: thumbnail description of a Spitfire.

Other person: interest is visibly fading quickly, this guy doesn't race a man's car, he's one of those faggy sportscar drivers.

Other person (desperately trying to act interested for sake of social interaction): 'How much money do you win?'

Me: 'None.'

Other person: all interest is gone at this time. Changes subject to weather or whatever.

Me: relieved.

But yeah, it's best not to let some butthead ruin your day. Best thing you could do when they say something redneck and stupid is look them in the eye, smile and say 'thank you'. That will screw them up so bad they will walk away muttering that you have GOT to be crazy. Then they will forever give you a wide berth, and isn't that best?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
7/14/08 9:56 a.m.

I have a Sunoco/Nascar sticker on my car as vandalism deterrent.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/14/08 10:07 a.m.

Come on guys. I thought GRM folk could stand such abuse. After all, you do take Miata jokes pretty well

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
7/14/08 10:18 a.m.

Just consider the source. Hillbillies don't understand autocross, so their opinion is moot.

The first time I showed up with my Neon at a local Porsche Club autocross, I got a lot of "the snicker". In the following 3 years of subsequent events with them, the only Porsche that has run quicker than my Neon was a trailered full race Carrera.

I don't get "the snicker" anymore.

When someone disses your Neon, just drive around them; it puts them in their place and makes you feel better at the same time.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/14/08 10:05 p.m.

Yeah, but I type as well as Edward Scissorhands.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/14/08 10:07 p.m.

I know Ron fairly well. He gave my son Tommy an open invite for a trip around the course in his Grand Sport. Wish I could make the Cone Killer this weekend.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/14/08 10:10 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Around here if I'm at a party or etc. I have sorta learned to keep a low profile about my car hobby. Why? It usually goes something like this: Significant other or friend points at me: 'He races cars'. Person this information is being given to: 'Really?' Their ears perk right up. Me: 'Yup.' Other person: 'Dragster or circle track?' Me: 'Umm... autocross.' Other person (brow furrows): 'Autocross? What's that?' Me: Cliff Notes version of AX. Other person: 'What kind of car?' Me: Cliff Notes description of the Abomination. Other person: 'What's a Triumph?' Me: thumbnail description of a Spitfire. Other person: interest is visibly fading quickly, this guy doesn't race a man's car, he's one of those faggy sportscar drivers. Other person (desperately trying to act interested for sake of social interaction): 'How much money do you win?' Me: 'None.' Other person: all interest is gone at this time. Changes subject to weather or whatever. Me: relieved. But yeah, it's best not to let some butthead ruin your day. Best thing you could do when they say something redneck and stupid is look them in the eye, smile and say 'thank you'. That will screw them up so bad they will walk away muttering that you have GOT to be crazy. Then they will forever give you a wide berth, and isn't that best?

We must live parallel lives. I have difficulty explaining to locals why SCCA cars leave the windows in the car and the doors are not welded shut. I lose them when I explain that road racers can be black-flagged for bumping and and aggresive actions

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/14/08 10:18 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: Just consider the source. Hillbillies don't understand autocross, so their opinion is moot. The first time I showed up with my Neon at a local Porsche Club autocross, I got a lot of "the snicker". In the following 3 years of subsequent events with them, the only Porsche that has run quicker than my Neon was a trailered full race Carrera. I don't get "the snicker" anymore. When someone disses your Neon, just drive around them; it puts them in their place and makes you feel better at the same time.

First time I had the Neon out in 1999 (was not my primary race car then) I was ridiculed by two "tuner boys" for not having a wing. A few events later when I had my Charger 2.2 Street Prepared car out, a group of spectators wanted to know why my "Mustang" had Charger printed on it.

The worst came from Grundy Collector Car Insurance. I wanted agreed coverage for my 1989 Shelby Dakota (#233). The after sending the form and required photos, I recieved a response from a rep who told me that all I have was a truck with stickers on it. When I expalined that it was a genuine Shelby, I was told that Shelby never made trucks or worked with Dodge. This is Grundy, one of the world's foremost collector car insurers, I had no trouble getting insurance from American Collector Car Insurance Co.

If I had a 65 Nova with a stove-bolt 6 I would have had an easier time with Grundy.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 10:56 p.m.

So, what kind of car did the rednecks want to see at the autocross? The Neon is one seriously competative car in many race classes, and is a domestic. Lifted 4x4s dont slalom!

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/14/08 11:02 p.m.

I don't think they thought much of autocross

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 11:11 p.m.

Bloomsburg, not firmiliar with it, on the other hand, I have a relitive in just about every trailer park in the Sayre/Athens area of PA, thats bad enough. And every one of them was a Petty fan back in the day, now I think most have gone over to Gordon. Any who...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/14/08 11:42 p.m.
TransMaro wrote: My car is like the Millenium Falcon, it may not look like much but it's got it where it counts ('scuse me, I geeked out for a minute there)..

So it didn't make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs???

TransMaro
TransMaro New Reader
7/14/08 11:53 p.m.
gamby wrote:
TransMaro wrote: My car is like the Millenium Falcon, it may not look like much but it's got it where it counts ('scuse me, I geeked out for a minute there)..

A parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

Gahhh! You're making me do it again!!

Shawn -who likes STOCK car racing but not the "racertainment" that is passed off as racing to millions of beer-goggled rednecks-

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture New Reader
7/14/08 11:56 p.m.

.5 past lightspeed??

TransMaro
TransMaro New Reader
7/14/08 11:57 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: So, what kind of car did the rednecks want to see at the autocross?

Black Monte Carlos with Dale Earnhart stickers, bright orange chargers with the confederate flag on the roof. You know, REAL race cars.

WHOOOOOO!!! Skynrd!!!!!!

Shawn

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
7/15/08 4:16 a.m.

Jesus, you people ( yes, I said it, "people" ) depress me. Baseball is the number one sport, football is number two. That any form of auto-racing in these man-bear-pig days makes number three y'all should be bloody thankful! Feck! Can't believe I can't discuss anything racing here in the nation's capital, and then to go on my favorite car site and see Cartmanesque bullying/denegration on a ferkin' car site. Sheeish! Rant Off!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/15/08 7:57 a.m.

NASCAR is rapidly devolving away from motorsports, and becoming the WWE at 200 miles per hour.

why does Jimmie Johnson have an outstanding record at LOWES motor speedway, and why does he seem to always win the KOBALT TOOLS 500?

Why do cautions last 4 laps when someone spins and regains control without hitting anything?

Why does invisible debris appear anytime someone leads a race by more than 8 seconds?

Whose palms did Toyota have to grease to start winning? Everyone knows Toyota stickers are faster than Dodge stickers, but Chevy stickers are better because they have Dale!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/15/08 8:44 a.m.

Conspiracy theory much?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 8:51 a.m.
TransMaro wrote:
gamby wrote:
A parsec is a measure of distance, not time. Gahhh! You're making me do it again!!

Actually, the Kessel run was measured in distance, not time. It required (requires)a freighter such as the millenium Falcon to skirt past several Empiral fleet emplacements AND a few natural blockakes. A faster ship could do the run in less distance, saving time and fuel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
7/15/08 9:50 a.m.
Gearhead_42 wrote: You were unfortunately sharing the area with a "Four Wheel Jamboree" at the Bloomsburg fairground this weekend... You got rednecks from ALL over coming into the area...

That explains a bit. When I first saw this post I was wondering what the heck the other racers were running, as even Mustang and Camaro guys usually wouldn't give you grief for racing a Neon. I have seen some interesting autocross runs with pickup trucks, but they're usually more amusing than fast.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
7/15/08 9:59 a.m.

Yeah, don't tell Einstein, he'll have a fit...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jHIzJfNEn30kIA3Hg7go8nYW3fA9SOhgnoRD6BYgMGNXjYg7DgJT1JznzNOuJuW5