https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfWnl6AR1I

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
12/19/14 2:43 p.m.

I would too if it would only start.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
12/19/14 3:07 p.m.

Dead battery, and doesnt even know what the hill descent button is for...jeez.

My girlfriends dad has a Disco II, and i had two somewhat petty things that instantly made me dislike it (aside from all the work he has had to do to it): 1. Steering wheel - not shaped like any other wheel I'm used to. they had the taper all weird. 2. Ignition key - if you look at any other car from the side, ignition goes from what, 12 oclock to maybe 2 oclock, and then 3 to crank? I swear the rover started at 3 oclock and turned to 7 to get it to start. It just felt wrong.

Still nicer inside than my montero though!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/14 5:57 p.m.

yes, the wheel is weird... but I drive saabs, the ignition on my Disco2 didn't phase me in the least

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/19/14 6:47 p.m.

I keep telling myself "it'll be fine! As long as it starts and runs and drives".

I want one (a 2002) really badly. I don't care about much as long as it gets me where I'm going. Power locks? Don't care. Replacing window motors? Don't care.

mad_machine
12/19/14 8:10 p.m.

I have a 2004 with no problems aside from a headliner that is starting to creep down in a couple of places.. so far so good!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/19/14 9:08 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

That's good to hear!

It's really the ONE vehicle I come back to every time. Every time.

And every time they force thier way back into my head, I end up seeing them parked next to me, driving, passing one in a driveway or used car lot and think perhaps, perhaps Land Rover is calling me to ownership.

mad_machine
12/19/14 9:17 p.m.

well.. from everything I have read.. the 2004 is the worst year to get. The engines were poorly built from the factory with misaligned dowels on the oil pump housing and they will drop liners if you overheat them. As the engine in mine is approaching the age where all the problems start.. it is a matter of time before it pops and I need to replace it.

The engine that is.. not the Rover.. I love my truck too much

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/19/14 9:35 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

So Ive read. I also read that 2002's were the last year before the dropping pistons issue.

What many people that tell me to beware don't realize is that I daily a '95 F150 that's had new rotors, calipers, brake lines, fuel tank, spring hanger, coil bucket, two water pumps, a new starter three batteries, new passenger exhaust manifold, the power locks don't work and one wing window is welded shut and the rearview mirror fell off.

What it does well is start every morning and gets me to work in any weather while getting 10-11 mpg and being slow.

If a 2002 Discovery can do THAT, I'll be happy!

mad_machine
12/19/14 9:38 p.m.

I did have some small minor issues that had me questioning my sanity. I kept getting misfire codes and low voltage to the O2 sensors.. and then the battery gave up the ghost and all those CEL inducing issues went away

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/19/14 9:55 p.m.

All that caused by a dying battery? Almost makes sense. And it was cured with a new battery?

I'll take that problem!

mad_machine
12/19/14 10:29 p.m.

yes.. battery came with the rover.. so no idea how old it was. When it finally went (after a couple of weeks) all the "problems" went away and have not returned

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/20/14 5:31 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Hard to complain about that! I was worried for a second. (I don't need much to push me into buying one! An easy-fix like that certainly helps!)

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/20/14 7:19 a.m.

^^ Haha, internet for two

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/20/14 7:39 a.m.

One day My DiscoII turned on the radio when the battery got really low.....playing REALLY LOUD soft rock. It was amusing to try to figure out why my radio didn't respond to the ignition switch or volume control while it screamed I WANNA KNOW WHAT LOVE IS.......I WANT YOU TO SHOW ME lol, I miss my disco.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/20/14 7:50 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: ^^ Haha, internet for two

You're officially invited to join us! It's nice and warm here!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/20/14 8:04 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: One day My DiscoII turned on the radio when the battery got really low.....playing REALLY LOUD soft rock. It was amusing to try to figure out why my radio didn't respond to the ignition switch or volume control while it screamed I WANNA KNOW WHAT LOVE IS.......I WANT YOU TO SHOW ME lol, I miss my disco.

This is hilarious.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/20/14 12:27 p.m.

My 97 Range Rover has been plagued with problems but mostly due to the supercharger added on by Cameron Concepts

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/20/14 2:19 p.m.

I've been made to equate buying a Discovery with sticking my hand in a meat grinder.

I still feel like I can do it and not regret it (keep in mind this'd be my only vehicle)

mad_machine
12/20/14 6:58 p.m.

If you do buy a disco.. stay away from the rear air ride. From what I can gather, it is not only an option that is guaranteed to break (at the worst possible time) but is probably the reason most people think the Disco does not ride or handle well. Mine came with the standard rear coil springs and it has surprised me with how well it holds the road and goes around corners

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/20/14 10:59 p.m.

Right. And I'm not a fan of ACE either. Just another thing to go wrong.

etmracing
etmracing New Reader
1/1/15 3:25 p.m.

My disco has always been super reliable for me it is a d1 though.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/1/15 6:17 p.m.

In reply to etmracing:

Good to know because I'm back to talking myself into a II at this moment!

mad_machine
1/1/15 9:24 p.m.

well.. I have been fighting a losing battle with coolant level for a couple of weeks now.. kept running low so I was assuming it was the dreaded 4.6 dropped cylinder liner.. until today, I am putting coolent into a hot engine (yes, it got that low) and I noticed some steam rising from the opposite side...

Traced it down to a leaking throttle body defroster. It is getting bypassed tomorrow

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1N8Yc0XOjHV6b87Xn2HkeytHmt21WJdlvh8D2ZdV4PBxyCZJqV6Hlw4kVWViRl1