RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
May 20, 2013 1:45 p.m.

So, my loud, lowered, race-seated '94 miata mostly survived it's ~ 3500mile trip from Boston to California. But now it seems to be having some issues with hard starting and lack of power. I noticed it a little bit when I hit altitude crossing the rockies, and thought I chalk it up to that. But it seems to still be there in some shape.

So before I left I gave it basic tuneup, fresh oil change, new fuel filter, regapped the plugs, new plug wires, new denso o2 sensor, new ecu coolant temp sensor, etc etc..the poor car is progressively having a harder time starting (especially in the morning or sitting after a long period of time)and a definite lack of power at the higher rpm ranges. Checked the plugs, they look decent, and the gap is about right, air filter isn't clogged, and no CEL's are stored in the ecu. Tried different grades of fuel and it makes 0 change.

Soo...I'm not sure where to start on this one,I only have a few of my tools unpacked, so trying to figure out the easier ones to check before I start tearing into it. Any good idea to test the pump sans a fuel testing gauge? If not , I might need to find a local harbor freight and make that happen. Could a failing ignition coil be another possible suspect?

What are your thoughts?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
May 20, 2013 3:29 p.m.

My experience with Miata fuel pumps is that they either work, or they don't. No real in between (not saying that it can't happen). Coil is possible, know anyone with a similar model that you could do a quick swap to see if it solves the issue?

amg_rx7 Dork
May 20, 2013 7:52 p.m.

2 ways I know how to check for a weak fuel pump. 1. monitor fuel pressure. As the pump wears, it is not able to pump at higher pressures and fuel pressure decreases as revs / fuel deliver rises. 2. check spark plugs to see if they look like they are running lean.

Before doing that, I'd check voltage on the alternator.

what year miata?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

4 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

15 hours ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

16 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

16 hours ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

1 day ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

1 day ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 day ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

1 day ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

1 day ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

2 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

2 days ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

3 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
EiX7jvXeuSezj3hhge5SCkanv4PHM0KW